Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jan 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2376007)   #2451
avors
Rookie

Australia
avors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonwood1
The Pinepac Falcon was a modified Group 1 production racer if I remember correctly.
It actually raced in the Benson & Hedges Endurance series in late 1984, with Bruce and Wayne Anderson sharing it at Manfield and Baypark and then Dick Johnson joined Bruce Anderson for the Pukekohe 6-hour race.
Not sure if my memory is correct, but it qualified about 5th and didn't last long before it broke an axle.

There were two other Falcons that raced in the first season of Group A racing in New Zealand.
Robbie Francevic shared a XE Falcon with John Morton in the 1984 Benson & Hedges series. They didn't have any success and abandoned the Falcon after the series. Robbie then drove the Volvo in the Nissan Sport series at Wellington & Pukekohe and John Morton shared Frank Sytner's BMW.

The third Falcon was an XD driven by Leo Leonard and (I think) Gary Sprague. I remember this car had a white colour scheme and Leonard used it in the New Zealand Touring Car Championship over the '84/85 summer.

The Motorsport Association of New Zealand (MANZ) allowed the Falcons to compete in the first year of Group A in NZ in order to bolster the field.
Heres a photo of the Morton Grp A Falcon, think its Puke 84
Old 21 Jan 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2376470)   #2452
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there any value in an "official Show Car"? Here
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Jan 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2376494)   #2453
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck
Given it has a white cage (and the DJR cars both had Green cages) one must question that this is in fact an actual DJR stang...

From Here
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Jan 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2376570)   #2454
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your great help with the Moffat sierra quest. I have another call out for help with that car. I need a pic of the rear of the car. Also the top of the rear spoiler. I am sure the spoiler has Continental Airlines on it in black, I am not sure if this is repeated on the rear bar of the car. The pic needs to be from bathurst 87. Thank you

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Jan 2009, 05:30 (Ref:2376571)   #2455
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you making a skin for the car for a game or something? If so, the car has already been done on rFactor. Go to www.rfactorcentral.com and look for the DR30 + one other mod in the touring car list. If you download that, unzip it and look in the gamedata/vehicles/sierra? folder there will be a bunch of .dds (direct draw surface) files in there, open them up and look until you find the anz sierra. It is pretty damn good.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2376575)   #2456
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
Thanks for all your great help with the Moffat sierra quest. I have another call out for help with that car. I need a pic of the rear of the car. Also the top of the rear spoiler. I am sure the spoiler has Continental Airlines on it in black, I am not sure if this is repeated on the rear bar of the car. The pic needs to be from bathurst 87. Thank you
Courtesy of the Brock VL edition of Australian Muscle Car:

As you'll notice, the Continental Airlines isn't the font normally used for their logo from that era. The red emblem appears to the left of Continental on the back of the car.

Guess I'll have to go and fix the one for TCL now that I've told everyone this!
Old 22 Jan 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2376577)   #2457
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Thanks again William.
i have just found my copy of the 87 video and there was a good shot of the rear of the car in Hardies hero's. It appears that the top of the rear wing has nothing on it. Your pic also shows me what was on the black section of the rear spoiler.

And no , not making a skin, no game playing here

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Jan 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2376635)   #2458
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably not the right spot for this post but it is the most widely read

First I hope to have the Group A ANZ Sierra at the 2009 Phillip Island Historics in March (subject to CAMS and a permit to compete or COD) and MTPANORAMA IS DOING THE GRAPHICS for it. It will be driven by Chris Dubois

I will also have the Group C BF Goodrich RX7 there.

More importantly Glenn Seton will be driving the Group A Schitzer BMW- the 1989 Wellington 500 winner in the hands of Pirro and Ravaglia, again subject to sorting out a few niggles with CAMS
Old 22 Jan 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2376653)   #2459
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I imagine it could not be 'legalised' in time. There was quite a bit of interest, especially after Moffat drove the car for the Channel 7 telecast story (along with as many of the other contenders he could - including the Willmington Jag [imagine Tom asking who the truck wants to drive one of mine?]) and he raved about its balance. Certainly Delcourt had Graham Moore's best wishes to go, th Starion they were due to share appeared to have every ailment under the sun including gout, dandruff and leprosy.
Falc's pretty much nailed it there. Moffat came back from his laps waxing lyrical about the little car's balance (the thing had been a bullet all week; Hell Corner was taken in third...), Delecourt was probably ready to set fire to the Starion and the plan was hatched. Doug Jacobi of Motorcraft ( both longtime supporters of DJ at that stage - they had permitted Dick to run the Blue Oval logos on the XE the year before...) was willing to underwrite the extra expenditure, DJR were on board.... and Larry Perkins vetoed the whole shebang.

