Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:45 (Ref:1876366)   #1
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
It's Time To Go ... Cps

Yes, I've always been an opponent of these ridiculous connived things but Barbagallo showed conclusively that CPS's in sprint races are a joke...

1. Why should a driver who has fought hard for 20 odd laps to gain 1/2 a second lose it all (and more) because he has to wait for someone else to trundle past at 40kmh? Then he comes back out and has lost 5 or 6 places. It should not be "Luck of the draw" - it should be driver skill.

2. You can bump into another car at anywhere from 60 kmh to 200 kmh on the track and not get any penalty if your opponent is not speared off. Yet if you have the minutest touch in pit lane at 40kmh and have your entire round ruined. What sort of lunacy is this???
I havent seen anyone fired into a fence from a pit lane touch yet ... it's madness. Even in the enduros, if you touch another car in pit lane you should be given the option to yield that place.

3. Can anybody give me an argument how this has helped the racing (or even the "entertainment") ... AT ALL? It seems to spread the field out if anything, confuses the fans and makes for boring television.

Lets remove the lottery or, if you want to go the whole NASCAR hog, make the pit lanes 3 wide so that everybody can enter/exit in position.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:51 (Ref:1876369)   #2
Chronicle
Racer

Chronicle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Lets remove the lottery or, if you want to go the whole NASCAR hog, make the pit lanes 3 wide so that everybody can enter/exit in position.
You mean just like Winton's?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:02 (Ref:1876371)   #3
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good example being Richo as well on the weekend too, stuffed his weekend with the CPS.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:16 (Ref:1876377)   #4
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Yes, I've always been an opponent of these ridiculous connived things but Barbagallo showed conclusively that CPS's in sprint races are a joke...

1. Why should a driver who has fought hard for 20 odd laps to gain 1/2 a second lose it all (and more) because he has to wait for someone else to trundle past at 40kmh? Then he comes back out and has lost 5 or 6 places. It should not be "Luck of the draw" - it should be driver skill.

2. You can bump into another car at anywhere from 60 kmh to 200 kmh on the track and not get any penalty if your opponent is not speared off. Yet if you have the minutest touch in pit lane at 40kmh and have your entire round ruined. What sort of lunacy is this???
I havent seen anyone fired into a fence from a pit lane touch yet ... it's madness. Even in the enduros, if you touch another car in pit lane you should be given the option to yield that place.

3. Can anybody give me an argument how this has helped the racing (or even the "entertainment") ... AT ALL? It seems to spread the field out if anything, confuses the fans and makes for boring television.

While I agree with you about CPS, I do not agree with you about the touches in pit lane. Sure, you may not have seen a car speared into a wall, but lets just say that a bit of argy bargy goes over the top. They may not spear into the wall, they may spear into a pit crew...

Which brings up another issue all together. With this day & age of OH&S, why do we still persist with live pit lanes with personelle left right & center all over the bloody thing. I used to think that the lanes they used in the US were a joke. Now I think all pit lanes should be like this. All team members to remain the safe side of the wall, until the car pulls into the pit & then only should they be allowed to service the car. (But then again, them "mericans still manage to run over there pit crew too regularly).
Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:47 (Ref:1876383)   #5
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently motor racing is a team sport. Brings in more than just driver skill. The team build the car you drive, so i guess its just another way of incorperating the team into the race.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 04:38 (Ref:1876403)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cps is crap and allwe need to get rid of them is more grip and a harder compound to make them last longer, it should come down to driver ability.

i say get rid of cps and make it pit if you want/need to.

but like hoffy i have to disagree about the bumping in pitlane because of the pitcrew so i think the pitlane penity for an unsafe entry/exit or touching is neccesary.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 04:43 (Ref:1876406)   #7
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the pits stops. Give them a tyre that is only good for about 75% of the race so we can see some tactics in regards to tyre managment come into play.
The TV was on in the backround on saturday whilst i was working on a 12hr car and I only looked up at the screen a couple of times during the whole race.I dont think I missed much.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 26 Mar 2007, 05:04 (Ref:1876417)   #8
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
Get rid of the pits stops. Give them a tyre that is only good for about 75% of the race so we can see some tactics in regards to tyre managment come into play.
The TV was on in the backround on saturday whilst i was working on a 12hr car and I only looked up at the screen a couple of times during the whole race.I dont think I missed much.
Or better still, give them a choice of 3 compounds and let them decide whether they want to stop.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 06:03 (Ref:1876429)   #9
Fireball
Rookie

