Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2360563)   #2301
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I understood that the O'Brien Sierra was pretty rough when it was eventually put up for sale...

In which livery would you have restored it?

Forgot to mention the car in these panel shop pictures was used by O'Brien as a sports sedan hence the cut out engine bay and tunnel. The other car Ron had was the last Caltex car built( Hopwood / Bosnjack) and was apparently very complete and should have been all red with white stripes along bottom of doors. I found that it completed 54 laps of Bathurst and is its only history.
Which of the cars did you see David Towe at O'Briens covered in dust?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2360566)   #2302
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent65
Thanks for that GTR. I wasnt sure as i read (WDJr I think) that there were two Petch/Francevic Wolf cars and were sitting in a workshop that was broken into but not stolen. There only appeared to be one Petch/Francevic car campaigned so was wondering what came of the other car. Though it might have been acquired by the B&H team and was their first LHD taken but not raced at Bathurst '88. I havent checked the timeline to see if this is possible.
There were indeed two Petch/Francevic Wolf cars. IIRC, the workshop was owned by Bob Stevens, and although the cars were intact, several of their components were thieved (seem to remember a stolen gearbox that was cut from the car using a blowtorch, or something along those lines).

From what I've read, these cars were owned by Ian Paxton. One of the cars was entered for Bathurst for Mike Quinn and Warwick Rooklyn to drive, but the workshop break-in, plus a lack of sponsorship, put paid to that.

Pretty sure the deal to buy these two cars was concluded by Longhurst during the 88/89 off season, but I'll have a look through the Auto Actions to check. The LHD car that sat in the shed all week was definitely built by Longhurst's team.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:49 (Ref:2360567)   #2303
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
I'll list the times of the pole sitter, the fastest Sierra (the times when the fastest Sierra isn't on pole), and the time and grid position of the Bond car.

1987 (Sierra RS Cosworth)
Amaroo ATCC:
Dick Johnson, P3, 52.06s

1988 (Sierra RS500 Cosworth)
AMSCAR Rd.1:
Colin Bond, P1, 52.33s

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.01s
Dick Johnson, P2, 51.05s
Colin Bond, P3, 51.07s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Colin Bond, P1, 50.76s (ATCC Rd.8)

AMSCAR Rd.4:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.42s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.48s

AMSCAR Rd.1 (ATCC Rd.1):
Dick Johnson, P1, 51.16s
Colin Bond, P9, 52.94s

AMSCAR Rd.2 (wet track):
Brian Callaghan (TWR VL Commodore), P1, 56.32s
Tony Longhurst, P3, 57.26s
Colin Bond, P4, 57.58s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Colin Bond, P1, 51.40s

AMSCAR Rd.4:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.18s
Colin Bond, P3, 53.32s

AMSCAR Rd.1 (ATCC Rd.1):
Alan Jones, P1, 52.14s
Colin Bond, P17, 54.66s

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.18s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.30s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 50.88s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.12s

AMSCAR Rd.1:
Mark Skaife (Nissan GT-R), P1, 50.66s
Colin Bond, P3, 51.58s

ATCC Rd.6:
John Bowe, P1, 50.58s (fastest Sierra qualifying time in my records)
Colin Bond, P8, 51.68s

I don't have any data from any other AMSCAR rounds.

I don't have any qualifying times from the ATCC round.

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst (BMW M3 Evo), P1, 50.84s
Colin Bond, P2, 50.88s (fastest qualifying time for Bond's Sierra in my records)

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Mark Skaife (Nissan GT-R), P1, 50.88s
Colin Bond, P4, 51.28s
That was a quick response!!
Isnt the Bond time in '88 of 50.76s his Quickest or the '92 time? Is this his Qualy time for pole at '88 ATCC?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:53 (Ref:2360569)   #2304
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Sorry, Bond's 88 ATCC-round pole position was his quickest time around Amaroo.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:59 (Ref:2360571)   #2305
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
There were indeed two Petch/Francevic Wolf cars. IIRC, the workshop was owned by Bob Stevens, and although the cars were intact, several of their components were thieved (seem to remember a stolen gearbox that was cut from the car using a blowtorch, or something along those lines).

From what I've read, these cars were owned by Ian Paxton. One of the cars was entered for Bathurst for Mike Quinn and Warwick Rooklyn to drive, but the workshop break-in, plus a lack of sponsorship, put paid to that.