LP, of course, was working with, and co-driving for Dick in 1985, and heput his foot down on the basis that the exhaust system on the #18 car was a "development" system, and not legal... and couldn't be changed in time...

More accurately, LP was all over anything that he felt might deflect the team's attention from bringing the #17 car home in first position on Sunday, even going to the point of drawing up a list of those who would be admitted into the workshop... which excluded (unitentionally perhaps, but anyhow) the principal sponsor... he had a point I guess: after years running the regimented and monolithic HDT juggernaut through the triumphant final Group C campaigns on The Hill, the laid-back Queenslanders tending to the green Henries would've had LP tearing out hair...

all was pretty much for nought on raceday, when a (previously repaired once) oil cooler split on the speed humps in the pitlane and she lost a heap of laps. Ironically, Moffat split a cooler in similar fashion the next year, at the wheel of another real contender...

The newer car was also a complete Zakspeed unit; I don't know if it was completely fresh at the time of purchase, but DJ didn't use it until the Oran enduro, which he had all sewn up until the thing broke a stub axle IIRC)

Last edited by Henry; 22 Jan 2009 at 09:21.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2376758)   #2460
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob
This is probably not the right spot for this post but it is the most widely read

First I hope to have the Group A ANZ Sierra at the 2009 Phillip Island Historics in March (subject to CAMS and a permit to compete or COD) and MTPANORAMA IS DOING THE GRAPHICS for it. It will be driven by Chris Dubois

I will also have the Group C BF Goodrich RX7 there.

More importantly Glenn Seton will be driving the Group A Schitzer BMW- the 1989 Wellington 500 winner in the hands of Pirro and Ravaglia, again subject to sorting out a few niggles with CAMS

Good idea Drbob to have Seton drive it and thanks for the updates re the other cars, now we'll have to rename the thread "Group A, where will they be?". The bad thing about it from my point of view is that I will no longer be the fastest Group A BMW racing. Still, now I've got a challenge ahead of me, to stay within a few seconds of Seton in the Schnitzer car.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2377099)   #2461
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BF Goodrich car used to be a Qld car so I'm sorry its gone, although the Hintons had been downsizing for awhile (they also have/had a Morris A9X and Johnson Sierra, much much drooling), but at least its gone to a good home.

It's such a shame the Group A/C scene up here has declined a bit up here. The nature of circuit politics.

The Heffernan Commodore last I saw was unrestored in the silver/yellow/red paint it finished its Sports Sedan career in, I missed it at HRCCQ's big Morgan Park meet last year sadly so don't know what's happened to it in historic trim.

The Terry Finnigan Group C Commodore was up here for a long while as Terry Skene's Commodore Sports Sedan. Skene today is best known locally as a failed Ipswich Council aspirant and proprietor of Kingston Park Raceway kart centre, but known nationally as one of the guys who rolled a Peter Hills Mondeo backwards down Mountain Straight. Lost track of that Commie since...
Old 22 Jan 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2377145)   #2462
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason the mustang is white inside now is because it was bought from WA. The last owner was Steve Renshaw.

After Renshaw bought it he rebuilt it as a sports sedan to try and make it fast enough for over here and then it got a fresh coat of paint when the EB falcon stly wing was put on to the boot lid.

The car spent all of its life over here after it finished with DJR.

This is if I was told correctly where the car was sold to bowdens
Old 23 Jan 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2377276)   #2463
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Nivola !!! Mystery solved now why it does not have a green interior. I recall that when Dick had them, they where both greens-tuf in and out. It is great that it hasn't been too badly butchered as a sports sedan as so many Group C and A cars had been.

