Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Dec 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2361657)   #2326
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963
Where did the BiTurbos end up?
Back in Europe. Mr Bartlett was trying to do a deal to buy them before driving one.... there were a number of technical issues, and preparation problems with the cars...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Dec 2008, 03:48 (Ref:2361698)   #2327
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two were at Bathurst in 1987, #1 and #1T, they wanted to race them both, but the ARDC wouldn't accept their second entry (they only entered one car, thinking that their WTCC entry accounted for the other entry, not so said the ARDC).

Thomas Lindstrom ran one in the 1988 ETCC, and Nick May ran another in the BTCC. Whether they were the two Imberti cars, or new cars..? Perhaps chunterer, KA or Jesper can help

Mike Quinn wanted to run one circa-1989 as well.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2361703)   #2328
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Two were at Bathurst in 1987, #1 and #1T, they wanted to race them both, but the ARDC wouldn't accept their second entry (they only entered one car, thinking that their WTCC entry accounted for the other entry, not so said the ARDC).

Thomas Lindstrom ran one in the 1988 ETCC, and Nick May ran another in the BTCC. Whether they were the two Imberti cars, or new cars..? Perhaps chunterer, KA or Jesper can help

Maybe its just me, but it seemed very easy back then to buy a Rouse kit car, and be competitive (if you kept the parts up to the cars...)

Quite why the Maserati couldnt have had the same amount of love applied, to be much quicker than it ended up when here, is interesting...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Dec 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2361734)   #2329
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Speaking of a Rouse kit car....

WOW!!

Now even the development series tail gunners seem to be able to do 15's on their ear....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Dec 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2361765)   #2330
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Have heard of two Maseratis entered for Bathurt '87, but didn't realise that two cars actually made it down under!

Once I had a link to a Maserati page with chassis numbers for the Biturbo WTCC and assorted Italian runners, but can't find it now. The page had no info on the Trident Motorsport BTCC car or the Thomas Lindström ETCC car, both of 1988, so to the best of my believe is that both teams build their own cars. Lindström and his father build their own Volvo 240 Turbos, before Thomas was enrolled into the 1985 Eggenberger camp and to my best believe (nothing else, sadly) his 1987 WTCC Alfa 75 Turbo was also a Swedish build. The Marlboro Biturbo (was supposed to be two early on) of 1988 ETCC fame was a Swedish product and when the ETCC stopped, STCC awaited: http://www.teambild.se/arkiv/details...75&mode=search

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 28 Dec 2008 at 09:48.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2361807)   #2331
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Once I had a link to a Maserati page with chassis numbers for the Biturbo WTCC and assorted Italian runners, but can't find it now.
Pretty sure that this is the site that you're thinking of:

http://www.mybiturbo.com/biturbo/home%20english.htm
Old 28 Dec 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2361818)   #2332
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

WOW!!

Now even the development series tail gunners seem to be able to do 15's on their ear....
Resurfacing and reprofiling of a few corners have assisted, tyre technology etc all helps!

Oh, hang on, I forgot, Australia's best drivers are in our Premier class now, and all due to talent
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2361862)   #2333
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The second car showed up as #2 and they seemed surprised someone else had the #2. It became #1T so they could get all three drivers qualified since all three did not have a lot of experience with the car.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2362058)   #2334
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

WOW!!

Thats the sexiest Mobil 1 Commodore I ever saw, hehe.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:54 (Ref:2362131)   #2335
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5
Put aside the Carter car for the moment, wasn't one of the GSR cars involved in the Lakeside crash ? If so was it repaired for their use or onsold ?

Sorry for only asking questions & not giving answers.

David
I'm not sure, but I think Glenn's Sierra was completely destroyed in that crash.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2362133)   #2336
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I'm not sure, but I think Glenn's Sierra was completely destroyed in that crash.
Here

I thought the Great Race books suggested that they managed to pull the GSR Sierra straight again for the enduros....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Dec 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2362156)   #2337
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The second car showed up as #2 and they seemed surprised someone else had the #2. It became #1T so they could get all three drivers qualified since all three did not have a lot of experience with the car.
It was interesting in that respect (car numbers) that Grice had to run #3 at Wellington. The Maserati effort stopped after Calder, Hahne indeed drove a Sierra at the finale at Mt Fuji.

