Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1274103)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Coulthard future unclear

Unsure if this has been posted elsewhere, nor am I sure of its credibility.

I was reading in a newspaper today (unsure which one) that David Coulthard has reportedly contacted Dietrich Mateschitz today to clarify his future with the team.

Mateschitz has been quoted in Italy as saying that Coulthard isn't in his plans for 2006 and he has settled on the driver pairing of Liuzzi and Klien for next year.

Interesting, if this is true.........Coulthard has done a very good job this year in my view and to some extent has proved myself and many others wrong. He is respected by the young drivers in the team and Christian Horner speaks highly of him, as do most in the team.

So is this more Red Bull Racing craziness? It seems that Horner says one thing and that Mateschitz and co. make decisions to the opposite effect!

Would it be a good idea to keep Coulthard next season or should he go? After all, Klien is very handy and deserves a seat at the team. Liuzzi is about to get his racing shot and we mostly expect him to be a hit and to push DC hard, maybe outshine him.

But if DC is discarded, they lose that experienced head and technical input, which can be of such benefit to a team like RBR.

Interesting stuff......what do you make of it?
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1274123)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it would be worth keeping DC on next year - they'd get the full benefit of his input over a full winter of testing.

And he's scored points in every race this year - who would have predicted that before the season started.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1274148)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Red Bull is all about youthful marketing, and I'm not sure that DC fits into that demographic. With all of the Red Bull driver programs out there, and all of the series that they support and sponsor, it should be quite easy for them to find some really good, young talent. I can see the line-up for next year being Klein/Liuzzi/Speed. All have the "look" that Red Bull wants to project, and the talent to match.

As I said in another thread on the Red Bull topic, this team will never have the best car in F1, but I do believe they will have the best driver line-up very soon...

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1274150)   #4
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull is a developing team who need DC at the moment........ i can't see why that would change next year

2007 onward's may be a different story.

Anyway,we are only 3 races into the season and DC has done a fine job up to now.

IF Mateschitz has said this then i think it is VERY premature and not exactly helpful considering the good vibe Red Bull has going at the momeent.

Mind you he also said (if i am not mistaken) that he wouldn't employ DC......so it's a bit hard to know if what he say's will actually happen in reality.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1274152)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I think DC was largely employed at the discretion of Purnell/Pitchforth. Those two are now gone of course......
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1274158)   #6
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe DC is looking elsewhere?
http://www.msttiming.com/singlesessi...ilverstone.gif
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1274159)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC didn't join until after the takeover and he knew they would not be there when he signed his contract.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1274161)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure RBR wouldn't turn down TGFs services just because he wasn't young and trendy.

A team needs the best drivers it can get,whoever they happen to be.

DC has been quite outspoken this year and has shown he has a sense of humour,best driver for the team at the moment.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1274197)   #9
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC is handy because he has experience and knows what it takes to win GP's. He's also been quite slower than Klien in quali. In other words, he's purely there for his experience. It could be that RBR doesn't need that experience anymore next year.
And of course, Klien en Liuzzi are good drivers and they match the RBR profile.
Young and fast.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1274201)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why are people obsessed with "he's been slower in qualifying"?

It's the race you get points for - and he has more of them.

Bear in mind, too, he's given Christian a lot of help - in some cases it's helped Klien outqualify him!
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1274214)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David doesn't fit in with the image Red Bull are keen on projecting. It's the only logical explanation.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1274216)   #12
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Why are people obsessed with "he's been slower in qualifying"?

It's the race you get points for - and he has more of them.
True, but will he continue to score more points in the race? At some point (haha) his teammates will get more experienced to.

Quote:
Bear in mind, too, he's given Christian a lot of help - in some cases it's helped Klien outqualify him!
It's still Klien who does the lap.

Last edited by Marlboro man; 9 Apr 2005 at 19:49.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1274222)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I agree his qualifying hurts him. Sure he is still garnering points. But he could get even more if he just got qualifying that bit better.

