Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1719356)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
help wanted....

Having been let down on a heated windscreen and time running out I need to know what ideas anyone has to stop the windscreen misting up if it rains and or it gets cold outside at night (we are doing a 6 hour race this Saturday at Spa so any weather is possible)
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1719402)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You could try RainX, they do an anti mist liquid as well as the standard stuff although I have never tried it in a car so don't know how effective it is.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1719408)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
You could try RainX, they do an anti mist liquid as well as the standard stuff although I have never tried it in a car so don't know how effective it is.
I have heard mixed reports asto its effeciveness - I have used it on my visor but I also have a bit of gaffer tape to keep it ajar and that works better - sadly I cant do that to a windscreen!!!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1719431)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It works Ok but another thing you can rig up is a little mini blow heater that plugs into the cigar lighter (if you have one) or just fix it properly and wire it in. I have one somewhere picked it up at Maccess.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1719490)   #5
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rainx is ok but start to use it in time ! not on saterday 1500h.

Some people glued a 12v electric heating kit for rearscreen on the windscreen. but then you must stand the wires in your vision ?????

Dennis Welch Motorport do a heated screen for Healeys but maybe can help you to get a Cortina Screen??

I stick to Rain x on the TVR!!!

(don't forget to blind your rearscreen for all thos 9000w beams)

Good luck with preparation!!!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1719531)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't see the problem, its not going to rain and just open a window to clear the screen. Or stop breathing, both are effective Simon.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1719976)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

I thought about the rear windscreen kits but felt the wires would drive me mad - sadly we were let down by a supplier of heated windscreens so we are having to think hard about this as oresumably rain or not as the night falls the car will naturally start to mist up wont it? We didnt have the same problem last year as we were open top!
Peter I hope that you are right re no rain but I dont share your optimism...
Old 26 Sep 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1719995)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seriously if you open the windows you can clear it. It only becomes a problem if the weather is warm so I don't expect you to suffer.

Yes I am optimistic. I'm just about to buy a new set of dries because I trashed the last set at Silverstone in June!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1720002)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heated windscreens ,F,I,A Cars, Whatever next! .Seriously though Ive had many races in the wet ,and the only thing that does work is a blower of some description ,Halfords is worth a look, if you have no luck I have one in the garage, you would be welcome to use .I shall be there anyway. One thing to consider is to minimize water on a very hot floor, same effect as a sauner etc .As for rear glare, tank tape applied across the screen ,leave a 1 " gap between strips ,this is usualy enough.

Last edited by terence; 26 Sep 2006 at 07:34.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1720035)   #10
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Complete Automobilist sell an electric demister that is held on the screen with 2 suction cups.

It is a copy of a period item (not sure what period though), so could be the 'period correct' way of doing it!

http://www.completeautomobilist.co.u...ml?PartID=2632

I've never tried one, but would imagine you want to be sure your electrical system has excess capacity!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1720036)   #11
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just checked and Paul Beck, Vintage Car parts also do them.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1720107)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

presumably you need to have the airflow in the first instance - I think we are going to be timed out from buying from them as we are leaving crack of sparrows Thursday. I think the only answer is a fan and/or some tubing through the side window onto the windscreen to keep the air (albeit cold) flowing onto the windscreen
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1720174)   #13
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
presumably you need to have the airflow in the first instance - I think we are going to be timed out from buying from them as we are leaving crack of sparrows Thursday. I think the only answer is a fan and/or some tubing through the side window onto the windscreen to keep the air (albeit cold) flowing onto the windscreen
A lot of closed cars run with someting like brake ducting tube pointing forwards out of the window and then onto the screen - should do the job but make sure it is really well attached.

Might be worth checking your (wife's!) hoover attachments - some have
nice tapered ends which would help spread the airflow.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1720186)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
FWIW I just bought some Rain X anti fog and of course rain repellent.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1720269)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley
A lot of closed cars run with someting like brake ducting tube pointing forwards out of the window and then onto the screen - should do the job but make sure it is really well attached.

Might be worth checking your (wife's!) hoover attachments - some have
nice tapered ends which would help spread the airflow.
you must have been talking to my spanners!! They also suggested raiding the hoover - presumably if I find a shop selling Hoovers they might sell tubes to me....
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1720404)   #16
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
you must have been talking to my spanners!! They also suggested raiding the hoover - presumably if I find a shop selling Hoovers they might sell tubes to me....
Only problem is these days it seems to be harder and harder to buy spare parts - most shops would rather sell you a new hoover (or any other piece of electrical equipment) rather than a spare part.

Dyson sell spares online, and loads of people sell them on Ebay - but your deadline could rule them out.

And if you've already got the parts why spend money that could be far better invested at the frites stand............
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1720406)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Only problem is these days it seems to be harder and harder to buy spare parts - most shops would rather sell you a new hoover (or any other piece of electrical equipment) rather than a spare part.

Dyson sell spares online, and loads of people sell them on Ebay - but your deadline could rule them out.

And if you've already got the parts why spend money that could be far better invested at the frites stand............
because I dont want a call from home on Friday asking where half the hoover is!!!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1720416)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
that'll be the cleaner phoning presumably. Tell her to talk to your wife.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1720427)   #19
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be really 'in period' you could try the old trick of cutting a potato in half and giving the inside of the screen a good rub.

Worked in the 'old days' (apparently)....
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1720437)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
that'll be the cleaner phoning presumably. Tell her to talk to your wife.
she is well aware that my wife has no idea where its kept!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1720446)   #21
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutineer here, approve of all period specification solutions- pleased to note that there is an intention by, at least some, competitors to look where they are going. Maybe a novelty for some.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1720448)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Scrutineer here, approve of all period specification solutions- pleased to note that there is an intention by, at least some, competitors to look where they are going. Maybe a novelty for some.
based on last year's rate of attrition I reckon that if I am still running at the end then I have a good chance of being on the saloon podium!!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1720450)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Try a place that refurb's them. They still might sell you a complete unit, but it will only cost you about £30 and at least you have something that will help clean the garage up afterwards!

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Sep 2006 at 08:40.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1720451)   #24
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be Simon there are only thirteen saloons on the entry list.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1720458)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hall
Could be Simon there are only thirteen saloons on the entry list.
15 last time I looked - to be honest would still prefer to be in the Merlyn but they make the rules up not me! so statistically I have a better chance of doing well than the GT's. What time are you doing the scrutineering? we should be there for lunchtime Thursday