Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1509114)   #1
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good circuit edits

It is usually fairly easy to edit bad circuits because what is wrong with them is usually fairly obvious, but it can be much harder to edit good tracks, but ocasionally it needs doing! In this thread please post your edits of circuits generally considered to be good tracks-just for my own intrest!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1509115)   #2
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Here's my first one....Lime Rock Park

Lime Rock is a great circuit but it is a bit short for international standard races. Ages ago a extention was planned but it never happened.....which is just as well because I didn't like the look of it that much! This is my go that I would hope to use to attract the big international series. I think it stays within the 'character' of the existing track. What do you think?

Old 25 Jan 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1509155)   #3
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah definately, that one looks great. I think that would work quite nice.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1509683)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
AF, that looks almost exactly like the 1957 "Mountain Circuit" propsal. You just straightened it out a bit and made the corner before you return to the current course a good bit quicker.

I honestly didn't mind having those few little kinks out there, and it wouldn't necessarily be bad to have one relatively slow corner. Now if we could just deal with the townspeople, environmentalists, and surrounding swamp...
Old 26 Jan 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1509711)   #5
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
I have just looked at the Mountain circuit proposal again & I can see that while I wasn't looking at that circuit when I designed mine they are very similar. However I still don't like that hairpin before the circuit rejoins the current course.
Enough of that though! Here is my edit of Brands. It is similar to many previous edits but Graham Hill is sooner after Druids than on the current track. I did this to give more paddock space; essential if the circuit is to continue to thrive. I have also smoothed out the new Dingle Dell complex to give a corner more like the original circuit (the '70s one, pre chicane & looser than the current 90degree corner). I have also re-designed the pit lane, with the pit rejoining the current track after Paddock Hill

Old 27 Jan 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1510170)   #6
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My edit of Portland International Raceway.

Place a chicane at the beginning of the curved back straight. Also lengthened the track.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1510352)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not so much an edit as two possible additions at Knockhill.

For those of you that know Knockhill, I envisage the extentions continuing up into what is currently the Motorcross Circuit and would not impact on their current on-site parking arrangements.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 22 Oct 2007 at 14:51.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1510450)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Mandretti, I REALLY do not like what you did with Portland.

Why did you do that anyway, I don't see how it helps anything.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1510517)   #9
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
I'm with Purist on this one. Sorry Mandretti but I don't like that edit at all, mainly because that chicane would remove any chance of an overtaking manouver at the corner at the end of the straight.

Old 28 Jan 2006, 01:08 (Ref:1510547)   #10
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How's this for Portland? Got rid of the chicane, but kept the extension. I put in the extension just to lengthen the track, that's all.
Attached Thumbnails
Portland.gif  
Old 28 Jan 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1510555)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've designed this for Portland. I would retain all the existing track as A) a layout in itself and B) Other alternatives.

I tried to add length, but - too be simplistic.

Just a note that the two corners 3/4 are designed like Rivazza at Imola.

Any Thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 02:07 (Ref:1510563)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
I've designed this for Portland. I would retain all the existing track as A) a layout in itself and B) Other alternatives.

Any Thoughts?
are u related to Tilke by any chance ?
Old 28 Jan 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1510639)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Any Thoughts?
that reminds me of the nurburgring sudschlifes short layout.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1510640)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
I have just looked at the Mountain circuit proposal again & I can see that while I wasn't looking at that circuit when I designed mine they are very similar. However I still don't like that hairpin before the circuit rejoins the current course.
Enough of that though! Here is my edit of Brands. It is similar to many previous edits but Graham Hill is sooner after Druids than on the current track. I did this to give more paddock space; essential if the circuit is to continue to thrive. I have also smoothed out the new Dingle Dell complex to give a corner more like the original circuit (the '70s one, pre chicane & looser than the current 90degree corner). I have also re-designed the pit lane, with the pit rejoining the current track after Paddock Hill

The granstand after graham hill is right on top of the rallycross track!
great edit anyway.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1510643)   #15
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Not so much an edit as two possible additions at Knockhill.

For those of you that know Knockhill, I envisage the extentions continuing up into what is currently the Motorcross Circuit and would not impact on their current on-site parking arrangements.
I havenet been that far round knockhill before, I think it ruins the flow of the circuit, but it certainly would make the circuit longer, I have tried to edit knockhill before...just didnt work...
Old 28 Jan 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1510701)   #16
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Similar to what i thought, i though "oh, he's tilke-fied it"
Old 28 Jan 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1510713)   #17
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
hmmm I take your point. It was late.

I'll do another edit.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1510715)   #18
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
And here it is.

