Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Aug 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1987413)   #1
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC Snetterton 11/12 Aug

Thanks to everyone for their efforts over the weekend enabling us to get all the races in, despite numerous red flags and more oil than you'll find at your local motor factors!
In amongst the stoppages and clearup we had some great racing, nicely finished off by the final Caterham race where the sight of about a dozen cars scrapping, without falling over each other, from lights to flag, was certainly worth watching; I bet those at Riches and Esses held their breath every time they approached!
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1987433)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Tell me about the ruddy oil, Start Marshall very kindly came round and warned us that the start line had a lot of oil on it but I stll managed to spin under power at the start and nearly take out half the field and nearly post it into the barriers, a heart stopping moment that I tell you. Funny enough the oil to the left of the track was treated but I think they must have left some to the right as I have never had that happen before in a straight line.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1987458)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Thanks to everyone for their efforts over the weekend enabling us to get all the races in, despite numerous red flags and more oil than you'll find at your local motor factors!
In amongst the stoppages and clearup we had some great racing, nicely finished off by the final Caterham race where the sight of about a dozen cars scrapping, without falling over each other, from lights to flag, was certainly worth watching; I bet those at Riches and Esses held their breath every time they approached!
Dave,
after the carnage at riches, after the first Super Graduate race on Sunday , and the fact that we had 9 cars off the circuit on the first lap of their second race, after the rain (no contact, all rejoined), I think we were quite right to hold our breath and.........nothing. Well done to all the guys in the last race, a great end to a great weekend. Well done also to the formula women drivers, especially the first 2, for also keeping us entertained with some great racing.
As for the saloon cars. despite the small grids, in some, there were some great drives, but please try and keep the oil in the engine , it's hard work having to dress an oil slick from the start line the the Esses!!!
And Al, what was that some screen all about on Saturday, is that legal!
Thanks to all in charge and Alex and his guys for all their hard work.

Last edited by White flag man; 13 Aug 2007 at 11:50.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1987471)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah sorry about that, it is all to do with a breather and rocker cover system I was running, I mostly cured it for the race but will invest in some tall covers to 100% cure it next time, actually it was not dropping oil but burning it so at least it kept it off the tarmac even though it may have effected the health of everyone there!
Old 13 Aug 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1987673)   #5
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had best view of esses from "saftey" of the in flag post at bombhole,cound watch the pack from under the bridge, without the "hassle" of writing up what went wrong,.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1987844)   #6
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the guys who pushed me back in after the pre93 race and sorry for not helping... and to Claire for my sudden visit in qualifying.3 seasons without a failure and 2 in one day....
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1988171)   #7
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Thanks for doing the sterling work guys.

One thing, I did notice the post at the 2nd chicane seemed to have no flags.. Are MSV cutting back.....?

Stacy
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1988186)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did they get their doughnuts Stacy, if not they may have walked!
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1988215)   #9
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Did they get their doughnuts Stacy, if not they may have walked!
The marshalls were there, just no flags for them to use.. Resulting in them rushing out to the track side to try and slow a Formula Renault field who were still racing under missed red flags..

Maybe you're right, and they were eaten!

Stacy
Old 14 Aug 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1988236)   #10
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was only there on Saturday but enjoyed my day on Fantasy Island aka Russell In.

It was good to meet you Colin, I'm sorry that your race ended the same way qualifying did, I hope you have more luck next time out!

As for the flags at Russell we are no longer allowed to flag from the main observer point, we flag from Russell in and then the pit entrance. Not sure how soon the drivers are able to see the flag from the in point but I did my best to show it as soon as I could it is a little more difficult when you are on your own but it kept me awake!!
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:06 (Ref:1988271)   #11
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
As for the flags at Russell we are no longer allowed to flag from the main observer point, we flag from Russell in and then the pit entrance. Not sure how soon the drivers are able to see the flag from the in point but I did my best to show it as soon as I could
Hi Claire,

Who decreed that then?

Very bizarre since the flags at Russell-in are not exactly in your line of sight if you are fully committed through Coram, then focussing on your braking for the chicane. The ones afterwards you see once you've got the car sorted and back on full beans up the hill, which does seem to leave a substantial gap.

I was spectating in the FR race and had to say I thought the marshalls were in genuine danger. The guys had not seen the Russell-in flags and were arriving at unabated speed into the chicane where the marshalls were stood on the track edge frantically waving at them to slow.. Fortunately they were clocked in time, but I was not alone amongst the spectating drivers in expressing concern.

Further up the road I can best leave the description of your enthusiastic flagging to one of our team who said "Once they got to the pitwall the marshalls were poking the flags in their eyes!". Top stuff, just as it should be done!

All the best,

Stacy
Old 14 Aug 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1988316)   #12
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy

Who decreed that then?

Very bizarre since the flags at Russell-in are not exactly in your line of sight if you are fully committed through Coram, then focussing on your braking for the chicane. The ones afterwards you see once you've got the car sorted and back on full beans up the hill, which does seem to leave a substantial gap.

Further up the road I can best leave the description of your enthusiastic flagging to one of our team who said "Once they got to the pitwall the marshalls were poking the flags in their eyes!". Top stuff, just as it should be done!

