Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jan 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2374196)   #2426
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR Mustang

Hi,
This most definatly is a DJR Mustang. It was bought back by Dick from a guy in WA that ran the car. It had a dry sump Cleveland in it when I saw it at Dick's factory, with a Super T10, 9 inch diff, 17" wheels, 1986-87 livery and the 1985 bonnet scoop. The fella in WA raced it as an all white car and DJR painted it green again...must have missed the insides.

Regards,
Nev.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 03:47 (Ref:2374197)   #2427
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we turn to rally cars for a second... a sister car to the Group N(P) multiple time winner in the hands of Mr Bates & Mr Evans... Here seems impossibly cheap... for the performance!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2374263)   #2428
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeN #088 P7
FOR SALE
FPR Chassis BF501
* Multiple Round Winner with Jason Bright
* Car is complete FPR spec
* Completely rebuilt and ready for 2009 season (less engine)
* If you want to win the Fujitsu series, this is the car to do it
PRICED TO SELL
Contact Keith Evers xxxx xxx xxx
Along with a pic of the 2008 Britek-prepared Irwin Tools car.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2374402)   #2429
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, are you questioning the heritage of the Marshall machine or the rather startling claim the car is capable of winning the 2009 Fujitsu series?
Old 19 Jan 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2374406)   #2430
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not going to do much winning without a motor...
Old 19 Jan 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2374415)   #2431
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the britek motor but am missing the car
engine possibly for sale
Old 19 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2374437)   #2432
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60
GTR, are you questioning the heritage of the Marshall machine or the rather startling claim the car is capable of winning the 2009 Fujitsu series?
If this car is identified as BF501, it suggests that the ex-Patrizi FPR chassis can be identified as 502... the questioning is more around the chassis remaining in FPR spec... it never performed like an FPR car did in 2008...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2374559)   #2433
GML-31
Rookie

GML-31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re cunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
What about the Craven Mild Racing Holden Commodore from 1980?

As far as i know only 1 was built, for Bob Morris when he joined the team for 1980 (bringing the Channel 7 backing), alongside Allan Grice in the Torana (interestingly, both cars swapped and changed between #1 and #7 at times during the year). Morris won the Oran Park round of the 1980 ATCC after Kevin Bartlett's :::9 Camaro was disqualified, but all in all was a poor year.

Craven Mild Racing were originally going to run a BMW 635csi (for Grice) and the Commodore at Bathurst, but when the BMW was knocked back, Morris left to team with Bill O'Brien in a Falcon (taking the Channel 7 money with him) and left Allan Grice and John Smith to drive the Commodore (as #6), leading the race after Johnson crashed out, until overhauled by first John Harvey then Peter Brock.

Of course for 1981 Craven Mild Racing became JPS Team BMW, and Gardner and Grice ran the BMW 635csi.

The Commodore as far as i know went to a then very young Neil Cunningham for the season. He ran out of money though for 1982 and switched to open-wheelers (these days races in the British GT Championship, and has for a number of years)

But what has happened to the car?
only just joined and just starting to read through this thread,this is what the car looked like when Neil owned it. Before this he had Charlie O'Briens L34 and he left Australia with Jack Brabham's sons to contest formula 3

Old 19 Jan 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2374835)   #2434
dazza027
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If this car is identified as BF501, it suggests that the ex-Patrizi FPR chassis can be identified as 502... the questioning is more around the chassis remaining in FPR spec... it never performed like an FPR car did in 2008...
Thats the thing, FPR spec of what era? FPR spec of 2004-5 included regular detonation of engines remember. The car was reasonably fast in Lowndesy's capable hands but very fragile. Just because it says FPR spec it doesnt necessarily mean FPR current spec does it? Same can be said for the car being called a GT, did it get a GT chassis number like all the road cars? Did it start life as a GT? FPR are the racing arm of FPV and I guess if they say its a GT then its a bloody GT...
Old 19 Jan 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2374842)   #2435
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
Thats the thing, FPR spec of what era? FPR spec of 2004-5 included regular detonation of engines remember. The car was reasonably fast in Lowndesy's capable hands but very fragile. Just because it says FPR spec it doesnt necessarily mean FPR current spec does it? Same can be said for the car being called a GT, did it get a GT chassis number like all the road cars? Did it start life as a GT? FPR are the racing arm of FPV and I guess if they say its a GT then its a bloody GT...
It begs the question as to why IntaRace didnt use this chassis until the 888 FG showed up...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Jan 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2374856)   #2436
dazza027
Racer

How many times has the thing been bent?
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2375191)   #2437
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter-Nelson
Hi Henry,
If you are referring to the DJR Mustang that competed at MCM on the Sunday, that is the car Ross Donnelly has just completed the resto on in NZ. I understand he is going through the CofD process now to race this year in the Historics. He started in the DJR car after parking the Pine Pak Mustang against the wall between turn 3-4 (I think?) on the Saturday.

