Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 5 Nov 2002, 13:39 (Ref:422159)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cars that Senna drove

Here is a painting I did for a gallery in Suzuka. It is 45 x 35 ins and shows the main cars from Ayrton's career starting with the FF Van Diemen in 1981 to the '94 Williams. The portrait is of AS in 1991.
The Senna Foundation and family approved the painting which was printed as a Limited Edition specifically for the Japanese market.
It can also be seen on my website www.andrewkitson.com
Hope you like this one and any comments would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
drive.jpg  
Old 5 Nov 2002, 18:07 (Ref:422336)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I think you missed the F1 cars he tested before entering F1, Williams, Brabham, McLaren and Toleman, all from 1983! LOL, just joking.

It's a great painting, just like all of your paintings!
Old 5 Nov 2002, 18:15 (Ref:422342)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Jordi! The Donington Williams is there - the first F1 car he drove, I just didn't think there was much point showing all of the F1 cars he tested. Infact, I have not shown his very first FF car either. It was a white Van Diemen RF80 used for one race only in March '81. Nor did I show the celebrity Shellsport Talbot Sunbeam that he won with at Oulton in '82. I had to be selective due to space.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 20:44 (Ref:422468)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Andrew, I fear the mouth is watering again.

Are there any prints available of that painting?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 21:10 (Ref:422483)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Aysedasi, thanks. Check out my website.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 21:50 (Ref:422508)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Andrew. I fear the Senna print is out of my wallet's reach at the moment. I like your similar Hill montage. I've got quite a few photos lying around of a number of those cars.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:48 (Ref:423308)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also saw the Hill one, awesome job too.

Andrew, have you thought on doing a painting of all of Mario Andretti's cars? That would use much more room than the Guernica!
Old 6 Nov 2002, 23:02 (Ref:423361)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mario? Now that would be very interesting but choosing which cars to include / leave out would be a nightmare!
Probably the greatest all-rounder race driver of all time.
USAC, NASCAR, F1, CART, F5000, CanAm, Gp.5 Sports prototypes, Le Mans..etc..etc
Old 8 Nov 2002, 18:14 (Ref:424758)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
and probably the most complete racer ever... (and one that lived to tell after 5 decades of racing)
Old 8 Nov 2002, 23:21 (Ref:424887)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure you could find a canvas big enough to paint all of Mario's cars on Andrew !

superb Painting as usual .

I noticed they had a print of your Brian Jones painting hanging up in the Kentagon the other week when i was in there , stood there looking at it for so long , i forgot what i was going to order to eat !
Old 9 Nov 2002, 09:10 (Ref:425015)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good job it is not hanging at the other end of the food counter by the bar...you might have forgotten what you were going to drink!
Old 15 Nov 2002, 08:59 (Ref:429016)   #12
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I noticed the Joest 956 Porsche in this print. Does anyone have more information on this, I didn't realise that Senna had ever driven in sportscars. Was it just a one-off, and did he have any success?
Old 15 Nov 2002, 09:09 (Ref:429017)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
AllonFS, Ayrton drove this car in the World Sportscar Championship round 4 at the Nürburgring 0n 15 July 1984. It was the only occasion that he competitively drove a sportscar. He partnered Stefan Johansson and Henri Pescarolo in this Joest Porsche 956.
According to folklore, Johansson and Pescarolo were quicker in qualifying, being well accustomed to the car. Senna went out in the wet, did one lap and came back in asking what all the dashboard dials meant!
He impressed Reinhold Joest with his car control but in the wet race the car had problems including water in the electrics, eventually finishing 12th. The drive came about because Senna mentioned to a friend that he would like to try a Group C car, this friend knew Joest and arranged it.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 10:48 (Ref:429056)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a thread about Senna in the 965 on the Atlas F1 Nostalgia forum right now actually.

Nice painting Andrew, I saw your name in Murray Walkers book today, just finished reading it, great to be recognised by the great man i'll bet
Old 22 Nov 2002, 00:38 (Ref:434378)   #15
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then there were those rally cars, that he drove for that article in triple C magazine, all those years ago. In fact, I remember reading an article on the tuned Mk2 Golf that the mag ran for a while. When they were moving it on to pastures new, the journos were invited to write about their memorable moments with the car. One recalled how Senna had followed them to South Wales, for the rally car story. Senna was in a big Merc. This guy described how he wpould chuck the Golf into a corner, only to look in his mirror to see this huge Merc. limo also exiting the corner, completely sideways, with a grinning Senna at the wheel thinking "you guys ain't even getting close."
Old 22 Nov 2002, 07:36 (Ref:434454)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There is another story when Senna was racing at Donington in FF2000 in 1982. His flat mate and great friend Mauricio Gugelmin was racing at Snetterton the same day in FF1600. Once Senna had won his race, he said to Dennis Rushen and his mechanic Spider, 'come on guys , lets go and watch Mo winning at Snetterton'.
'Are you crazy?' they said. It was 90mins before the race at Snett was due to start. The journey was usually 2 and half hours. Off they set with Senna driving the VW Golf. They made it of course with time to spare but it was said by Ayrton's passengers that they then knew exactly how skilled he was, that he had absolute total confidence in his abilities, knowing that nothing was going to come the other way when overtaking on a blind bend or when taking roundabouts 'flat'.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 10:08 (Ref:435181)   #17
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive heard that story.....trully frightning !...but Senna knew what he could do.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 12:33 (Ref:435242)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Would have been nice to see both Senna and Gilles in street cars!
Old 23 Nov 2002, 13:32 (Ref:435272)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sorry that i'll have to say this...
But the guy looks more like Bandini than Senna...

very nice painting though.
Attached Thumbnails
bandini+lorenzo_0_rn_.jpg  
Old 23 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:435387)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i dont think so , but everyone to their own i suppose .