Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Oct 2002, 20:48 (Ref:407491)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting library finds...

I went to the library downtown today, and made a few interesting finds. A 1954 book called "The LeMans Story"... Very unique, very in-depth writing about the races of 1954 and earlier. Excerpts from the journals of some reporters and drivers of the times, and some wonderfully preserved archival photos on glossy paper in between the old yellowed newsprint. I'll have to scan a few and put them up here.

Secondly, a 50-minute documentary film of the 1980 LeMans 24, focused on Allan Moffat and his teammates at Dick Barbour Racing that year. Excellent footage, and the video's aged very well.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 04:34 (Ref:409898)   #2
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee

I am very interested in the contents of the 1980 Le Mans video concerning Allan Moffat. I'm in Australia, so getting a copy of the video is out of the question, but can I trouble you to expand on these race details for me?:

"The Barbour car was competitive to a point, having been updated several times since being built in 1977. It had finished second the previous year driven by Paul Newman, Rolf Stommolen and Barbour, but it was the number two car in the team. Earlier in the year Bobby Rahal and Bob Garretson had used it to finish second in the Riverside 6-Hours. Allan was to join Rahal and Garretson, while John Fitzpatrick, Brian Redman and Barbour had the use of a new Kremer car. Fitzpatrick qualified on pole, while Rahal had the Moffat car fifteenth fastest. Allan had his first actual drive of the beast in the darkness and in the rain.

For the race itself, Allan had helped push the car up as high as fourth outright but they were eventually sidelined with a burnt piston. Nevertheless his first drive at Le Mans had been an experience to remember."

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Beejay17; 22 Oct 2002 at 04:36.