Regards
Nev.
AHA! That would make it the original car which appeared at Bathurst for practice only in 1984 in white paint, with #71 on the doors, was painted green for 1985, finishing the ATCC 2nd overall, went to Bathurst as the "not-quite-legal" #18 spare car which was almost raced by Moffat and Delecourt... went to NZ early 1986 in black paint for Johnson/Crichton, ran as the T car at Bathurst, and was crunched in the 1987 Nissan-Mobil series before it was to be handed to new owner, Robbie Ker! I wasn't sure that it still existed, as little has been revealed of its life post-Johnson, especially following the massive hit it took in 1987... judging by the photos, Ross has done some VERY good work.

The machine in the Bathurst museum would be the Bowden-owned car then, and despite the white interior, and bitsa body, it's the genuine article, and the car that promised so much in the 1985 enduroes, and gave DJ his only Mustang voctory, at the AGP meet in 1985... at least that's how I recall it...
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2375196)   #2438
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry

The machine in the Bathurst museum would be the Bowden-owned car then, and despite the white interior, and bitsa body, it's the genuine article, and the car that promised so much in the 1985 enduroes, and gave DJ his only Mustang voctory, at the AGP meet in 1985... at least that's how I recall it...
I should have put that in the post when I put the pic up. The sign on the car says thanks to Bowdens for loaning the museum the car

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2375210)   #2439
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
I should have put that in the post when I put the pic up. The sign on the car says thanks to Bowdens for loaning the museum the car
It's all good... a picture's worth a thousand words!
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2375218)   #2440
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Speaking of pictures,
Does anyone have any close up shots of the 87 Moffat ANZ sierra. I am trying to get the decals that are on the front and rear bumper sides.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 20 Jan 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2375340)   #2441
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something to be aware of is that the logos on the car changed throughout the week. The front bumper was replaced completely after Rouse hit a dog early in the week, plus logos were added or changed right up until raceday.

I've never found any close-up photos of the car, either. I don't have any scanned photos to hand, but here's what I know of the logos that appeared on the car on raceday:

- The sides of the front bumper have a Super Ford Magazine logo (dark blue text on white) above a Maintenance Free Pulsar Power Pack logo (red text on white).

- The rear bumper has two logos. The one nearer the wheel arch is a black Speed Pro logo. Unfortunately, I've never been able to identify the other, red, logo.

Here are a few references for the logos:

Old 20 Jan 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2375499)   #2442
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
You are a champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 20 Jan 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2375526)   #2443
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
- The rear bumper has two logos. The one nearer the wheel arch is a black Speed Pro logo. Unfortunately, I've never been able to identify the other, red, logo.
The red logo next to the Speed Pro logo on the side of the rear bumper looks like it says "Hello Comet" (i.e. the then TNT owned courier company).

It's written in white cursive laid diagonally on the red rectangular background.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2375536)   #2444
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the original DJR Mustang(s) Gr A

Quote:
AHA! That would make it the original car which appeared at Bathurst for practice only in 1984 in white paint, with #71 on the doors, was painted green for 1985, finishing the ATCC 2nd overall, went to Bathurst as the "not-quite-legal" #18 spare car which was almost raced by Moffat and Delecourt... went to NZ early 1986 in black paint for Johnson/Crichton, ran as the T car at Bathurst, and was crunched in the 1987 Nissan-Mobil series before it was to be handed to new owner, Robbie Ker! I wasn't sure that it still existed, as little has been revealed of its life post-Johnson, especially following the massive hit it took in 1987... judging by the photos, Ross has done some VERY good work.

