Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Aug 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1989860)   #1
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, a "different team." Does this mean no team orders for the third car? Will it try to pass for position?

Off-Topic content moved from the ALMS 2007 Post Le Mans Discussion. Is there team orders at Corvette Racing? Discuss.

Jhansen

Last edited by jhansen; 17 Aug 2007 at 00:36.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1989864)   #2
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They ran 3 cars under the Corvette Racing banner when Earnhardt Jr./Boris Said did their brief attempt at Sears Point.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 23:52 (Ref:1989882)   #3
porsche45
Racer

United States
Like 2, 3 years ago. I'm talking this year, where they have run with "orders."
Old 16 Aug 2007, 08:47 (Ref:1990047)   #4
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
What orders?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1990078)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Not to take each other out orders !!!
Old 16 Aug 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1990268)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Not to take each other out orders !!!
Yes they run under that order. Just like every other team, in every other series, everywhere!

L.P.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1990279)   #7
porsche45
Racer

United States
So that's why they don't pass on track, under full race conditions? Unless like last weekend, when one was told to let the other pass, to get back on the same lap? They've even talked about it during race broadcasts. That seems to be more than "don't take each other out."
Old 16 Aug 2007, 21:56 (Ref:1990501)   #8
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Letting a car back on the lead lap doesn't exactly do anything except allow the two cars to fight it out for the win.
Old 16 Aug 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1990558)   #9
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Letting a car back on the lead lap doesn't exactly do anything except allow the two cars to fight it out for the win.
Hmm, but they didn't, did they?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1990564)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche45
Hmm, but they didn't, did they?
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. How would it benefit Corvette Racing to either have, or not have team orders this year? Except for two races, they've had no competition. Can you maybe expand your point a bit?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 23:58 (Ref:1990573)   #11
porsche45
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. How would it benefit Corvette Racing to either have, or not have team orders this year? Except for two races, they've had no competition. Can you maybe expand your point a bit?
If you read back a bit, it was noted the third Vette is entered by "Pratt & Miller," so the question was posed, would there be open racing between the three cars? So your question stands as well. If there are team orders, and by accounts, there are, what are the benefits? They're not really racing each other (the 3 & 4), that anyone has noticed.
No expansion of my point needed, really, because I'm just asking questions, not making a point. But if you want more, if they were using the first half of the season as practice for Le Mans, as Fehan stated, what's the second half for? Marketing?
Once again, just asking the questions, looking for answers.

Last edited by porsche45; 17 Aug 2007 at 00:02.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1990580)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you read back a bit, it was noted the third Vette is entered by "Pratt & Miller," so the question was posed, would there be open racing between the three cars? So your question stands as well. If there are team orders, and by accounts, there are, what are the benefits? They're not really racing each other (the 3 & 4), that anyone has noticed. No expansion of my point needed, really, because I'm just asking questions, not making a point. But if you want more, if they were using the first half of the season as practice for Le Mans, as Fehan stated, what's the second half for? Marketing? Once again, just asking the questions, looking for answers.
I think you're the one posing the question...

Quote:
So, a "different team." Does this mean no team orders for the third car? Will it try to pass for position?
Quote:
I'm talking this year, where they have run with "orders."
Quote:
So that's why they don't pass on track, under full race conditions? Unless like last weekend, when one was told to let the other pass, to get back on the same lap? They've even talked about it during race broadcasts. That seems to be more than "don't take each other out."
Asking questions is great. But assuming that Corvette Racing has been running with team orders post Le Mans is quite another thing. I don't have evidence of that, do you? The #4 car has generally been the better of the two, but I wouldn't call that team orders. Asking why Corvette Racing is running in the ALMS this year against no competition is a completely different thread.

For the record, I don't think there are any team orders at Corvette Racing.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:38 (Ref:1990586)   #13
porsche45
Racer

United States
Dorsey mentioned it during a couple of broadcasts, he said they were to run in order. Like I said, just asking questions. I never said I didn't pose one. I've asked many.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1990588)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Hadn't heard that. I stand corrected if that's true. Can anyone else confirm that?
Old 17 Aug 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1990591)   #15
porsche45
Racer

United States
And there is no doubt the 4 has seemingly been better. But there doesn't seem to be any passing except during pit stops. A couple of races that have been broadcast (and we know about the quality of those) if a pass occurs, it's not shown, and you think they would.
And, I'm not assuming they're running under team orders, just observing, and listening. Perhaps someone like Horndawg (the comsumate Vette fan) might have some deep wisdom to add, and can answer grasshoppers questions. To not take out your team mate shouldn't be team orders (unless you're in a Ferrari ), just common sense.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 01:14 (Ref:1990599)   #16
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I seem to recall them explicitely saying there are no orders, that the two cars are allowed to race each other so long as they don't take each other out.

The only instance I know of team orders was at Road America, where the team told the one Corvette to let the other one by so that both cars would be on the same lap. This gives no points advantage or anything to the team.

All this allows is for the two cars to theoretically be able to compete with one another head to head if they get a lucky caution, which obviously makes for a better race. The Maserati at that point was already 3 or 4 laps down and out of contention.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 03:15 (Ref:1990640)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
And there is no doubt the 4 has seemingly been better. But there doesn't seem to be any passing except during pit stops.
Just because the 3 can't pass the 4 doesn't mean there is evidence of team orders. Maybe the 4 is just quicker, which generaly seems to be the case.
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1990930)   #18
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is an interesting thread. I believe that both Corvettes race with basically one order "do not take the other car out!" With that said, it is difficult for one to pass the other on the road. This is because they are so evenly prepared and the drivers are all so evenly matched that trying to pass on the road would be hard to do without some type of contact and so...they stay in formation, try to apply some pressure and hope an opportunity presents itself.

DK
Old 17 Aug 2007, 16:16 (Ref:1991029)   #19
porsche45
Racer

United States
OK. Thanks dxk1. That's the repsonse I was looking for. I wasn't questioning the integrity of the Corvette boys. Just questions about comments said by commentators(knowing they don't always know everything, and will mis-speak), etc. Believe me, I have a lot of respect for P&M, Fehan, and everyone else there, from some similar personal experience.