Pretty sure the deal to buy these two cars was concluded by Longhurst during the 88/89 off season, but I'll have a look through the Auto Actions to check. The LHD car that sat in the shed all week was definitely built by Longhurst's team.
So with the RHD Bathurst winner aside (sold to Mathews), the team would have had 3 LHD cars at the beginning of '89? One Gardiner built and 2 ex-Petch/Paxton. Assuming one was a spare and the Jones car is disdinguishable by its offset airjack point, Do we know if the spare was ever employed? Did either of them have a bingle warranting use of the spare? Is it possible to Identify the spare?

I have started to do a count up of individual Sierras built/raced in Oz. Will look through notes and post where I am up to. WDJr may be able to refine.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2360573)   #2306
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Sorry, Bond's 88 ATCC-round pole position was his quickest time around Amaroo.
That fine mate as long as a sierra has the quickest time!!
We may have to wait for someone to find the missing times!!
Any Nissan fans??
Bowe did knock out a quick lap. I read one year he was given a really fast time that he rejected as he knew he hadnt done that time. Will try to find article. Oh the days of stopwatches and human input!

I have to put my Dorian in the back seat at the start of the lap and then move it forward to the dash to get a quick time!
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2360575)   #2307
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do we know if the spare was ever employed? Did either of them have a bingle warranting use of the spare? Is it possible to Identify the spare?
The B&H team ran three cars at the 1990 ATCC round at Wanneroo. The usual #20 for Jones, #25 for Longhurst, plus #62 for, from memory, Neville Crichton. Whether this was it or another car...?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2360596)   #2308
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would have thought not being as it started life as Black Nettcom and predated GSR sierra days.

Bob Tweedie claims his car was built from a genuine rs500 which would seem incorrect as it doesnt have the correct chassis number for a 500. Also what happened to the second GSR sierra?
Put aside the Carter car for the moment, wasnt one of the GSR cars involved in the Lakeside crash ? If so was it repaired for their use or onsold ?

Sorry for only asking questions & not giving answers.

David
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2360644)   #2309
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which of the cars did you see David Towe at O'Briens covered in dust?
Mainly red in colour, other than that I'm lost. I was told it did just 3 racing laps at Bathurst and that was all Bondy did in it before the sponsorship deal brokedown.
Merry Christmas all.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2360969)   #2310
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
He still owns it and in August used it to win the first ever Historic Sports Sedan race.
McCormack was re-united with the car at Speed on Tweed. It's been restored to a fairly early Unipart era look to the car. Got some nice photos but I no longer have a place to host the images.

I think in 1994 that must have been the second car now owned by Roddy. Kiwi racer Roger Williams was still racing the car in Aust & NZ in 2006 IIRC. Roddy Jr pranged the car heavily at Oran Park in '07 again, IIRC.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2361063)   #2311
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Mainly red in colour, other than that I'm lost. I was told it did just 3 racing laps at Bathurst and that was all Bondy did in it before the sponsorship deal brokedown.
Merry Christmas all.
The car you viewed, if it was Mr Bond's last Bathurst car, was built up from a spare shell that was hanging around the team workshop for some time.

It did debut at Bathurst from memory and did few laps, with the usual Chinese fire drill that was Mr Bond's team, having small issues in the car, despite running that same time for 5 seasons by this time.

Would definitely have been worth the $60k... if you got a nice spares kit... or were comfortable maintaining a garage queen, with the hopes prices would rise.

Caltex continued on for Mr Bond for one more year, into another Chinese fire drill that was the Toyota Corolla project....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Dec 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2361106)   #2312
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Garage queen" that's the motorsport version of "how do you get a Kiwi millionaire in business? give him a business worth $12M and let him take it from there" isn't it?
Old 26 Dec 2008, 04:19 (Ref:2361111)   #2313
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I think in 1994 that must have been the second car now owned by Roddy..
The one used by Trenoweth in the 1994 Tranzam race at the Gold Coast Indy is the original one i'm pretty sure, even back in the Unipart colourscheme

Old 27 Dec 2008, 02:38 (Ref:2361362)   #2314
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Merry Christmas all.
3 laps was the same story I was told but Wikipedia for what its worth has them at DNF after 54 laps.

The sponsorship continued but group A finished so there was no category for it. It seems strange to build the car so near the end but maybe better than a bare shell.

