Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 26 May 2001, 06:23 (Ref:96747)   #1
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenny Roberts Jr.

Now I've been a fan of kenny's since Argentina 99' when he had a ding-dong with Max. (argentina is a good track by the way and should be in the championship) But there has been a lot of talk about him this year about his bike and his attitude and his win last year.

So I'd like to invite people to give there opinons!

My opinion:
Firstly, There is no doubt in my mind that he deserved the title. And i think any talk of him being 'lucky' is lacks repect.

Second, Kenny's bike is not a winner (at the momment anyway). And what is all this talk about suzuki not having a 4 stroke untill 2003???
Talk about not supporting you rider! Suzuki have a history of that!

Third, Doohan has been giving Kenny a hard time about complaining about his bike (Yes, mick we all know you don't think he deserved to win last year) but what is he meant to say that the bike is really quick when its not?? I think his actually being quite smart in telling them back in Japan that something needs to be done (a bit of public humiliation seems to go a long way (Doohan did it whenever they fixed his bike at the beginning of each session)

What are you throughts no these kenny issues?
Old 26 May 2001, 06:48 (Ref:96764)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if mick thinks that kenny didnt deserve to win the title last year, do we know who mick thought should have.......kenny thoroughly deserved the title and is a 500cc world champion no matter what anyone else says....

suzuki isnt a great bike at the moment but it isnt as far a way as we hear/see - figure 2 suzuki riders (1 with a ?) against 5 or so hondas, 7 or 8 yamahas.......i would like to see suzuki run 3 or 4 bikes in gp and superbike
Old 26 May 2001, 07:08 (Ref:96778)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm not sure how much he deserved it, but I am sure nobody else did. Compared to others, he easily deserved it, and at the end of the day he won, cased closed.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 10:03 (Ref:100110)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenny did deserve last years title and he is showing this year why - good rides on a bad bike.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 20:26 (Ref:101159)   #5
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenny,
he doesn't really impress me all that much I must admit. Looks good early but never seems to hold it till the end. How many times have we watched him slowly fall back in the latter stages of a race?Cetrainly didn't look like he was lacking any speed for the first half of most of those races. Then again, Mick's complete domination of the sport for 5 years is a hard act to follow.

And now that Valentino is on the ball, I don't think we will ever see Kenny as WC again, unless VR breaks a leg etc etc

Kenny is talented and a good rider, but he ain't no Mick!!
Old 5 Jun 2001, 19:41 (Ref:101539)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if you Aussies ever stop loving yourselfs about Doohan. Sure he was great but he ws not a patch on Schwantz, Rainey or Lawson.
Roberts proved last year that he is a great championship rider. He hated having to ride for points and proved it with some awesome rides after clinching the title.
His bike is not the fastest and I get fed up with Mick moaning when he himself had a 10 hp advantage all through his career and a bike that no one else could ride but him consistently. Oh and what a surprise that Rossi is the favoured son. I feel sorry for Alex who has dropped like a stone after winning a world title for Honda and is now just the poor realtion in the HRC rankings.
Rossi is very good and will be champion but he has the best of everything, just like Mick did
Old 5 Jun 2001, 20:45 (Ref:101560)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

So chunder, care to back up your statement on Doohan not being a patch on Rainey, lawson and another favourite rider of mine Schwantz?
5 WC's for Mick and he did it with a leg that has no calf muscle and looked like he had an argument with a great white and lost.
Chunder, you only get the best of everything when you deserve it. Multi million dollar race teams don't spend that sort of money cause they think you are a nice guy. If Honda followed this line of thought, do you really think they would have any one riding for them apart from a Japanese rider?
I too feel sorry for Criville, but all he had to do wsas perform and I am sure things would be different now for him. As we all know, Alex use to follow Mick around to get his good times and Criville rode the same bike as Mick, same power etc etc and couldn't beat him. No offence meant to Alex, but he obviously can't ride as well as Mick or set up / develop a bike as well.
As for us Aussies being proud of Mick and what he has achieved, too damm right we are.Read those stat's and weap chunder!!!!
TO Summarize, the best rider/driver will always find his way in to the best team, CAUSE HE HAS EARN'T IT!!!
OOhh, nearly forgot, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, OI, OI OI
Old 5 Jun 2001, 21:25 (Ref:101576)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree with Alan Chunder. Kevin was great but his win/finish/DNF ratio isn't that good. Lawson was brilliant, and Rainey would have won more championships if he wasn't maimed for life.

But, Mick has the runs on the board and would have won more championships if he wasn't maimed for life as well.