All the best,

Stacy
More than likely MSA

I have observed Russell a couple of times and must admit that I am not entirely happy with the arrangement as the "in post" is high up and not in the eye-line of drivers/riders. The observers post is (IMHO) ideally placed for line of sight for both car and bike (and is used for track days and test days). There used to be a set of flags on the post and I would use them only in extreme cases ie. major multi car on Senna straight/ pit lane entrance. But then I would wrong as it is not a MSA sanctioned flag point. As marshals we have to follow the mandates and regulations passed down whether we agree or disagree with them. If feelings are strong enough It may be worth bring it up with COC or MSA stewards for them to review and advise/revise the situation.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1988454)   #13
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably depends on the cars involved, but after Coram you have a short period of flat out running down the hill while Russells "in" is very clearly in focus apart from the fact that flags at that point are seen against the coloured backdrop of the spectators and the paddock. But, your dead right, we couldn't miss the ones on the exit, and the lights on the startline gantry can be seen from that point anyway and of course you are only going slowly then.
There is something about Snett that leads to FR BARC disgracing itself, it happened last year as well. Prior to last weekend we hadn't had a red flag during a race ( I'm pretty sure ) since Snett last year.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1988457)   #14
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it is dependent on the cars, the FR BARC are that little bit lower than the saloons. As they were coming round Corum I was hanging out of my post as far as I dare waving the yellow due to the stranded car and the red to slow them down, I was worried about the rest of my crew dodging them as they came round Russell! but all passed without incident - well until the next red flag came out
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1988466)   #15
Bob Pearson
Veteran

It was me that was stranded there, we were all behind the barrier when the cars got there again, it looked pretty well under control to me.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1988467)   #16
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowat1
If feelings are strong enough It may be worth bring it up with COC or MSA stewards for them to review and advise/revise the situation.
Good idea. I'll get onto it immediately.

I was watching with Stacy and feared for the marshals on track indicating the FR drivers to slow.
We could see Claire doing her best to reach out as far as possible, but the drivers focus wouldn't be in that direction Bob, as they were in a tight bunch braking heavily for the right turn..

An aside,
Why was the FR race allowed to run after two reds? I thought that it had become common BARC practice to move such races to the end of the day.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1988476)   #17
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Good idea. I'll get onto it immediately.

I was watching with Stacy and feared for the marshals on track indicating the FR drivers to slow.
We could see Claire doing her best to reach out as far as possible, but the drivers focus wouldn't be in that direction Bob, as they were in a tight bunch braking heavily for the right turn..

An aside,
Why was the FR race allowed to run after two reds? I thought that it had become common BARC practice to move such races to the end of the day.
I don't know why the end of the day rule gets waved and whether it is applied at all. As far as I was concerned we had two cars out at that point, scrubbing the race and making a complete re-start would have meant we could have got them both back in ( I think) so you can guess what we wanted.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:39 (Ref:1988637)   #18
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=stacy,

Very bizarre since the flags at Russell-in are not exactly in your line of sight if you are fully committed through Coram, then focussing on your braking for the chicane.]

That might explain how I missed a yellow on Saturday morning.Thought I was going blind.. Cant remember seeing a car off or any of the guys about,but missed something.As Stacy says its blind coming out of Coram and possibly too far over behind the A post in a closed car.Then your focused on getting into Russell.Your possibly more likelly to see the incident first rather than the flag at that corner.Maybe needs someone to actually drive a car round rather than just look at it??
Old 14 Aug 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1989154)   #19
johnw
Veteran

England
I've emailed the MSA. Will post the reply here.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1989160)   #20
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
It probably depends on the cars involved, but after Coram you have a short period of flat out running down the hill while Russells "in" is very clearly in focus
Depends on braking distances Bob. Saloons on treaded tyres are on the brakes a touch before you boys are, so that window of opportunity is substantially reduced.

Even with the FR's it was plain that more than one was still "on it" at the point of turn-in at Russells..

Stacy
Old 15 Aug 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1989573)   #21
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An aside,
The object is to get the next cars racing and continue the programme for the remaining races so that the only race in danger is the rerun race at the end of the day. thats fair but..

The CoC has to be sure ALL the next cars are in the assembly ready to go else we waste more time waiting.

Sure all the next lot SHOULD be there but "are you always in assembly by the time the previous race has been going for a few minutes" " do you ever say 'plenty of time as the current race has just had a (first) red"

I don't envy the clerk in his balancing act re cars not in assembly in time not getting their race VS those having 2 reds not getting their rerun as we are out of time.

IF we had run out of time on Sat (last race did get 18/20 minutes) then I am sure room would have been found on Sunday to repair the situation.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1989576)   #22
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Yes, that's sensible thinking Peter. It's easy for us as we are usually in the garages and so can monitor the progress of the previous race and red flags quite easily, not so easy for people parked in the depths of the paddock.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1989627)   #23
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding
do you ever say "plenty of time as the current race has just had a (first) red"
Good Lord no Peter, we all rush to assembly as soon as we're called.
Old 15 Aug 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1989748)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I do sad isn't it?
Old 16 Aug 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1990015)   #25
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An aside,
I'd emailed BARC about this, but apparantly it's not common practice. It's a TOCA support rule - maybe we should have it. It was my race shortened at the end of the day (without any warning - the chequer just came out early) whilst FRenault got an hour's-plus worth of track time.