Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1227237)   #1
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Newton Lola

I am getting a bit confused about this car. Am I right in thinking that this car is:

1. The tub of the EX257 (nr. 002)
2. Some bits and pieces of the EX257
3. A B05/40 aerokit
4. It will run in LM P2 and therefore not able to take an overall win in Le Mans????
5. It will be differend from the B05/40 Hybride Lola is building????

Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1227248)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read the article in Dailysportscar this morning, and the way I understand it:

The chassis is the B05/40, with some parts from the EX257

The car will compete in LMP2

For specifics, read the piece on DSC....well-written piece that explained the situation pretty well.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1227263)   #3
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
I just read that bit again (I bit more awake at the moment, love those nightshifts ) And I agree with you that it wil be a new chassis (he says so himself)

So it wil basicly be an MB badged B05/40 With an MG badged engine (AER??) with some old bits stuck on it (saving money) and private development (spending money).
Old 16 Feb 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1227310)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only part that confuses me is that RML is to run only this MG/Lola crossover and not in tandem with a B05/40? i assume this as the possibility of a second car later in the season is mentioned as a possibility and not as definite as said before...
Old 16 Feb 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1227356)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl
With an MG badged engine (AER??)
Think the DSC piece said it was a V8- my guess would be an MG-badged Judd?
Old 16 Feb 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1227359)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
the only part that confuses me is that RML is to run only this MG/Lola crossover and not in tandem with a B05/40? i assume this as the possibility of a second car later in the season is mentioned as a possibility and not as definite as said before...
That's the way it read to me as well- the second car being the original EX257. The bit I didn't quite get was that I thought Mike Newton was quoted in the article as saying they've gone the route of this MG/Lola crossover because the cost of converting the original car to an LMP2 hybrid was prohibitive- so if they do run it as a second car, then what spec will it be in- LMP1?- or have I totally misread it?
Old 16 Feb 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1227372)   #7
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe

As I understand it Mike Newton’s MG (EX264 MG-Lola) IS the new Lola you discribe as B05/40. The possible second car is the current RML run EX257.

That makes me wonder if in 2005 the car(s) will be run by RML or, if not, wheter RML might do a project themselves.

About the engine, IIRC there is a AER V8 program but I could be mistaking about that. With the ties between Judd and MG that might be a good option too ofcourse.

Why can't I be an F1 fan where there are only V10 engines in 2005 cars............
Old 16 Feb 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1227428)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do they get an incentive for badging the engine as MG? I'm assuming they do because I see no other purpose for rebadging the engine.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1227432)   #9
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a brief discussion with Mike last year, and he wanted to put a V8 in the lola chassis, as the turbo 2 litre engine was fragile. This may be the reason behind some of the above discussion.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1227456)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl
Why can't I be an F1 fan where there are only V10 engines in 2005 cars............

because if you were an f1 fan you wouldn't be talking about engines, you'd be talking about how fat kimis got over the winter or how michael schumacher is the anti-christ.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1227507)   #11
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Do they get an incentive for badging the engine as MG? I'm assuming they do because I see no other purpose for rebadging the engine.
Their existing car ran as an MG in the LMES last year, and livery included fairly prominent MG logos- could they be getting some degree of support from MG-Rover?
Old 16 Feb 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1227539)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just seen the pictures over on DSC and I have to say I like it. Lets just hope it goes as well as it looks.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1227908)   #13
jim69
Racer

You can check out the RML web site, that has some information on this years car. www.rmlmallock.co.uk
Old 17 Feb 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1228181)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm assuming that the chassis model number is different than the B05/40 due to some of the parts that they put on the car from the EX257, plus a different engine cowling to accommodate the
V-8....much in the same way that the Intersport Lola's model number changed from EX257 to B160 after it was converted to accommodate the Judd 3.4 L V-8

Is that correct???

Old 17 Feb 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1228571)   #15
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and what if the said V8 was a Zytek... Zytek supposedly has a DTM project ready for MG-Rover...
Old 17 Feb 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1228596)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix
and what if the said V8 was a Zytek... Zytek supposedly has a DTM project ready for MG-Rover...