I dont suppose anyone knows the whereabouts of Jim Richards' 1985 ATCC winning 635 ???
Old 23 Jan 2009, 03:47 (Ref:2377299)   #2464
Adrian B
Rookie

Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont suppose anyone knows the whereabouts of Jim Richards' 1985 ATCC winning 635 ???[/QUOTE]

It will be racing at Philip Island in March.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2377306)   #2465
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B
I dont suppose anyone knows the whereabouts of Jim Richards' 1985 ATCC winning 635 ???
It will be racing at Philip Island in March.[/QUOTE]

& a lovely peice of work it is too ...
Old 23 Jan 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2377311)   #2466
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Camaroz]Not sure if these have been covered since the post racer69 but here goes.
The Cooke/Brown "Citizen" Commodore was owned by Citizen. From Cooke it went to Charlie O'Brien for 1981, crashed at Bathurst and CO'B purchased the spare Roadways car for the weekend. Greg Toepfer then repaired the crashed car and ran it as "Citizen" again in 1982 with Ken Mathews. Mathews then purchased the car from Citizen and ran it through 1983 (Mathews/Toepfer - Bathurst 83 Ignis Fridges?) and into 1984 when mid-year Mathews crashed it at Amaroo. Mathews then purchased "Elvis" from Roadways and ran Bathurst 84 again with Toepfer. The original (Cooke/Brown) car may have surfaced recently in southern Qld.
The 1980 Wingston/O'Brien Roadways Commodore could have been the one sold to CO'B (see above) for 1981. This car then went to Terry Finnigan.

Falcadore quote:
"The Terry Finnigan Group C Commodore was up here for a long while as Terry Skene's Commodore Sports Sedan. Skene today is best known locally as a failed Ipswich Council aspirant and proprietor of Kingston Park Raceway kart centre, but known nationally as one of the guys who rolled a Peter Hills Mondeo backwards down Mountain Straight. Lost track of that Commie since..."

That's interesting Camaroz and Falcadore. I was trolling through some old Auto Action magazines(5 July 1995) a couple of weeks ago and came across this advertisement:

Falcadore I guess that is the car you are referring to.

So I called him last week to find out about its history.
What he could remember didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time.
He said it was a Les Small built car and was driven by either Charlie O'Brien or Geg Hansford and that Brock may have driven it once. He didn't mention Finnegan. It was sponsored by Tall Trees (as he recalls) I asked if Ignis was on the car and he said no.
He sold it to a guy in Victoria but doesn't remember who
So someone track it down

Last edited by drbob; 23 Jan 2009 at 05:07. Reason: spelling
Old 23 Jan 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2377459)   #2467
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
The red logo next to the Speed Pro logo on the side of the rear bumper looks like it says "Hello Comet" (i.e. the then TNT owned courier company).

It's written in white cursive laid diagonally on the red rectangular background.
You might be right with the Hello conmet logo. When I watched the 87 video they are interviewing Moffat and he has a Comet cap on.

Old 24 Jan 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2378005)   #2468
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
You might be right with the Hello conmet logo. When I watched the 87 video they are interviewing Moffat and he has a Comet cap on.
Here you go:

Old 24 Jan 2009, 01:02 (Ref:2378012)   #2469
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
For Sale...

FRSR Falcon

FRSR Falcon Engine

FRSR Trailer
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Jan 2009, 01:58 (Ref:2378026)   #2470
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Thanks Forda,
that was the last sign that I couldn't work out. I have them all now so time to get into it

Old 24 Jan 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2378041)   #2471
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
FRSR Falcon Engine

Yay now i can jump up and down saying thats way over priced.

BTW does anyone have any pics of the Rusty French XB/XC
the black one with gold pinstripes
Old 24 Jan 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2378042)   #2472
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this one

Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2378674)   #2473
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rusty's Coupe

Another pic
Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2378694)   #2474
Carter-Nelson
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne - Australia
Carter-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR Mustang

Dry sump cleveland!
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2379158)   #2475
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now this is a car with significant history that I am sure we are all dieing to know the where abouts of. Mark Picketts Ford Cortina from the 1981 ATCC Rd4 at Sandown.