The white Mustang(s) DJR sourced from Zakspeed in Europe, fuzzy memory says there were two (2).
The victory in Adelaide was a fabulous race.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2375650)   #2445
avors
Rookie

Australia
avors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Your 100% correct Henry, the Donnelly car is the ist Zacspeed car, first appearance in Aus Bathurst 84 (practise only) 2nd in the Championship in 85, had a few big hits in NZ but was very complete when Ross found it (would post some photos if I knew how, any one help?) the Bowdens car (the second Zacspeed car) 4th at Bathurst 86, is cetainly the real thing as Carter Nelson notes, but does still have the correct Getrag gearbox not a t10, motor and diff wheels and some body work is non period, engine is apparently one of the Dicks old group C falcon engines that was put in the car after they ran out of 5.0 litres units.

Last edited by avors; 20 Jan 2009 at 22:25.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2375681)   #2446
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Avors, you will need to upload the photos to a site like photobucket, then copy the [img] tag address to link the photo here. It is always interesting to see "before" photos
Old 20 Jan 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2375696)   #2447
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
went to Bathurst as the "not-quite-legal" #18 spare car which was almost raced by Moffat and Delecourt...
do you know Henry why Moffat didn't start the race in this car?
Old 21 Jan 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2375716)   #2448
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
How about some other Holden's;

- The Roadways Commodore driven at Bathurst in 1980 by Garth Wigston and Charlie O'Brien at Bathurst in 1980. Presumebly this was the car Wigston shared with Steve Harrington in 1981, and could it have stayed with the Roadways team through to the end (through the STP days)?

- The Fred Geissler/Garry Rogers Greater Pacific Finance Commodore from Bathurst 1980

- The Clive Benson-Browne Commdore (this may have been answered in the first thread, can't remember though for sure ). Did Benson-Browne run the same car between 1981-1983?

- The Paul Gulson/Pete Geoghan Commdore that finished 3rd at Bathurst 1980.

- Garry Cooke/Warwick Brown Citizen Watches Commodore

- CIG Commodore (driven by Sue Ransom at Bathurst 1980)

As you can probably tell, been working my way through the 1980 Hardie-Ferodo in the last few days
Not sure if these have been covered since the post racer69 but here goes.

Word is....

The Gulson/Geoghegan Commodore went through several owners and is now in the care of Kevin Heffernan.

The Cooke/Brown "Citizen" Commodore was owned by Citizen. From Cooke it went to Charlie O'Brien for 1981, crashed at Bathurst and CO'B purchased the spare Roadways car for the weekend. Greg Toepfer then repaired the crashed car and ran it as "Citizen" again in 1982 with Ken Mathews. Mathews then purchased the car from Citizen and ran it through 1983 (Mathews/Toepfer - Bathurst 83 Ignis Fridges?) and into 1984 when mid-year Mathews crashed it at Amaroo. Mathews then purchased "Elvis" from Roadways and ran Bathurst 84 again with Toepfer. The original (Cooke/Brown) car may have surfaced recently in southern Qld.

The CIG - Bridges/Ransom Commodore was converted back to a road car and is apparently still a road car in Newcastle.

The 1980 Wingston/O'Brien Roadways Commodore could have been the one sold to CO'B (see above) for 1981. This car then went to Terry Finnigan.

I've got the Benson-Brown Commodore.

Haven't been able to find out about the Geissler/Rogers Commodore. Anyone know???

Last edited by Camaroz; 21 Jan 2009 at 00:31.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2375817)   #2449
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax
do you know Henry why Moffat didn't start the race in this car?
I imagine it could not be 'legalised' in time. There was quite a bit of interest, especially after Moffat drove the car for the Channel 7 telecast story (along with as many of the other contenders he could - including the Willmington Jag [imagine Tom asking who the truck wants to drive one of mine?]) and he raved about its balance. Certainly Delcourt had Graham Moore's best wishes to go, th Starion they were due to share appeared to have every ailment under the sun including gout, dandruff and leprosy.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2375935)   #2450
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR Mustang

You guys are dam good!

Cavvy, Henry, Ovars, MtPanorana, in a few entries you have surmised the whole cars history.....Dam good!

On eBay some years ago, one of the DJR Hollinger Getrags was for sale for about $1500, I thought it was too rich as a spare for my Mustang and dismissed it. Wish I hadn't as it cost 4-5 times that to build another one after mine disintegrated at Sandown.....live and learn.

When you say "not quite legal" what are you referring to?

Keep up the great work....

Nev.