Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3744766)   #2351
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure the front wheel of the Corvette made contact with the Aston. Not convinced the contact caused that.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3744767)   #2352
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
According to timing, only the top 3 were on the same lap.

I think that the leader in LMP1 passed the 4th and 5th place cars in GTE on his final lap which ends their race artificially. Whereas the top 3 continued for an extra lap. That 91 Porsche was for certain on the lead lap all race long. I was following them closely.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3744769)   #2353
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So happy to see the Porsche claim the victory. Nothing against the LMP2 teams, but I really dislike the new spec of LMPC cars. If the ruleset were more open, I'd have been thrilled to see a P2 car win, but tightly controlled spec prototypes don't belong at Lemans.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3744770)   #2354
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not sure the front wheel of the Corvette made contact with the Aston. Not convinced the contact caused that.
I think it was a delayed puncture, after he cut the first Mulsanne chicane.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3744771)   #2355
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2017 Le Mans 24 Hours Race Thread

Still can't believe Aston finally got this monkey off their back!! V8 Vantage swan-song!
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3744773)   #2356
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder how hard this is for Webber.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3744774)   #2357
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
So happy to see the Porsche claim the victory. Nothing against the LMP2 teams, but I really dislike the new spec of LMPC cars. If the ruleset were more open, I'd have been thrilled to see a P2 car win, but tightly controlled spec prototypes don't belong at Lemans.
I won't say that they don't belong at LeMans, but not in the podium, especially after becoming, to nobody's surprise, a one-make trophy.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3744775)   #2358
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Wonder how hard this is for Webber.
Why? He wanted to leave.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3744776)   #2359
Rookie

500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A really eventful and interesting race. This year again shows how "pushed to the edge" the PI hybrids are...

Great to see Hartley record a first Le Mans win. I was watching the Porsche feed for car #2 and they switched it over to the camera that faces the driver for the last race lap and cool down lap. It was great to see Timo's reaction. Who would have thought that car could win when the problems first hit early in the race?

Tough race for Toyota obviously... I don't believe in curses though. They have every chance to win next time.

I wonder how this may or may not influence Porsche's decision to continue? I can see the reason why they may want to sit out for two years, as I think the 919 is getting long in the tooth and building a new car as a two year stopgap is an expensive proposition, but it is also not cheap to just develop the old car and run, so it will depend on what they determine is really possible. LMP1H is too expensive with limited marketing impact to just make up the numbers for a year or two... Anyway, that is a decision for later, right now they have just bagged a 19th overall win!
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3744777)   #2360
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These Germans know how to win this race. It's not coincidence, it's not luck. They know exactly what is needed to win LM.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3744779)   #2361
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Not bad for a race that was declared over after 11 hours and a half.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3744780)   #2362
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 View Post
A really eventful and interesting race. This year again shows how "pushed to the edge" the PI hybrids are...

Great to see Hartley record a first Le Mans win. I was watching the Porsche feed for car #2 and they switched it over to the camera that faces the driver for the last race lap and cool down lap. It was great to see Timo's reaction. Who would have thought that car could win when the problems first hit early in the race?

Tough race for Toyota obviously... I don't believe in curses though. They have every chance to win next time.

I wonder how this may or may not influence Porsche's decision to continue? I can see the reason why they may want to sit out for two years, as I think the 919 is getting long in the tooth and building a new car as a two year stopgap is an expensive proposition, but it is also not cheap to just develop the old car and run, so it will depend on what they determine is really possible. LMP1H is too expensive with limited marketing impact to just make up the numbers for a year or two... Anyway, that is a decision for later, right now they have just bagged a 19th overall win!

I'm clinging to my idea that they rebadge the stillborn 2017 Audi R18 . If they could fit a V6 diesel lump in the back, then a V4 will have no problem fitting in the back of the R18.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:39 (Ref:3744781)   #2363
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Why? He wanted to leave.
Why did he leave?
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3744782)   #2364
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If only Audi had been racing this year.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3744783)   #2365
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why did he leave?
He sounded miserable in the interviews he did afterwards. Saying it's not fun. Also said he wouldn't do V8s or anything because they're too slow and not fun. Basically if it wasn't F1 he wasn't interested.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3744784)   #2366
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why did he leave?
He retired from racing I believe, and announced fairly early so don't think he was pushed out. Didn't seem like there was any desire left for racing, maybe series, maybe cars, maybe co-drivers but sounded like he wanted to go
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3744785)   #2367
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Toyota can't keep up this punishment year after year surely.

Great event. I focused mostly on the GTE battle with all the onboard cams. And a great finish there.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3744787)   #2368
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Toyota can't keep up this punishment year after year surely.

Great event. I focused mostly on the GTE battle with all the onboard cams. And a great finish there.
But remember a different group than usual pays for Toyota to race, it's supposedly actual R&D money they are spending. Think the engineering exercise is still the challenge for them, and with the gentlemen's agreement with Porsche they can think ahead with smaller tweaks for '18 & '19 over the rebuilds each off season. Porsche on the other hand is a toss up for leave vs stay. Wonder what the ACO would say about LM only for 2018-19?
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3744788)   #2369
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't think Porsche is going to miss the opportunity for win #20.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3744790)   #2370
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Interview with De Chaunac: he laments how unlucky Toyota was, how excellent their preparation was. How good the LMP2 battle was, how good the Oreca LMP2 car, how good Th. Laurent is. etc...

Not A Single Word About Porsche.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3744791)   #2371
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Interview with De Chaunac: he laments how unlucky Toyota was, how excellent their preparation was. How good the LMP2 battle was, how good the Oreca LMP2 car, how good Th. Laurent is. etc...

Oh c'mon, do you still expect common courtesy or sportsmanship from Hughesy? You're a better man than me.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3744792)   #2372
Articus
Veteran

2017 Le Mans 24 Hours Race Thread

Quote:

can you blame him!! He's got all sorts of reasons to be bitter the last 3 years. Isn't Porsche undefeated since their return?
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3744793)   #2373
Skemer
Racer

Netherlands
Aalsmeer
Skemer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Porsche would quit, it would be a bit like handing Toyota the win if they continue. More reason for Toyota to call it quits too if there is no competition in LMP-H.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3744795)   #2374
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Oh c'mon, do you still expect common courtesy or sportsmanship from Hughesy? You're a better man than me.
Silly me!
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3744796)   #2375
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
can you blame him!! He's got all sorts of reasons to be bitter the last 3 years. Isn't Porsche undefeated since their return?
He's racing a major factory effort and convinced the ACO to transform LMP2 into a one-make series (his make - they used his existing car as a base for the new rules). He has two of his cars on the podium. No sympathy from me...