As for we Aussies being monumental pains in the arse. Your right! But don't worry, we will now have to endure years of smart arse Eyetalians crowing about Valentino.
Old 5 Jun 2001, 21:49 (Ref:101583)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Moff, better they crow about valentino than " black flag" Biaggi!!
Old 6 Jun 2001, 08:22 (Ref:101688)   #10
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody who wins ANY World Championship deserves it... and was never just "lucky"... and anybody who says different is a fool with no racing experience.

I just believe that Suzuki has a significantly smaller budget than the "big 2" teams... and I am frankly hoping that one of the "big 2" offer KR Jr a ride for 2002.

Then we will know what is what and who is who.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 21:39 (Ref:102677)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK let's end this here.
No one from the current era can ever match Lawson.
The only rider in recent times to win titles on two different bikes, and only a year after winning on another type.
He also won possibly the bravest race ever by starting a soaking wet GP on a cut slick tyre.
I Doohan had gone to Yamaha when Wayne offered hime the ride, won a couple of titles then faor enough GOD he would be, but sorry guys he just kept his arse on the NSR when he could have gone elsewhere and rubbed everybodys noses in it like Lawson did
Hail Eddie the real King
Old 9 Jun 2001, 00:42 (Ref:102727)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Chunder, if that the way you see it, good luck to you. Lawson was also a great rider agreed, and without drowning in patriotism, So was Mick. We just happen to think he was better, and the records back up our claim. Also , if it was just the bike, how come Alex didn't bag a title or two? Sorry chunder, but to have the last word, you need to be right!(9)
AJ
Old 9 Jun 2001, 00:43 (Ref:102728)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

That(9) was 'sposed to be a smiling face.....computers!
Old 9 Jun 2001, 01:05 (Ref:102730)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
chunder just cant understand how proud us aussies are about micks record - true eddie lawson was a brilliant rider and world champion, nobody here doubts that.....

you could easily talk about "king" carl fogarty here in these forums if you wished, i am sure we would have something decent to say in regards to carl - or are you going to continue your aussie bashing.....bring on the ashes!
Old 9 Jun 2001, 13:43 (Ref:102973)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Chunder, Chunder, Chunder. What an appropriate name.

Are you serious. Obviously I'm Australian, but what planet are you on? You can't possibly be watching the same racing as we are here on Earth.

5 Championships, and let me quote you correctly
Quote:
but he ws not a patch on Schwantz, Rainey or Lawson.
These were great riders, no argument there, but they would have been highly rated also-rans after chasing Mick for a further five years. Please. Mick would not have won as easy with REAL competition such as these, but, don't delude yourself my friend, they still would have been beaten.

Quote:
I feel sorry for Alex who has dropped like a stone after winning a world title for Honda and is now just the poor realtion in the HRC rankings.
As stated by others, Alex just was'nt good enough. Neither was Kenny, and Max is the biggist blowhard in the history of the sport.

Chunder, I thinks its time you returned to Earth from planet delusion, and faced facts, 5 World championships, thats great in any earthlings books.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 06:18 (Ref:103223)   #16
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets get this discussion back on track.

Kenny Roberts Jr. this year has (I feel) ridden some brave races. In Italy he showed his ability (dry & wet), by leading both races. But as other have mentioned he starts strong and goes backwards. So the question is could even the brillent Doohan ride or set the bike up better? Do you think Kenny just can't ride when the tyres go off? It seems hard to believe that he can't after he showed his ability in Italy!
Old 22 Jun 2001, 17:40 (Ref:108332)   #17
flashlightning
Rookie

flashlightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Kenny, Jr.

Last year was incredible for Kenny. But I don't think the team put enough into development during the off season. He sure inspired me during the off season check out the 2 paintings I did of Kenny, Jr. at http://flashlightning.com. I used to go see his Dad race on dirt tracks when I was a child now to see his boys race it is fun to see things come full circle.
Old 23 Jun 2001, 18:40 (Ref:108671)   #18
3M_chix
Rookie

3M_chix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
And now that Valentino is on the ball, I don't think we will ever see Kenny as WC again, unless VR breaks a leg etc etc

::eeek:: Touch wood!!!

~Sarah
Old 23 Jun 2001, 18:46 (Ref:108676)   #19
3M_chix
Rookie

3M_chix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think that Kenny deserved that World Championship title last year. To me, he was the most consistent rider of all. But I did wonder why it isn't the same this year. Bad bike setting, perhaps? I dunno. He did drop back a number of places towards the end of the races, esp when his tyres are wearing off.

Well, just my thoughts..

~Sarah