Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Sep 2003, 13:50 (Ref:709151)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Barron in at Cheever

Eddie Cheever has, according to the Autosport website, signed Alex Barron to drive the car formerly pedalled by Buddy Rice. Cheever waffles about not losing a driver so much as gaining one, but if you only have one car then Rice is, effectively, put on the subs' bench.

So why? Granted, Rice hasn't been performing too well, and barron has proved himself at Penske and Mo Nunn (making this his third team of the year!), but the Gen III Chevy engine was a dog and the improvements should now come. Where, also, does this fit in with Cheever's hints that he might return to the cockpit himself?

Thoughts please.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 13:53 (Ref:709154)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a terrible blow for Rice, and an extremely unfair one. Don't contracts mean anything anymore. Barron was available pre-season, surely, if Cheever values him above Rice, he should've been in the car originally. Hiring a big-name driver just so as to get sponsorship for enxt seaosn seems pretty bad. I've lost a lot of respect for Eddie now.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:26 (Ref:709194)   #3
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a tough break for Rice he deserves an extended stint with the Gen IV. Barron's a good choice tho he seems to shine wherever he plies his trade and gets the car dialled in without too many problems.
Pity Edddie's not going to have a pedal himself call me an old romantic but I like to see the old boys proving they still have wot it takes.
No sporting contracts dont count for anything, oyu've only got to look at the abject disloyalty shown by footie stars in the Premiership to see that, Campbell going from Spurs to Arse***e etc.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:32 (Ref:709200)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots, what you say is correct, but tjhe importance of finding sponsors must not be underevaluated, particularly in this time of economic difficulties.

By the way Other chevy drivers, more or less , improved significantly their performance (not only Sam, I mean, but also Buhl and Fischer did, though on a lesser scale).
Buddy on the contrary didn't.
He may have needed more time, but there you are.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 14:54 (Ref:709232)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, the bitter Tottenham fan who can't accept that Arsenal have been the better team for over a decade, and are the better career move - possibly the only thing worse than the bitter Ferrari fans moaning about a tyre technicality.

That situation is compeltely different. Rice is under contract and Cheever should have honoured that, rather than dumping his man.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 15:44 (Ref:709280)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Eddie's declaration , on Autosport, Buddy has not been fired, thus we have to take for granted that he's still earning his salary; if this is a contract breaching byhis boss, weel we should know what is written on it, before judging. Iif such a situation was contemplated, Eddie cannot be criticized, he's the boss and he's the right to take such decisions, though hard and painful.

Your negative opinion would be justified in the opposite case.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 19:14 (Ref:709433)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, thats a bit of a shock...still, it's great to see Alex still has a ride. Shame for Buddy though...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 19:52 (Ref:709473)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes sense. For whatever reason Rice wasn't getting it done. Michigan last year looks like a fluke.

Barron has won a race, Rice has not. Chevrolet is demanding that its teams have drivers who can win.

I'm sorry for Buddy, he isn't that bad. But as with the move to place Hearn in the Meira/J. Lazier car at Menard, I think it is motivated by a desire to get closer to Hornish's performance in teh new Chevrolet. That is the measuring stick now. Front of the grid or out for Chevy drivers.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 20:54 (Ref:709557)   #9
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wanted to see Alex Barron get a ride, but not this way! Buddy Rice isn't a bad driver, and yeah Alex won 2 races, but I don't think he's considered a "big name driver." I really don't get it! Plus... I want Alex at Panther!
Old 6 Sep 2003, 00:04 (Ref:709691)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great news for Barron but bad luck for Rice , maybe Eddie should have gone to a second car for Barron and kept Rice as well.

The kid is good but needs time and experience to develop, I hope he can sort something out for next year.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:42 (Ref:709920)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Hearn Menard deal, is this another 1 race deal, or does he have the car until Meira returns. Judging by the way Menard works, theres really no way to tell is there
Old 6 Sep 2003, 16:19 (Ref:710185)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Odd that Cheever was running three cars last year for himself, Scheckter and Rice, and now is down to one. Has Dieter Mateschitz become stingy?

As for Barron at Panther, I don't think this move compromises that. In fact, insofar as it keeps Barron racing (Giaffone's back, remember, and Alex was looking at being a spectator), it may strengthen his claim to the No. 1 seat at Panther for 2004.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 23:43 (Ref:711297)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Barron did well, I thought, to finish seventh at Chicago. Think Rice will be back in the car this season?
Old 8 Sep 2003, 07:14 (Ref:711434)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparantly Barron is only in for two races, so after Fontana Rice should get the car back for Texas. I felt really sorry for Buddy, during the race we got a short of him sitting in the pit lane, looking quite bored. Nice to have him back for Texas though
Old 8 Sep 2003, 08:11 (Ref:711501)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
BSchneiderfan,
last year Eddie enjoyed big sponsorship from RedBull; after a underachieving season, it's expectable that thay have reduced their budget to the squad.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 00:09 (Ref:712518)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hardly surprising, I suppose. I wonder for how much longer Cheever will hold on to the Red Bull money. If I were Dieter Mateschitz, I'd be looking at Mo Nunn, Panther or Kelley as better-performing teams. But perhaps the IRL isn't where he wants to be in the long run.

Last edited by BSchneiderFan; 9 Sep 2003 at 00:10.