Still, doesn't detract from what has been a fairly good season for him so far. Even in a pretty awful weekend like Bahrain he got a point.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1274225)   #14
Marlboro man
Rookie

Sure DC can drive brilliant races but for everyone good race he also drives a ****ty one.
There's a reason why he's the driver with the most victories and no titel.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1274227)   #15
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Mateschitz say DC wasn't in his plans for 2005 and then sign him?
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1274232)   #16
Marlboro man
Rookie

That might have been a negociation strategy.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1274234)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
DC didn't join until after the takeover and he knew they would not be there when he signed his contract.
He only found out a little time after he signed and was initially appalled. Although he now understands why the changes were made and is fully supportive of them.

Anyways, the point is, Purnell and Pitchforth, in my opinion, really swung Mateschitz into offering DC the drive, for the first year at least. I don't truly believe that Mateschitz is fully enamoured with the fact that DC drives for him, as much as he respects him.

So with DC's two main supporters long gone, the path is clear for him to offload DC for next season.....after all, hardly anybody will object now will they?!?!

Christian Horner is a DC fan.......but he seems to have no ultimate say in driver choice, which is a pity as he would know better than the two guys who make the final choice....
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1274256)   #18
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy

So with DC's two main supporters long gone, the path is clear for him to offload DC for next season.....after all, hardly anybody will object now will they?!?!

Christian Horner is a DC fan.......but he seems to have no ultimate say in driver choice, which is a pity as he would know better than the two guys who make the final choice....
Knowsley ........how do you know "hardly anybody will object" and that Christian Horner "seems to have no ultimate say".

F1 is a cut-throat business and DC could be out at the end of this year just because he dosen't fit the "image" of Red Bull..........but what use is that image if the car and result's are rubbish.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1274257)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Depends, if Liuzzi turns out to be the real deal (and they can keep him), then Klien and Liuzzi might be a good combo.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1274264)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come on guys!...There's no sentiment in F1!...Mateyschitz only bought JAG to get his two proteges into F1...DC was just a stop gap till Liuzzi found his feet. Really TL needed this year as 3rd driver...but we saw the way 'Matey' pushed Klien into racing last year...Marko's just as pushy!...little Jack H...just sits in the corner!

Last edited by Rennen; 9 Apr 2005 at 21:05.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1274300)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't 100% prove it, but it seems like DC's involvement in the team has made a substantial contribution to where there are today. Every team who's struggling should be looking at bringing DC on board to help sort things out. (from BAR back) I mentioned this once before, but during the SpeedTV coverage of the second round, they said that after DC did his qualifying run he radioed in and said "Tell Christian to run more front wing." Klien then proceded to outqualify him. Do you think Klien is going to be doing that for Liuzzi or vise versa? Setups are shared between teammates, but they're not going to go out of their way to give their prime competitor an advantage. Also, DC's contacts in the industry have resulted in bringing multiple people into the team.

I'll use an IRL example to illustrate what I'm trying to point out. On the Andretti-Green team, they have four drivers, one of them is Brian Herta. Herta is really variable in his performances and the worst perfoming of the four, but he's really good at developing setups and he is often the primary source of setups. AGR is an incredible powerhouse in the IRL and a big part of the reason they have him on the team is because his participation results in the other drivers having success. DC has been around for a long time and appears to be very good at doing the same thing. Setup can mean seconds a lap!

DC grew facial hair now that he's on Red Bull, surely that plays into their marketing scheme?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1274343)   #22
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the report on f1racing last night, IIRC (it was late).

I recall reading that DC himself hadn't heard what Mateschitz had said and he was going to find out what he could about it.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1274349)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would DC be involved in knowing what he will be doing next year? Isnt that the driver's manager's job??

Mr Brundle... come on down
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 10 Apr 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1274407)   #24
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC has done an excellent job this year, but a time will come when RBR have enough data on all three drivers to make an informed decision.

I think DC may find Liuzzi a tougher nut to crack than Klein, so this debate may grow throughout the season
Old 10 Apr 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1274421)   #25
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i believe the best is yet to come this year for DC. Lets see what happens when they start to race on some the euro circuits where there isnt the extremes of Temp etc and where the teams have years of data.