Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 20 Nov 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3334399)   #1
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Introductory Book

My 13 year old son is absolutely dead set on a career within motorsports engineering. With Christmas coming up I'm looking to get him a basic introduction book to motor vehicle technology if not specifically race car engineering. Any suggestions?
Old 20 Nov 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3334530)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Hilliers Fundamentals series are pretty good but may be too heavy for a start.
I have a young member of my family that is mad on Motorsport and is looking to get into Brookes university next year, I wonder what made him decide to do that !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3334535)   #3
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I was going to suggest "How to Build and Modify Sportscar and Kitcar Suspension and Brakes for Road and Track" from the Speed Pro series..... but I've just looked on Amazon and it seems a new copy is worth well over £100 and second hand ones are from about £30 (If you find one in your local book shop it's worth snapping it up as the cover price is only £14.99) Alternatively, "How to make your car handle" by Fred Phun, HPBooks, is a good comprehensive book, (although American so the terms used are a little different to ours) and seems to be available at a more sensible price.

Anyway, both books are packed with diagrams and mostly in plain English so I think would be suitable.

If you get stuck PM me (I have copies of both that I don't need any more).
Old 22 Nov 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3335039)   #4
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phun

Alan Staniforth books
Competition Car Suspension
Race & Rally Car Source Book: The Guide to Building or Modifying a Competition Car

Probably the last one because it is broad