Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Aug 2003, 21:11 (Ref:685537)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Burns ever actually beaten Gronholm in a rally if they both finished?

i.e. with neither having problems? I think Burns has always been second string to Gronholm.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:41 (Ref:685764)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, was it Catalunya 2002 where Burns was second and Gronholm third in a straight fight? and Germany the same, I believe. Still, 2 out of 20-something aint great....I feel for Richard because he's such a good driver....
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:31 (Ref:686980)   #3
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you mean in his Peugeot days .. he beat him more when he was in the Subaru

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:22 (Ref:687007)   #4
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Richard is being VERY clever, bringing home every point possible, without compromising a point finish. If you win the championship, it does not matter if you did not win the rally!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 22:45 (Ref:687668)   #5
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That depends on what you care about. Would Richard REALLY be that pleased if he won the title through consistant finishing and only beating Gronholm on reliability? I hope not.

Just as an extra thought, I agree that Burns is a great driver but do people think that he would have had the upper hand if Gronholm had joined him at Subaru?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 00:06 (Ref:687717)   #6
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is, if Burns wins the championship, (and I don't think he will), are we going to be happy?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 00:35 (Ref:687722)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
Thing is, if Burns wins the championship, (and I don't think he will), are we going to be happy?
if he does, then I'll be happy!!!
Old 14 Aug 2003, 08:54 (Ref:687890)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rallying is about all kinds of things. Everyone knows that richard is not 100 per cent hapy in the Peugeot. I think it is better now for him, but he has never ever shown the stunning speed he had at Subaru for Peugeot.
What he has shown is a good level of consistent speed, great tactics and expecially this year, the ability to bring the thing home even with a problem.
You have to have all these attributes aswell as speed to win in WRC, just ask Colin McRae who looks like a shadow of himself in that Xsara don't you think?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 09:05 (Ref:687902)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Burns is a great driver, but Gronholm will prove to be one of the, if not the best ever.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:11 (Ref:688400)   #10
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are we talking about when they've both been in the Peugeot? There haven't been many. But Burns beat him often enough in a Subaru. And I think had Gronholm joined Subaru, Burns would've come out on top - he's better suited to the bigger car.

They're both greats. It's just that Burns can be a little ...um... clinical.

Will we be happy if Burns wins the title? I will, but I'll be happier if Solberg wins it
Old 15 Aug 2003, 11:25 (Ref:688941)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you say he is better suited to a bigger car than Gronholm?!!! This excuse is bull****. Gronholm has kicked his butt.

Marcus flew in the Lancer the few times he was in it.

Burns has gone down in my estimation. No way is he good and if he wins the title people will whisper behind his back. Even more than before.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 16:07 (Ref:689175)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess we'll never know...

Gronholm's sheer speed is unmatched, but it's a bit harsh to say Burns is no good. We all have our favourites - mine used to be McRae but I just wish he'd retire now before he kills himself...
Old 16 Aug 2003, 12:42 (Ref:689735)   #13
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I agree with you on that.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:59 (Ref:691073)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
I won't be if he does. I want a champion who has been the best driver all year. And I don't think Richard has been.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:17 (Ref:691082)   #15
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
wonder if Burns would win the Championship before the last event(witout winning) .. would he try to win the British rally .. i mean ... really try???? .. 125% pushing ???

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:43 (Ref:691685)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ATF
I want a champion who has been the best driver all year. And I don't think Richard has been.
Absolutely agree
Old 19 Aug 2003, 07:59 (Ref:691930)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
But he has been the most consistent, and it's consistency that is rewarded by this season's points system. If Burns wins the title he'll be a worthy winner for me. But I'm biased.

There's a thought Dani - if he's already won the championship will he go all out to win the NetQ? Absolutely!! And he'd win by over a minute.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:56 (Ref:692352)   #18
krt917
Veteran

I like Burns, but I've never been a fan of consistency winning over victories, so I dislike the new system and don't really wish to see him win it (unless he rattles off a few wins fromn now on!). Especially as Gronholm has proved pretty conclusively he is faster, at least in the Peugeot.