Of the Bathurst drivers, only Bartlett lacked experience in the car, Hahne & Giacomelli had been driving it all year. Maybe it was more a case of Hahne setting the #1 car up properly as he knew car & track, while Bartlett could learn the car and Giacomelli the track in #1T (not that it helped Bruno)

On what happened to the ProTeam/Imberti Maserati's (and others), they must have had 3 of them in 1987, as three were entered for the second WTCC round at Jarama, though none qualified.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2362158)   #2338
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So... where did these end up?

Mr Miedecke & Mr Smith at the WTCC Calder round

and...

Mr Giddings & Mr Smith at Bathurst 1987.

The top pic is of the chassis that burned to the ground at Lakeside... the second car ended up as a Caltex/Bond unit at one point... but where did it go?
The top car was the spare shell that was used after the Sandown rollover. I have a RCN with a workshop photo of the 34 & 35 cars and the painted spare in the corner. They are idnetifiable by the cage configuration. This replacement car debuted at Bathurst '87, matched the pace of the Texaco cars and led for quite awhile until the alternator charge wire came loose. Miedecke says to this day this was the best sierra he ever drove! It was lost in the lakeside BBQ.

The second car photo was of Bathurst '87 and by this stage owned by John Giddings. It was the first sierra home and the first to finish a Bathurst. It was used by Colin Bond to run the ATCC in '88 and win AMSCAR. It was then campaigned by Giddings and Stewart for Bondyingain in '88 and finished 5th. After Bathurst '88 it sat under Bruce Stewarts Clothes line for awhile and was sold to a privateer

The second
Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2362160)   #2339
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
[quote=bent65]
Dont know why post went up unfinished?

The top car was the spare shell that was used after the Sandown rollover. I have a RCN with a workshop photo of the 34 & 35 cars and the painted spare in the corner. The two first cars are are identifiable from the third by the cage configuration. This replacement car debuted at Bathurst '87, matched the pace of the Texaco cars and led for quite awhile until the alternator charge wire came loose and Mad Andy got caught in pits by the pace car debarckle. He passed the black car going up the hill so anyone that says Aussies couldnt match the pace of the European cars in race trim are mistaken. Miedecke says to this day this was the best sierra he ever drove! It was lost in the lakeside BBQ.

The second car/photo was of Bathurst '87 and by this stage owned by John Giddings. It was the first sierra home and the first to finish a Bathurst. It was used by Colin Bond to run the ATCC in '88 and win AMSCAR. It was then campaigned at the enduros by Giddings and Stewart for Bondy again in '88 and finished 5th at the hill. After Bathurst '88 it sat under Bruce Stewarts clothes line for awhile and was sold to a privateer who peeled the Caltex signage off and raced it once or twice in '89 and has been parked up ever since. Its now undergoing a light restoration to bring it up to race conditon and be raced again in historic Group A.

The rolled shell was bought by Mike Ceveri and converted to sports sedan. He says the roll cage was still straight and they pulled the body back true around it. The front and alot of the floor and quarters were removed and flared. The car was very quick with Mike driving.

Don Smith told me, as he was retiring at the end of '87 he wanted to retain the #35 car but he rolled it. The original plan was that the third car was to be readied for Midecke for the '88 season or (as it turned out) used for a spare for '87. He also told me he supplied/sourced the first two shells for DJR from Rouse. He's sure he brought in 5 shells late in '86. This would make sense as he had 3 and DJR 2. RCN has the OXO cars displayed at Adelaide (I think) in '86 and Don believes they predate the Johnson cars?

Great photos GTR!! Where did you get the #34 photo??
Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2362163)   #2340
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
The Noske car is most likely the repaired/reshelled Sheene car. Barry Lake's writeup in Modern Motor on his test drive of the #05 Sierra has a picture of the car post-crash. The magazine's sitting around here somewhere...

EDIT: Looks like GTRMagic beat me to it! BTW, where on earth did you find those pictures of the Brock Sierra (and the M3 that's on one of the other threads)? I've never seen either of those before!

