Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Aug 2012, 17:58 (Ref:3119031)   #2351
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I personally wouldn't like to see those regulation, for the reason that the cars would most likely look like GT cars, or some sort of mutant GT. Those regulations would eliminate pretty much every single Le Mans winner since the pre war days, with the exception of the Ford GT40 and McLaren F1.
But you are entitled to your preferences
...and the Porsche 935.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3119035)   #2352
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the Dauer 962 is road legal, so I guess also the 82-86 winner would fit
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3119036)   #2353
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So with that kind of rule provisions, it is possible to create a LMP car Machin?
Well, I think my photo-shopped images on the previous page give a fair indication of what the cars might look like... "Mutant GT cars" if you like...

Quote:
Those regulations would eliminate pretty much every single Le Mans winner since the pre war days, with the exception of the Ford GT40 and McLaren F1.
A 911 GT1 nearly won in 1997 (and did in 1998, but by then had morphed into something resembling todays cars)...

...I'd say the group c cars share more in the looks department with my rules than they do with the current cars...

and of course the 1965 (250LM).... 1964 (275P)... 1963 (250P)...etc etc were pretty much "proper" sportscars....
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3119043)   #2354
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have Audi, Toyota, Porsche, and you should hear next year about another Japanese manufacturer stepping up it's LMP1 program early next year for 2014. While I kind of like these proposals, I don't think it's time for the ACO to make any changes to the 2014 regs unless you see a mass-manufacturer pullout.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 01:40 (Ref:3119144)   #2355
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machin View Post
Its interesting to note what makes a high performance road car look like a road car rather the current LMPs, since both are (supposedly) 2 seater, 4-wheel vehicles:-
  • The biggest difference of course is that a road car like the McLaren MP4 12c is a proper two seater, seating two people in a relatively upright comfortable position... not a one and a half seater with a fire extinguisher/battery/KERS system in the passenger seat and a "green house" that is too big for one and too small for two.
  • The other difference is that a road car, even a high performance one, needs to have at least a little luggage space (generally at the front of a mid or rear engine vehicle).
  • The final area for main differences is related to safety legislation; bumpers and lights must be at or above a certain height above the road, and sharp edges must not present themselves in case of collision with pedetrians.

The issues above would set the basis for my "Prototype Sportscar" chassis rules, the rules governing the bodywork itself would be relatively free, but of course it would have to wrap itself around the larger passenger area that would be mandated. Fire extinguisers/batteries/KERS systems would need to be either in the engine bay area or in the "luggage" area; not the driver/passenger area.

Given those simple "road car" rules it would be interesting to see what aerodynamic solutions would be achieved; solutions that would be directly related, and applicable, to the challenges faced by road car designers....
I would love the application of these rules to LMP1.
We would have cars similar to some GT1 late 90s or The Corvette LMP1 EVO. These cars are more beautiful than the current LMP1.
Maybe you could allow 2 types of LMP1, current and these cars more similar to the GT with more power. The ACO looking to do something like this in 2010 but ultimately did not happen.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/26/w...p1-challenger/
http://jalopnik.com/5272490/corvette...that-never-was
Old 13 Aug 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3119217)   #2356
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the old gt1 cars are awesome they were my intro to "prototypes" the problem was that they were probably always going to evolve toward where they ended up with the TS020 as practically pure race cars irrelevant to road going machines except for a handful (if that many) of homologation specials that are really only any good as a race car you can drive to the track if there isn't going to be any traffic,towns,speed bumps etc on the way there. yes the current cars are restricted and thats a sad thing i'd like to see things like the delta wing spats un-banned what i don't want is rules mandating that these cars be restricted any further to push them to be dressed up (poorly) as cars they have nothing to do with silhouettes are fine they can even be cool bu there is a reason they have a different name to prototypes.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3119278)   #2357
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I would like to see in LMP1 is genuine freedom of aerodynamics, or appearance if you like, within a stipulated set of maximum dimensions and minimum weight. I'd ban traction control and automatic ride height adjustments and the like because I want the driver to be driving. Engine wise I'd limit the fuel as they plan to do and leave the rest up to the engineers. Until/if a point is reached when they are hitting silly horsepower figures, i.e over 900. For me anything with luggage space, road legal head lamps, spare wheels and passenger space is not a Sports Prototype, its something else called a Silhouette.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3120245)   #2358
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The cynic in me says "road relevancy" (generally in any racing) is just two overused words a manufacturer can repeat in a soporific press release.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3120271)   #2359
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if there would be a time where F1 and Le Mans cars were created from a single tub chassis?

Since the 2014 regs would somehow share technologies with Formula One, I would take a guess that they would plan to propose a shared tub too that they can customize what aero parts would be suitable for either sprint or endurance races.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3120278)   #2360
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I wonder if there would be a time where F1 and Le Mans cars were created from a single tub chassis?

Since the 2014 regs would somehow share technologies with Formula One, I would take a guess that they would plan to propose a shared tub too that they can customize what aero parts would be suitable for either sprint or endurance races.
That would not be possible.
1. You cannot design and build a F1 Tube, and than take a 2nd tube to complete a closed prototype because it would have the strenght etc...

2. In a monocoque you have attatchement points for the engine, pushrod, damper/spring, wishbones integrated and these are quite different from an F1 Car.

