Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 31 Jul 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1977531)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get your motorsport photo published

I have just picked this up from another forum. Get your motorsport image in a coffee table photo-book (profits for the motorsport safety fund)

http://www.driversknow.co.uk/photoBook/enter/

I might dig a few photos out and send them in.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1978406)   #2
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
might just do that.

I just might.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 13:58 (Ref:1979078)   #3
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just picked this up from another forum. Get your motorsport image in a coffee table photo-book (profits for the motorsport safety fund)

http://www.driversknow.co.uk/photoBook/enter/

I might dig a few photos out and send them in.

It would appear to be a rights grab..............look at the terms and conditions.

Look at clauses 8 and 9

# All entries become the property of the promoter.
# All individuals submitting images to the competition give their consent to the image being published at a later date.

Beats paying pros the going rate I suppose.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1979153)   #4
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. and, zoot allors, it even looks like you'll have to buy a copy of the book just to see if you've been published, meaning not only have you given up any rights of ownership, but you will also have to pay for the privilege of seeing that work in print..

They don't even have to credit your work with your name..

.. and, what's more, they make no claim such as "all proceeds to charity".. so they can claim a "management" type fee before what's left goes to charity..

I shall not be bothering to send anything in to them.. But I am left wondering why I didn't think of this first....

Last edited by David L; 2 Aug 2007 at 15:51.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1979209)   #5
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm that is true.

Why don't we do the ten tenths version?

A book of the best photos of the past few years, with a section for each section of the forums, then give profits to charity? Surely, there's enough of us and enough pictures to make sure some money went to a good cause.
And everyone is named by their picture, and can write their own captions. Hell, you could even let the most knowledgable or those with interesting stories wrtie texty bits. I'd buy it.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1979241)   #6
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Hmm that is true.
Ah.. yes.. my original post was confusing.. I meant why didn't I dream up the scammy money making version and fatten my wallet in the process..
Old 2 Aug 2007, 20:57 (Ref:1979362)   #7
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm that is true.

A book of the best photos of the past few years, with a section for each section of the forums, then give profits to charity? Surely, there's enough of us and enough pictures to make sure some money went to a good cause.
And everyone is named by their picture, and can write their own captions. Hell, you could even let the most knowledgable or those with interesting stories wrtie texty bits. I'd buy it.
Another photography forum which I frequent did just that, members submitted 2 images each, a committee decided on the best images, these were put to a public vote on the forum to whittle the entries down a bit more before the committee made a final decision.

The book is being self published as a none profit thing and has proved to be a hell of a job. They were hoping to publish by the end of February but we are still waiting. This is no reflection on the people involved, it just illustrates how much work is involved for the unwary although what I've seen of the book (I've got an image going in) it looks like the effort is going to be worth it.

Of course if you can find a friendly publisher who will do all the hard work then you are laughing.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1979669)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK, I'll put the dampeners on this as usual

The difficulty with motorsport events (like all sporting events) is that most of those who have taken pictures don't have the right to do anything with them other than use them for personal use (spectators) or for media purposes only (media).

Publishing them in a book, even for charity would be classed as a commercial activity and would require the consent of the rights holders (circuit owners etc.). The rights owners may choose to give their consent but they would have to be contacted or you would risk spending the costs to get the book published and then finding you couldn't sell it.

Sorry....
Old 3 Aug 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1979711)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hmm that is true.

A book of the best photos of the past few years, with a section for each section of the forums,
I dread to think what the Parc Ferme submission would be like.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1987669)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Fair Point Piglet,

But going back to the T&C's, the proceeds to the book are going towards the MSF. So it'd be pretty harsh of a circuit not to wave their rights. You aren't wrong, but I reckon it'd be a technicality in this instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
OK, I'll put the dampeners on this as usual

The difficulty with motorsport events (like all sporting events) is that most of those who have taken pictures don't have the right to do anything with them other than use them for personal use (spectators) or for media purposes only (media).

Publishing them in a book, even for charity would be classed as a commercial activity and would require the consent of the rights holders (circuit owners etc.). The rights owners may choose to give their consent but they would have to be contacted or you would risk spending the costs to get the book published and then finding you couldn't sell it.

Sorry....
Old 17 Aug 2007, 06:28 (Ref:1990696)   #11
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi.

Dunlop are not taking a management fee from this book. We will underwrite the print costs and all sales revenue will go to to the Fund.

Yes, I agree with the post above. A book isn't easy to collate, but it is certainly worth a stab to raise some funds!

Entries close soon...........thanks for the submissions so far.

James Bailey
Dunlop
Old 17 Aug 2007, 07:55 (Ref:1990754)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Fair Point Piglet,

But going back to the T&C's, the proceeds to the book are going towards the MSF. So it'd be pretty harsh of a circuit not to wave their rights. You aren't wrong, but I reckon it'd be a technicality in this instance.
You might think that would be the case and I'd hope so. BUT whoever was going to publish would have to locate and contact each and every rights holder (not just circuits) to ask the question.

You've presumably not heard the story of the chap who wrote (I'm told) a very nice book about the ACO and Le Mans without their consent and was then required to pulp his entire print run?!
Old 17 Aug 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1990841)   #13
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
You might think that would be the case and I'd hope so. BUT whoever was going to publish would have to locate and contact each and every rights holder (not just circuits) to ask the question.

You've presumably not heard the story of the chap who wrote (I'm told) a very nice book about the ACO and Le Mans without their consent and was then required to pulp his entire print run?!

And that was because he used the ACO logo without permission! The court did not start to deal with the issue of images used without permission from the ACO and the appropriate fee being paid...