Noske drove the car at Symmons Plains, Phillip Island, and Winton. The livery of the car isn't very well documented by either Racing Car News or the 1990 ATCC review DVD; the pictures (from Symmons Plains) that chavez mentions in the 1990 Great Race book are the best ones I can find. This is my approximation:

The LHD DJR car went to TrakStar in England for the 1989 BTCC, where the car was driven by Mike Smith.

There were two ex-Wolf Sierras at B&H Racing, originally earmarked for use in the 1988 ATCC by Robbie Francevic. In fact, Robbie drove one of the cars at the Winton round. However, there was a lot of dispute over the legality of the car and, in the end, they didn't see any further use until the two cars were sold at the end of the year to Longhurst.

I'm still working on scanning that picture of Brock unloading the ex-ICS Rouse Sierra.
Had a look at the Barry lake article. It has some great shots of the bent car. It only goes in at the front so looks like it would be a reasonably easy repair.
The people that were at Winton and drove the cars were Brock, Jones Barry Sheene, Barry lake (journo) and Mark Larkham driving anything but a formula ford for the first time. Some good photos of inside as well and looks almost certain the cars had aluminium cages.

Thge article quotes Alan Gow as manager of Brock's Austech company yet they were always entered by Advantage Racing???
Old 29 Dec 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2362185)   #2341
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both ex Wolf cars were used at Bathurst in 1989, one as the # 20 Jones / Hulme car and one as 20T, back when T cars were allowed. The Wolf car entered at Bathurst in 1988 by Mark Petch had been used in that year's ETCC, Bathurst was it first Australasian race.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2362209)   #2342
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent65
Thge article quotes Alan Gow as manager of Brock's Austech company yet they were always entered by Advantage Racing???
Austech was the company making the Brock body kits & enhancements for Falcons, Mavericks/Patrols & later on some Louisville trucks...

The pics are from a hard drive that seems to have no limits.... hope I can find more when I migrate to a new machine next year
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Dec 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2362215)   #2343
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A few nice SuperTourers (amongst other things..) for sale & prepared Here
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2362388)   #2344
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A few nice SuperTourers (amongst other things..) for sale & prepared Here
The Carina looks pretty cool actually.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2362426)   #2345
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It was interesting in that respect (car numbers) that Grice had to run #3 at Wellington. The Maserati effort stopped after Calder, Hahne indeed drove a Sierra at the finale at Mt Fuji.

Of the Bathurst drivers, only Bartlett lacked experience in the car, Hahne & Giacomelli had been driving it all year. Maybe it was more a case of Hahne setting the #1 car up properly as he knew car & track, while Bartlett could learn the car and Giacomelli the track in #1T (not that it helped Bruno)

On what happened to the ProTeam/Imberti Maserati's (and others), they must have had 3 of them in 1987, as three were entered for the second WTCC round at Jarama, though none qualified.
I had forgotten Armin Hahne was involved in the BiTurbo effort all season in Europe, but simply hadn't realised Allan Grice had a go?!! Have I understood this correctly?
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2362522)   #2346
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
I meant in terms of Grice running #2 all year on his Commodore, yet Imberti wanted (expected) to run #1 & #2 on their entries at Bathurst. It was interesting that Grice ran #3 at Wellington, where there were no Maserati's
Old 30 Dec 2008, 01:42 (Ref:2362524)   #2347
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would the maserati be the most unusual & rarest of the group A cars?
Old 30 Dec 2008, 04:50 (Ref:2362546)   #2348
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
By lack of experience, I had meant the cars were a bit fragile and race miles had been hard to come by.

Hey - what ever happened to the various Commodores, Perkins built IIRC, that were raced under the "Indonesian Racing Team" by Tommy Suharto, I mean Hutomo MP. I think there were some Reynard F-Holdens there too.

Last edited by Falcadore; 30 Dec 2008 at 04:53.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2362554)   #2349
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
By lack of experience, I had meant the cars were a bit fragile and race miles had been hard to come by.

Hey - what ever happened to the various Commodores, Perkins built IIRC, that were raced under the "Indonesian Racing Team" by Tommy Suharto, I mean Hutomo MP. I think there were some Reynard F-Holdens there too.
wonder if he paid for the cars,at the AGP in South Aust one year the Hotel ,Hilton? held his passport till he paided.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2362557)   #2350
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
For sale: The Grate Car
#CANCERSUCKS