The intention was always to add a little bit of length, and if possible - an overtaking opportunity. Just breaks the track up slightly with the hairpin, but the following left kink would be magic. Bumps etc.

I've also re-included Festival - I thought that the main straight would be too long without something stopping it.

Last edited by shambles; 28 Jan 2006 at 12:51. Reason: Added Comment About Festival
Old 28 Jan 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1510864)   #19
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
I like that more. It keeps all the good corners wile providing more length & an overtaking oppertunity. Like it!

Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1510966)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
I havenet been that far round knockhill before, I think it ruins the flow of the circuit, but it certainly would make the circuit longer, I have tried to edit knockhill before...just didnt work...
It is difficult to add to an already flowing circuit without breaking the flow, however I was trying to consider the terrain with the additions, keeping off camber entries and maintaining good spectator viewing.
Old 28 Jan 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1510986)   #21
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill is a very tricky one to edit, as it's quite simple and edit needs to stay fairly simple, as to not ruin the flow, but also adding length to a circuit such as knockhill is hard as there isnt much room to play with.
To add to that, most fo the corners are great for drivers and spectators, the first few corners for example, extremly undulating and always full of action.
My 100th post! Booyah!
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1583191)   #22
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Oulton Park

Scenario

The owners of Oulton Park, Motorsport Vision - have contacted me recently and asked me to present a proposal to them in which the current track is lengthened, and upgraded to become an FIA Grade 1/A circuit, capable of hosting top level motor-racing.

It must retain the character of the circuit, and remember also - the space between Old Hall and Shell is out of bounds, due to the prescence of a lake.

As my favourite racetrack in the entire world, this is a task I relish with fear and trepidation.

Proposal

My proposal, I feel takes into account the character of the circuit, and doesn't detract from the 'feel' that makes Oulton so wonderful. Here is a map, of my proposal;

As you can see, I started by removing the Foulston's chicane that was situated between Shell and Hilltop. I did this, so as to re-capture the speed that the backstraight once possessed.

The next change is major. At Hizzy's the current chicane was changed so that it lead onto a new piece of track, which I have to admit copying from A_F in his interpretation of my Marina challenge. I just loved the piece of circuit, and envisioned it working well here, I hope A_F doesn't mind. I've then re-profiled Knickerbrook into a hairpin similar to Shell, to complete the changes.

I feel the new piece of circuit, would a) provide length and b) an interesting complex of corners.

Controversy?

My main sticking point with it, is the change from old track to new track, I don't really like the way Hizzy's joins the new section. I couldn't find any fixes, can you?

The reason this post is in this thread, is that - Oulton is a marvellous circuit, my favourite - and for me any change would be controversial. Do you think i've succeeding in making a valuable contribution to the track, or have I made a critical error in taking on this challenge?
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1583201)   #23
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Quote:
The next change is major. At Hizzy's the current chicane was changed so that it lead onto a new piece of track, which I have to admit copying from A_F in his interpretation of my Marina challenge. I just loved the piece of circuit, and envisioned it working well here, I hope A_F doesn't mind.
Well maybe I do mind. Maybe I have a major problem with your plagarism!

I do like that edit actually. It is one of the few that is actually quite sensitive to the already popular layout of Oulton. However, on the exit of the new big loop you are pushing space to the limit for how close you get to the top straight. I'll have a look at it later to see if I can solve you problems.

Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1583207)   #24
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Quote:
Well maybe I do mind. Maybe I have a major problem with your plagarism!
Quote:

I do like that edit actually. It is one of the few that is actually quite sensitive to the already popular layout of Oulton. However, on the exit of the new big loop you are pushing space to the limit for how close you get to the top straight. I'll have a look at it later to see if I can solve you problems.

hahaha! I knew you wouldn't mind

Thanks mate, i'm glad you like it. I was really hard pushed for space your right, but after looking at some images of that area, I think it would be marginal; but in the end totally safe. I have drawn up some proposed variants for the area as well, which would come into effect two years (2011) after the implementation of this, the GP circuit.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1583222)   #25
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Oulton Variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin-1
I have drawn up some proposed variants for the area as well

Above: This is the classic circuit, which would be a hark back to the original 2.3 mile layout. It is slightly different however, in that - due the entrance speeds, caused by the eradication of the Foulston's chicane; a five corner complex is in place instead of any mickey mouse chicanes or flat bursts through Knickerbrook.

Above: This is what would be known as the Inner circuit, an extended length take on the original short/national circuit. It cuts right at Cascades onto the new inner loop, before resuming on a normal course.

Above: This is the Central circuit, which basically uses the new loop to create a short 1 mile circuit.

Above: This is the island circuit, designed around the section of track beyond Cascades. It would cut back onto the exit of Cascades, after Hizzy's.