David did you end up sorting your fuell cell dramas from last year?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 03:04 (Ref:2361365)   #2315
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
There were two ex-Wolf Sierras at B&H Racing, originally earmarked for use in the 1988 ATCC by Robbie Francevic. In fact, Robbie drove one of the cars at the Winton round. However, there was a lot of dispute over the legality of the car and, in the end, they didn't see any further use until the two cars were sold at the end of the year to Longhurst

If the 2 Petch /Francevic cars were sold to B&H what car did Francevic and Hahne use for Bathurst '88? Up until now I thought they must have only sold one to B&H and bulit the other into their Wittackers Peanut Slab car.
The car Robbie drove at Winton was silver and largely unsponsored but possibly painted up for a major sponsor for Bathurst if they are indeed the same car. All left hookers.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2361368)   #2316
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bowden.

As per most ID markings on any car, its production sequence numeral comes last. I can sort of see how it was interpreted otherwise.
Can I again mention that contacting Noonz with your intention to purchase anything post Group A, would be very wise. A small fee for the service, could save you some serious heartache later.

Cheers, Chris.
An extension to wise advice.
If you intend to purchase anything Group A or C do your homework as there are a few cars out there that may appear correct but are not!
You need to be sure and have all the ownership lineage. There are little things that will determine the correct ID or otherwise if you do enough research. CAMS have a lot of records which they will utilise to determine if a fake is presented. Remember all genuine cars had log books and as such a record. Not all shells have a chassis number stamped in etc. but CAMS requires a chassis number to log a car... SO BE CAREFUL!!
DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING!!! There is plenty of history books and photos to ID cars and some of the people on this forum are a fantasic source of information as they are genuine enthusiasts of these cars!!

I think the CAMS C of D eligibiltiy system is fantastic as it ensures that cars presented as genuine are the real deal!!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 04:32 (Ref:2361374)   #2317
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... where did these end up?

Mr Miedecke & Mr Smith at the WTCC Calder round

and...

Mr Giddings & Mr Smith at Bathurst 1987.

The top pic is of the chassis that burned to the ground at Lakeside... the second car ended up as a Caltex/Bond unit at one point... but where did it go?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Dec 2008, 05:44 (Ref:2361387)   #2318
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
If the 2 Petch /Francevic cars were sold to B&H what car did Francevic and Hahne use for Bathurst '88? Up until now I thought they must have only sold one to B&H and bulit the other into their Wittackers Peanut Slab car.
The car used at Bathurst in 1988 (and in the NZ Touring Car series, various '89 ATCC rounds and the '89-'90 Bathursts) was a different Wolf car. IIRC, this one was sourced through Mark Petch, in fact I think I read somewhere that Mark Petch may still actually own the car. I'll put up the Auto Action articles covering the Paxton Wolf Sierras in a couple of days.

Quote:
3 laps was the same story I was told but Wikipedia for what its worth has them at DNF after 54 laps.
The #7 Bosnjak/Hopwood car retired after 54 laps, after ploughing into the back of the Marathon Foods VL. Pretty sure this was the older Bond car with a white interior. The newer car was the #8 Bond/Smith car that had a red interior and retired after 7 laps. Not sure which car Bond used at the final AMSCAR round or the AGP support races, but I'll have a look later. He definitely used the older car at Oran Park, though.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 05:48 (Ref:2361388)   #2319
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Mr Miedecke & Mr Smith at the WTCC Calder round
What is the red car in the backround. I cant make it out. Is it an Audi???

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 27 Dec 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2361389)   #2320
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
What is the red car in the backround. I cant make it out. Is it an Audi???
Maserati BiTurbo
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2361411)   #2321
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The top pic is of the chassis that burned to the ground at Lakeside... the second car ended up as a Caltex/Bond unit at one point... but where did it go?
Which car became the Ceveri Sports Sedan?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2361415)   #2322
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The one that preceeded the chassis that burnt to the ground. The Ceveri car was the original #35 car from 1987, the car that end its life with the OXO team in in the turn 1 sand trap during final practice for that year's Sandown 500.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2361431)   #2323
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
You Tube is your friend
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Dec 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2361441)   #2324
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Maserati BiTurbo
Presumably one of the Imberti entered cars that the likes of Bruno Giacomelli and Nicola Tesini drove in the WTCC but with very little pace as development was quite limited IIRC?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2361653)   #2325
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did the BiTurbos end up?