Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Aug 2005, 05:16 (Ref:1381698)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Will Davison to test for team Australia

allthough i have no confirmed reports on this matter.

during the v8 Supercar event at oran park today a commentator (ex bike star Darryl Beattie) commented that young Will Davison will test for team Australia in the coming week or 2.

not sure what that means in the way of driver changes but you never know with marshalls unimpressive performances to date perhaps the team are contemplating a driver line up change sometime this year.

or maybe they are evaluating Will for a possible drive for 06.

he's a good young driver with loads of potential.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1381731)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which would be a good thing. Marshall looked even worse today, the most inconsistant out there. Every lap, his braking points, turn in point, apex clipping points are sometimes radically different every lap. He is all over the damn place. I suggest what he needs is a driving coach to work with him, because he has no technique at all.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1381786)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marshall can drive...in FF and in Porsche cup and may a decent fistful in F3 in the few events he could afford to do....but he is out of his depth in Champ cars and needs a season or two in Atlantics or something similar to learn abit more about open wheel racing cars...
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1381794)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
during the v8 Supercar event at oran park today a commentator (ex bike star Darryl Beattie) commented that young Will Davison will test for team Australia in the coming week or 2.
*snip*
he's a good young driver with loads of potential.
<-------

And as for Davo, I rate him highly, not as much as his bro however.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1381796)   #5
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope Will gets a drive, he is miles better than Marshall. It would be good to see him back in single-seaters because that is where he belongs.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1381799)   #6
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will has been working feverishly with deals. And he will test the car, giving himself every chance to either A) replace Marshall in 2006 or B) become Australias other A1GP driver.

At the moment the second deal has been on the cards, but you never know.....
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1381805)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt Mr Marshall will be replaced, as he has a firm deal that would impact the income of the team should it be broken....

... but... the team owns only 2 Lolas... and a shedload of Reynards....

What is stopping a 3rd car at Surfers paradise for Mr Davison? Besides budgetary considerations of course... but if they have a chassis just sitting there... it seems a shame not to use it
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1381831)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I doubt Mr Marshall will be replaced, as he has a firm deal that would impact the income of the team should it be broken....

... but... the team owns only 2 Lolas... and a shedload of Reynards....

What is stopping a 3rd car at Surfers paradise for Mr Davison? Besides budgetary considerations of course... but if they have a chassis just sitting there... it seems a shame not to use it
A one of race should not proove the ends all in terms of budget for Will, if he can land himself a major sponsor, or even get backing from WPS themselves he will surely land himself a large drive in a decent category.

For myself, i would not want Will to be stuck racing V8's for the rest of his life, as he in my opinion is a great open wheel racer, and given a chance will proove himself to a high quality.

Also the best thing about him, is when you chat to him, there is no large head, there is just pure modesty.

And in terms of pure race pace, ive seen him against the likes Luke Youlden and Jamie Whincup in normal road cars, and lets just say he has a gap on those two. Enough to make your eyebrows rise.

I hope he gets a seat he deserves, whilst he is racing at Bathurst and Sandown 500, id like to see him fully backed and racing open wheelers overseas.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1381844)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...until he is shortlisted, and possibly gets the best V8Supercar seat in the country at SBR....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1381850)   #10
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
...until he is shortlisted, and possibly gets the best V8Supercar seat in the country at SBR....
As far as my knowledge stretches, he has already been overlooked at SBR and wont be considered for the drive.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1381891)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although Marshall came into difficult circusmtances, he has compeltely failed to shine, and either of the 2 Wills would be a better addition to the team and the championship. I'd love to see this test go well.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1382339)   #12
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Davison will drive #25 Walker Racing at Surfers Paradise, if he will race. It depends on his test.

Good choice in my opinion, although I'd rather like to see James Courtney, but I don't know if he has free weekend when Surfers is running.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1382914)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Which would be a good thing. Marshall looked even worse today, the most inconsistant out there. Every lap, his braking points, turn in point, apex clipping points are sometimes radically different every lap. He is all over the damn place. I suggest what he needs is a driving coach to work with him, because he has no technique at all.
In fairness Marshall doesn't really have any help on setup. I'm sure his car is a bear to drive. If he's having that kind of difficulty I imagine that he's just not able to get the car to do what he'd like and it feels so finicy that he's not consistant.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1383268)   #14
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
I hope he replaces Marshall next year. Marshall should have went to the Atlantics before going to Champcars.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1383503)   #15
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are so many talented Australian guys looking for a drive that it seems like a real shame someone who isn't ready, and may not be capable at all, is holding the seat up. If Davison shines immediately they really should make the change immediately, even if Marcus is 16th in the Championship from doing nothing.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1383696)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I missed the Kentucky IRL race, but AJ Foyt IV had an engineer to work with for the first time. He finished 9th and on the lead lap. Everyone had long written him off, but his grandfather's team policies (eg. running no engineer) ment that he was wasting his time. In one race he's basically gone from the joke of the field to beating guys like Carpentier, Enge and Kite.

I know Marshall doesn't have the credentials that one would normally associate with a CC driver, but I don't think he's been given a real chance to succeed.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1383757)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AJ Foyt had won a championship before he got into IndyCar

Marcus Marshall was a backmarker in British F3 (aside from one race, where he won by being on the right tyres in the wet).

If you're not competitve in F3, it generally stands to reason you'll be totally out of your depth in ChampCar - and it really beggars belief why Marshalls sponsors back him rather than one of the many talented drivers his country has produced.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1383768)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
KB, how mcuh do you know about Marcus' team and team-mate in F3? And was it his first season racing in the UK, on unfamiliar tracks? If so there may be extenuating circusmtances, although either way he wasn't ready for ChampCars.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1383774)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His team was Fortec Motorsport - a very decent outfit.

His teammate was James Rossiter - a fellow F3 rookie - but he was a frontrunner.

Okay he was unfamiliar with the tracks - but a good driver will learn those quickly.

Marshall was a qualify 14th-ish type guy and seldom troubled the top ten finishers.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1384482)   #20
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appologise if this was covered else where, but the story of Will in a Champ Car was bogus unfortunately.

It seems poor old Darryl got confused between Team Australia and A1 Team Australia
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 17 Aug 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1384492)   #21
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
I appologise if this was covered else where, but the story of Will in a Champ Car was bogus unfortunately.

It seems poor old Darryl got confused between Team Australia and A1 Team Australia
Thats no surprise. He was at the A1 launch with Jones, and Karl Reindler.

Im pretty certain he'll land the seat (if that has not already happened).
Please stay away from V8's Will....please.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1385483)   #22
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, at least the A1 drive will be good for him. But a big black mark for the commentator - evne James Allen gets basic facts right.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1386035)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Oh bugger , I mjst apologise to everyone because I jumped straight onto the fact from Dazza.

I hope he lands the A1 ride at least and who knows it may lead to Champcar in the future
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1386046)   #24
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
K-B Foyt IV won a championship before comming into IRL, but in that championship IMO even Marcus Marshall would shine, and maybe even win it.

Menard's Infiniti Pro Series is noyhing like British formula 3...
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1386054)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

I don't disagree with you, Alex!