Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1595883)   #1
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How Schumacher tricked Alonso to win revenge

This race was a class act. I am simply amazed Flavio & co. fell into the trap.

article text removed: we don't allow posting of copyrighted material. Please provide a link

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 27 Apr 2006 at 03:16.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 03:15 (Ref:1595897)   #2
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ummm not to be a spoil sport or anything, but it was probably more to do with Shmui taking defensive lines while being followed by Alonso. Once Alonso pitted, he could take attacking lines, hence the increase in pace.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 04:45 (Ref:1595921)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
intersting point though, Shumacher did very well, and even when alonso caught up again (i am convinced the brilliant renault is the superior car this year) every mistake FA did the car pulled him out of it and put him back to the Maestro's tail- only to do what mess up again... the car could only recover from his foolhardy bravado so much and schumi sped away with out a bead of sweat showing as he punched the air and hopped on the podium. and FA was drenched and knackered trying to follow- what a show.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1595947)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think most was due to two facts:
- At Imola overtaking is very difficult, to say the least
- Was Alonso really interested at taking a big risk to pass Schumacher? let's not forget that last year tha Spaniard won the WDC more thanks to runner-up finishes than to wins.
His probable reasonig was: "Ok a second place is more than good to me today, with 17 points of gap, losing two from MS is nothing, and in the meantime I gain more on Kimi and Fisi. Thus let's keep behind him and make some pressure from time to time: if he makes some mistakes then good for me, if not, it's good anyways".

In the WDC perspective, Imola's real winner was Alonso, not MS IMO.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1596075)   #5
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was a highly skilled manover,by the ferrari team reacting as they did.
Renault and Alonso had always said they would be happy with 2nd...

It will Be a case to see if ferrari can challenge them on a wider and more challaging track
Old 27 Apr 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1596487)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last year Michael made a much better job of harrying Alonso than Fernando did this year. To be honest his efforts were rather silly as there was only one point where he could even dream of getting by, and he was constantly losing by it braking late. Michael had every move covered and could have stayed in front all night had he needed to.
Full marks to the Pedro for all of his achievements, but he still has a lot to learn. Where better than right behind the Master!!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1596523)   #7
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
What, in your opinion should Schumacher have done in the WDC perspective at Imola to be a real winner....a 'Jerez '97'?

I personally would have loved it if he had tried something horrendous to spice up F1 last Sunday in San Marino! Gerhard Berger in the build up on ITV said he preferred a 'bsatard' racer than a boring one...how true!

I'm quite sure Juan Pablo would have made a fabulous attempt at getting past Michael successful or not...a few years ago in a Williams if you recall, he got past Trulli in the most cheeky-yet-smooth maneouvres at Imola leaving both commentator and Patrick Head later screaming "you cannot do that!!"

This nicety-nicety-F1 drive-for-points is getting to me really...
Old 27 Apr 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1596531)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well I think most was due to two facts:
- At Imola overtaking is very difficult, to say the least
Yes and witness the race in 2005.
Quote:
- Was Alonso really interested at taking a big risk to pass Schumacher? let's not forget that last year tha Spaniard won the WDC more thanks to runner-up finishes than to wins.
I agree to a point. Alonso won as many races as anyone last year. His wins were important as was his consistency.
Was he trying to get past at Imola. Yes and you could see it. He drove in a very ragged manner when behind Schumacher. Ultimately though he didn't risk anything.
Quote:
Michael gained two points on Alonso so no. However "in the WDC perspective" Alonso is the real winner over the first four races. Alonso can afford two points at the moment, but that can't become a trend.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Apr 2006 at 07:20.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 06:17 (Ref:1596699)   #9
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
His probable reasonig was: "Ok a second place is more than good to me today, with 17 points of gap, losing two from MS is nothing, and in the meantime I gain more on Kimi and Fisi. Thus let's keep behind him and make some pressure from time to time: if he makes some mistakes then good for me, if not, it's good anyways".
Alonso wanted that race, that I promise you! He was trying and giving it his all!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:17 (Ref:1596756)   #10
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was the last race of the year and he had to, he would have tried to pass. He didn't need to risk, he had 8 points to lose and 2 points to gain. And as we saw last year Alonso and Renault are not the combination who will forget about points just to win a race. They're going for the title not the race, which is the correct approach in my opinion.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1596761)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If it was the last race of the year and he had to, he would have tried to pass. He didn't need to risk, he had 8 points to lose and 2 points to gain.
This is why the points gaps should be increased.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1596891)   #12
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was actually 4 points.

If Alonso had passed MS he'd have scored 10 to MSs 8.

Whereas MS scored 10 to Alonso's 8.

ie MS would have fallen 4 points further behind.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1596904)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point, but it is still half the difference than a 10-6... system. In addition there is another out come. Crash and then at best both score none and lose out to everyone else.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1596907)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by downforce
What, in your opinion should Schumacher have done in the WDC perspective at Imola to be a real winner....a 'Jerez '97'?
I
He should have made at least 10 more points in the previous races
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1596910)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
... Alonso won as many races as anyone last year....
err Kimi should have won the same number of races (7) if I'm not wrong, thus his runner-ups did make the difference

Quote:
Was he trying to get past at Imola. Yes and you could see it. He drove in a very ragged manner when behind Schumacher. Ultimately though he didn't risk anything.
Yes he just tried and push MS to made a mistake but never risked to get out of the races to gain a position.

Quote:
... Michael gained two points on Alonso so no. However "in the WDC perspective" Alonso is the real winner over the first four races. Alonso can afford two points at the moment, but that can't become a trend.
well with such a trend MS should win further 8 races in a row to become WDC leader, which is less than likely; Then I think Alonso could afford this trend without any problem.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1596911)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
Alonso wanted that race, that I promise you! ...
Hein, how can you be sosure about that?
Are you sure you come from southAfrica?
Old 28 Apr 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1596917)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
err Kimi should have won the same number of races (7) if I'm not wrong, thus his runner-ups did make the difference
Which is what I said.
Quote:
Yes he just tried and push MS to made a mistake but never risked to get out of the races to gain a position.
Although he made plenty of mistakes - a couple of which nearly put him off the road. They just didn't happen in a lunge. The best example being one in Rivazza. Now that wasn't totally safe and conservatively driving for points.
Quote:
well with such a trend MS should win further 8 races in a row to become WDC leader, which is less than likely; Then I think Alonso could afford this trend without any problem.
So for that one race Michael had the best for the championship. For the trend of all the races and the potential future races Alonso is having the best. As we look at it now it is unlikely even if Michael scored 10 to Alonso 0 that Michael would win overall. If we were nearer the end of the season and Michael needed more than 2 points per race then I would fully agree. It isn't a problem for Alonso for the reasons you say, but Michael did better in the championship than Fernando. This is a dull point really.

Still that is pretty much what you say. So I'm going to call that close enough to agreement.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Apr 2006 at 12:57.