3. The Position of the driver is quite different. In an LMP1, the driver will seat more upright instead of an F1 Car, where the driver will lay in the tube and has a lot of problems of being able to have a look over his feet or the center of the Monocoque.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3120338)   #2361
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Since the 2014 regs would
More like could, powertrain-wise...
Old 15 Aug 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3120409)   #2362
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not "quite" (!) F1 levels of performance, but there do already exist small manufacturers which produce race cars which either have "formula" type bodywork or "sportscar" bodywork, an example is;

http://www.stohr.com/html/dsr.html

So "yes" it could happen, however it would require the ACO to drop the current "1.5 seater" rule they currently employ on their prototypes and go for true singleseaters... whether that is something you'd like to see is another question... and much down to personal preference ( my opinion is in the above posts, but that's just my opinion!).
Old 16 Aug 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3120523)   #2363
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machin View Post
Not "quite" (!) F1 levels of performance, but there do already exist small manufacturers which produce race cars which either have "formula" type bodywork or "sportscar" bodywork, an example is;

http://www.stohr.com/html/dsr.html

So "yes" it could happen, however it would require the ACO to drop the current "1.5 seater" rule they currently employ on their prototypes and go for true singleseaters... whether that is something you'd like to see is another question... and much down to personal preference ( my opinion is in the above posts, but that's just my opinion!).
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Of course, the seat itself needs to fit many body types.

In the near future, prototypes would be a single seater while GTs will remain a two seater.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3120565)   #2364
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
... In the near future, prototypes would be a single seater while GTs will remain a two seater.
Well, that will be the day I lose interest in prototype sportscar racing and hope it never happens. I'm not much impressed with all of the current pointy nose monocoques with virtually exposed suspension as it is. I want my sportscars to remain closed wheel 'cars' with, theoretically at least, enough space for a passenger seat. The Allard J2X-C has a lot to answer for!
Old 16 Aug 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3120590)   #2365
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
Well, that will be the day I lose interest in prototype sportscar racing and hope it never happens. I'm not much impressed with all of the current pointy nose monocoques with virtually exposed suspension as it is. I want my sportscars to remain closed wheel 'cars' with, theoretically at least, enough space for a passenger seat. The Allard J2X-C has a lot to answer for!
Well, how about creating a wide tub chassis so that it will convert from a double-seater to a single-seater and vice-verse.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3120664)   #2366
Lorenzo S
Racer

England
Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Lorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLorenzo S should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, how about creating a wide tub chassis so that it will convert from a double-seater to a single-seater and vice-verse.
Sorry, that just isn't going to happen! No Formula category would want to saddle itself with chassis regulations that insist on a minimum width that would be big enough for two seats! I wouldn't ever want to see spec chassis regulations across multiple branches of motorsport anyway. Using the tired old mantra of saving money to force more and more standardization is a croc'...
Old 16 Aug 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3120690)   #2367
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Deggis posted an article in the Toyota TS030, in which Yoshiaki Kinoshlta expressed that he was very unhappy with the 2014 rules.

I found another article which explains why Toyota believes that the rules unfair for petrol engines.
source: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012...k-to-wrc-30907
I wonder if 'fair' regulations are possible in the perspective. Is not this issue is inherent to the allowance of different fuels?
Old 16 Aug 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3120696)   #2368
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Kinosh!ta's claims were sort of debunked in this thread earlier though.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3120715)   #2369
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo S View Post
Sorry, that just isn't going to happen! No Formula category would want to saddle itself with chassis regulations that insist on a minimum width that would be big enough for two seats! I wouldn't ever want to see spec chassis regulations across multiple branches of motorsport anyway. Using the tired old mantra of saving money to force more and more standardization is a croc'...
Well, it's your call. But I guess this proposal will not be ready in either today or in the near future.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3120752)   #2370
Flo aus N
Rookie

Well, I'm not sure if a diesel will have an advantage in 2014. There is one other Team, which will field a Gasoline powered car, but you heared nothing about the regulations or a disadvantge from that big Team: Porsche

They are very quit und have or had no complains about the diesel vs. gasoline discussion and that is very suspicious...
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3120962)   #2371
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo aus N View Post
Well, I'm not sure if a diesel will have an advantage in 2014. There is one other Team, which will field a Gasoline powered car, but you heared nothing about the regulations or a disadvantge from that big Team: Porsche

They are very quit und have or had no complains about the diesel vs. gasoline discussion and that is very suspicious...

Perhaps this is the reason: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fi...r-2015-424697/
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:47 (Ref:3120968)   #2372
Flo aus N
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Well.... German Media, especialley papers like the "Sport Bild" is trying to write Audi or VW into F1 since 2002 or something like that. Every year, they are writing the same stories, often when they dont know, what they should write about F1 in ther weekly articles.

1 week ago Monisha Kaltenborn and Peter Sauber claimed, that they wont stay in F1 with a manufactor, in this case, especially VW.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3120972)   #2373
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Well, I am happy if it is not true. I have no desire to see Weissach being used for such unholy purposes.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3120990)   #2374
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Motor Fan Illustrated reports Le Mans project of Dr. Yoshimasa Hayashi.
*Latest L-SHV spec is as follows.
-Engine name: YR45-SHV
-Engine type: 90 degree V8
-Displacement: 4495cc
-Bore/Stroke ratio: 95mm*79.3mm
-Valves per cylinder: 4
-Compaction ratio: 13.0
*This engine is already completed.
*They are going to carry out running test by using XJR-15 as a study car by the end of 2012.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3121094)   #2375
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo aus N View Post
1 week ago Monisha Kaltenborn and Peter Sauber claimed, that they wont stay in F1 with a manufactor, in this case, especially VW.
Source?

This Sauber-VW connection is a legit rumor.

http://www.inautonews.com/sauber-fue...s-of-vw-tie-up
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...ng-up-rumours/