Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Aug 2003, 12:58 (Ref:700633)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting take on NASCAR

I'm not a NA$CAR Fan in any way shape or form. But this article in the Wall Street Journal has a very interesting take on the reason NA$CAR is so popular -- this is a pretty positive article and I thought you guys might enjoy it.

Quote:
Unlike most sports, the culture of Nascar, perhaps even more than the racing itself, is elemental to its success. God and family values permeate. A calendar chock full of weekend races from February to November takes Mother's Day off. The race weekend is an event with the liturgical flavor of a tent revival meeting, with fans coming from great distances and many camping out in RVs.

Ahead of the main event at Bristol, a parachutist lands on the track trailing an enormous American flag. A prayer of invocation is said to reverent silence. Kids from the Motor Racing Outreach ministry youth group sing the national anthem. And Naval fighter jets cap the pre-race festivities with a tight-formation flyover. Flag, God, Military, Racing. It's a Red-State recipe that plays well in post-9/11 America.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110003932
Old 27 Aug 2003, 14:57 (Ref:700752)   #2
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah its all becoming clear to me now. My liking for Nascar stems from my deeply held religious beliefs and my almost saintly lifestyle for a moment there I thought it was down to the exciting wheel to wheel racing, death defying fireball inducing wrecks and pit road brawling. Wot a relief! Seriously though when the Champ cars raced at Brands this year and the old reverend said a few words before the start I did find it strangely moving and I say that as someone who feels uneasy at weddings, christenings and funerals which are the only times I am to be found in the Lord's house. Blimey I think I'm becoming born again!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:51 (Ref:702684)   #3
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen!