Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2002, 08:41 (Ref:386390)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Alonso - The next Schumacher?

Well, according to Flavio Briatore he is.

F1-Live.com are running this story with Flav's thoughts on his new driver.
Quote:
"When we signed Michael all those years ago, we knew we had someone special. I have that same gut reaction with Fernando. He is the future of our team and a guy who will make things happen,” Flavio was quoted as saying in the Sun. "Every team has been looking for another Schumacher and I believe we have beaten them to it with Fernando."
What do you think?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 08:44 (Ref:386394)   #2
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Break-up with Naomi has left some heavy consequences.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 09:10 (Ref:386414)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard him say this quote on telly the weekend it was announced that Renault has signed Alonso!

I think the guy has talent, but only time will tell. It is encouraging that Flav. says the team had the same feeling about Schumacher at the same time in his career. Let's hope he lives up to some of the expectations!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 09:39 (Ref:386429)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way too early to make a judgement. Although he was doing well in the Minardi last season.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 10:34 (Ref:386463)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i had the gut reaction Flavio should just shuddup and let Alonso get on with his job to grow without undue pressure. We've talked about how the hype around JPM had blunted his achievements... now Flavio want the world to pile pressure on Alonso?!! I doubt it is good for the driver..but i have this sick feeling Flavio's doing it for the publicity and sponsors.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:26 (Ref:386502)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
We all await Alonso's Renault debut with great anticipation. However, I really think that it is ridiculous for anyone to be touted as the next Schumacher (I hope he didn't mean Ralf), Senna, or Prost. This is just silly talk by Flav.

Valve
Old 23 Sep 2002, 12:17 (Ref:386560)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso is a case of wait and see. Plenty of potential but seeing how ego's and potential can be crushed so easily...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 13:26 (Ref:386608)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Does Alonso like to punt his championship competitors off the track in the last race too?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 14:02 (Ref:386624)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the good of the sport, I hope YES !
Old 23 Sep 2002, 15:04 (Ref:386655)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poor old Flav just can't help himself....Fernando hasn't even started a race in a decent car year....and his manager is...FB.

Mind you Flav think's Trulli is great as well.....
Old 23 Sep 2002, 15:06 (Ref:386656)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Poor old Flav just can't help himself....Fernando hasn't even started a race in a decent car yet....and his manager is...FB.

Mind you, Flav think's Trulli is great as well.....
One day I'll get the hang of this thing

Last edited by Super Tourer; 23 Sep 2002 at 15:08.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 16:07 (Ref:386668)   #12
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel it is far too early to be making statements like that, but as he is Flav's flavour of the year, it is not unexpected.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 16:26 (Ref:386675)   #13
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he woudn't be good than he woudn't have got the drive from Jenson...that is a good sign of his 'abilities' replacing the fastest driver of the team must mean something...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 16:43 (Ref:386679)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bart_jacobs
If he woudn't be good than he woudn't have got the drive from Jenson...that is a good sign of his 'abilities' replacing the fastest driver of the team must mean something...
That kind of logic doesn't always work. For example I haven't found yet a comment like "if Schumacher wouldn't be that good he wouldn't have got an number 1 status... that is a good sign of his 'abilities'"... ooops sorry for hijacking the thread

Back to topic; Bart, you make a good point! Why did he replace the fastest driver of the team? :confused: Even if he would be the next Schumacher, it makes sense to replace the slower and breed the next Schumacher!

Yes he is good, but the next Schumacher..... too early to say. Actually I'm not exactly sure if he's better than Jenson. But he's talented, that's for sure.

Last edited by Red; 23 Sep 2002 at 16:44.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:19 (Ref:386693)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... maybe he could be the next Hill then ?

From test driver to champion...
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:43 (Ref:386888)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

Back to topic; Bart, you make a good point! Why did he replace the fastest driver of the team? :confused: Even if he would be the next Schumacher, it makes sense to replace the slower and breed the next Schumacher!
I was under the impression that Jenson was replaced because Trulli is Flavios' man, and by managing/employing 2 drivers under contract to drive, his own earning potential increases exponentially. After taking some heat for getting rid of the better performer last season, he is quite naturally under some scrutiny to justify his own decision. He should hope he doesn't end up with a "Felipe-like" performance from Fernando.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:47 (Ref:386890)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Fernando does live up to expectations!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:23 (Ref:386914)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Uhn... maybe he could be the next Hill then ?
No need to be nasty Bon

I also think its too early to say, and any more hype and he will be destined to fall flat on his face. Like Webber, it wont be until he races against a real teammate that we can judge how good he really is. I'm guessing (for both of them) they are.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:36 (Ref:386929)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'd prefer Alonso to be the next Hill than the next Coulthard... because he'd have a World Championship!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:41 (Ref:386934)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Thats choosing the lesser of 2 evils there Jordi.[/Hill&CoultardBashing]

As mentioned in another thread, we get ourselves all excited over rookies hoping that someone, anyone, will make this series more interesting. I hope he is'nt the next schumacher. DO we really need another individual dominating the sport?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:54 (Ref:386947)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a very harsh call on ABBA to be labelled the next "Schumacher". I don't think it's fair to cop all that from your boss. It's a different thing if it's the media, but if it's your boss ....
Old 24 Sep 2002, 00:57 (Ref:386985)   #22
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bart_jacobs
You may find this difficult to believe, but Jenson isn't always the fastest driver in the team.

Certainly not in qualifying, that's obvious. And, if you look at the race lap times, he and his team mate are pretty equal, which you might expect, in the same car. And sometimes Trulli is quicker!!! Yes, it does happen. At Monza, Jenson was asked to let Trulli by, because Trulli was faster (oh, sacrilege! )and the team thought he had more chance of catching Irvine.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 07:18 (Ref:387081)   #23
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FA may well be a 'great' in the making - who knows.

But, at the end of the day Renault are going to need to find plenty more horsepower if the guy is to regularly get points - and it seems to me, that's the only way drivers are deemed great.

No prizes for chasing around mid-pack (look at McNish and co.) even if you are going as fast as you can.

I wish him well!
Old 24 Sep 2002, 11:22 (Ref:387186)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is an unproven commodity, having only driven a Minardi with Yoong & Marques as team-mates in his one year of F1 competition leaves nothing but question-marks. As for him being the next Scumacher, c'mon Flav your pulling the wrong leg
And can somebody please explain to me what makes Button's year this year so great. Maybe the fact that he hasn't sucked as bad this year as he did last. He hasn't even come close to outqualifying Trulli on a regular basis. Also the majority of his points were scored within the first four races of the year, when let's face it is the best time for a mid to back of the grid team to score points. Just ask Webber and Minardi. Since then Trulli has outpointed Button and judging from Monza outraced him also. Button i believe is a decent racer, but IMO just as unproven as Alonso. He needs to do a lot more than just have a decent year after being thoroughly trounced by Fisichella last year, to be truly considered a future WDC.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 Sep 2002, 19:54 (Ref:387542)   #25
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso got into F1 following only 2 races in F3000. Last week he was much slower in testing than the other drivers. However, best of luck