Just so that there is not confusion here, I am not suggesting that the V-8 in this particular case is a Judd...

I have no idea what V-8 will be in that chassis...

I merely used the Intersport conversion of the EX257's powerplant to a Judd V-8 in late 2003 being what prompted a new model number for their car...the B160...

I hope that my post did not imply that this team would be running a Judd, because Mr. Newton did not indicate who is building the engine for his car.

and I apologize if my post seemed to convey that

Old 17 Feb 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1228683)   #17
fia289
Rookie

Canada
fia289 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, RML on their website claimed to be converting the EX257 to a Judd XV V8 and to LMP2 specs, with the announcement of their 2005 plans in November 2004, this car was to maintain the name of MG Lola even with the Judd. Now we have learned that that conversion was drop due to cost reasons and they decided to go with a new lola instead wich is renamed EX 264. Why would they be using a different engine ?

Also the Judd is a known 24h quantity, Intersport did well with it in LMP2 last year, they won lemans didn't they
Creation is also taking the Zytek out and replacing it with a Judd....

Fred

Last edited by fia289; 17 Feb 2005 at 20:23.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1228801)   #18
jim69
Racer

the whole reason for the change to a V8 instead of the turbo engine was for 24 hour races. From my conversation with Mike he felt that the turbo engine was the weak link, hence the retirement after 20 hours at Lemans
Old 18 Feb 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1229677)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see from the MG X-Power forum that RML have appointed Alastair Macqueen as there Race and Development Engineer working on the Le Mans and Le Mans Endurance Series MG Lola LMP2 car. In the past he has worked on the TWR Jaguar's, the Gulf McLaren's and was project manager of the Bentley programme.

Sounds a very good move to me.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1229691)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix
And why cant it be a Dick Johnson Racing prepared V8Supercar Ford SVO engine that Mr Newton already bought when he picked up a couple of cars down here not that long ago?

The Supercar motor is 5 litres in capacity, and at full stretch, will make 665bhp.... from its OHV technology.... if they keep the revs to the 7,500 rpm limit, its entirely possible that powerplant would last 24hrs..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Feb 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1229760)   #21
jim69
Racer

Mike had two ex Dick Johnson Fords. One was used for the 24 Hrs at Nurburgring, however an over ambitious driver planted it in the wall on the second lap of practice, causing extensive damage to the car, and BREAKING THE ENGINE MOUNTS OFF THE BLOCK ON BOTH SIDES. I assume the second engine will go back in the Ford, once repaired.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1229771)   #22
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been on www.xpower-mg.com/forum who have the full story about Alistair Macqueen joining RML. Is this reliable information? Not as yet seen a printable version on here or DSC or Planetlemans.com.

If true, this is great news for Mike Newton's Team.

PRF
Old 18 Feb 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1229835)   #23
PRF
Racer

Take it as read that the V8 that will be installed in the rear of the MG EX264 will be a Judd 3.4. Forget AER. Last year the team were not running at full chat because of worries over reliability. With the badge engineered MG nee Judd this will provide Mike and Tommy Erdos to enjoy reliability and win that coverted LMP2 Class outright. The AER unit is fine in sprints and say up to 6 hours. 12 hours and you are really pushing it. Why do Dyson avoid Le Mans? Fear the engine will let go.

Zytek is a complete kettle of fish. The ZT racer has been developed soley by Zytek with MGR's blessing. That's it. 100% Zytek Baby.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1230055)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRF
Just been on www.xpower-mg.com/forum who have the full story about Alistair Macqueen joining RML. Is this reliable information? Not as yet seen a printable version on here or DSC or Planetlemans.com.

If true, this is great news for Mike Newton's Team.

PRF
http://www.planetlemans.com/index.ph...d=717&Itemid=2
Old 19 Feb 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1230294)   #25
PRF
Racer

Looks like the guys on xpower-mg.com are supporting the EX264 at LMES rounds and Le Mans.