Australia
Thomastown
Fireball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must agree with Stealthy...
Its a team sport now, gives the pit crew more involvement, makes them more professional, same for everybody.
The crew need to be strong & fit now…its all good, leave as is
Old 26 Mar 2007, 06:48 (Ref:1876439)   #10
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought it was supposed to be a drivers championship, not "the fastest rattleguns in the west".
Get rid of them, a good driver can be let down by a faulty gun or even nut, how does that prove who the best driver in the land is ???????????????
Old 26 Mar 2007, 06:55 (Ref:1876442)   #11
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
I thought it was supposed to be a drivers championship, not "the fastest rattleguns in the west".
Get rid of them, a good driver can be let down by a faulty gun or even nut, how does that prove who the best driver in the land is ???????????????
As i said, its a team sport. If it wasn't, you'd just have a driver driving, and nothing more, no crew anylising data, no spares for when the car is wrecked (unless Tanders gonna bolt the panels on himself, remember, no team)

Fact is, its a TEAM sport, nothing less. If you want CPSs gone, why not get rid of all the crew aswell, as they (in a perfect world with no CPSs) wont be needed anymore.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1876480)   #12
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
As i said, its a team sport. If it wasn't, you'd just have a driver driving, and nothing more, no crew anylising data, no spares for when the car is wrecked (unless Tanders gonna bolt the panels on himself, remember, no team)

Fact is, its a TEAM sport, nothing less. If you want CPSs gone, why not get rid of all the crew aswell, as they (in a perfect world with no CPSs) wont be needed anymore.
What a load of rubbish. The team is more than 4 guys changing wheels.

The team includes everyone who build and maintain the cars, as well as looking after the drivers.

Last edited by dsg; 26 Mar 2007 at 08:03.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1876581)   #13
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
What a load of rubbish. The team is more than 4 guys changing wheels.

The team includes everyone who build and maintain the cars, as well as looking after the drivers.
I kinda think you missed my point. My point is it IS a team sport, and they all should be included.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1876590)   #14
falcon58
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
falcon58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, they should have two speed lanes insted of one (example drivers entering pits stay on the outside lane and then merge to the inside lane to enter their pit bay when safe, and drivers when exiting pit bay use the inside lane and then merge to the outside lane when safe), it would make entering and exiting alot safer and drivers would not get held up as much...
Old 26 Mar 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1876607)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
will you be in the car for the 12hr at Bathurst, or are you just a mechanic? hope your car gets good resaults anyway.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1876627)   #16
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
I kinda think you missed my point. My point is it IS a team sport, and they all should be included.
Let me try again. The team are already included whether they have pit stops or not. Getting the car on the grid is a team effort.

Making someone take a pit stop when they don't need to is stupid.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1876710)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Let me try again. The team are already included whether they have pit stops or not. Getting the car on the grid is a team effort.

Making someone take a pit stop when they don't need to is stupid.
Indeed it is STUPID ... imagine the Olympic 5000 metres final and every runner has to stop at some stage and have his spikes changed by his coach. Then he must only re-enter the track when it is totally clear ... inane.

Our sport is run by totally illogical bozos!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1877070)   #18
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ironic thing is that the CPS was only bought in to stop runaway victories and keep the crowd interested.

And guess what?

We had a runaway victory and a disinterested crowd...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 26 Mar 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1877205)   #19
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SOme valid points posted. Gone are the days of , owner,driver,car builder. Hence a team of people put a car on the track.

As for entering and exiting the pits, On what race track could you possibly set up two lanes, to accomondate 32 cars?

As I have said before elsewhere, pathways painted black with some lines.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 23:40 (Ref:1877227)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the pit stops are fine, but it needs to count. Softer compound tyres with OPEN pit strategy.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1878469)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the majority, contrived pitstops are a joke.

I've always wondered how seeing someone get overtaken in a pitstop is exciting?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1879147)   #22
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Change the race formats then to something like a 20 lap "heat" then an 100 lap semi enduro. You would need pit stops for fuel and tyres then. The fans will get to see a lot of mixed battles and pit stops, safety cars etc will come on as tyres fade and drivers make mistakes.

I'd rather watch a 250-300 km race than 3 piddly little 35 lappers. I guess we would see a bit more carnage along the way, but the survival of the fittest would provide worthy winners for both car strength and strategy each round.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1879176)   #23
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could always change em to run on Methonal....Pits stops? You want pit stops?

I agree, the average race needs to be around the 90 minute mark. Leaves enough time to have some drama (such as a fast car gaining or a leading car slowing), but obviously without CPS
Old 31 Mar 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1880298)   #24
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with soft tyres, make them much softer, and if a driver wants to pit for new ones (and will be faster on track) he can, or if someone wants to stay out (will be slower on track), brings in some ACTUAL strategy, and differences in the cars tyre performance will bring overtaking. Even without pitstops softer tyres would help things IMO.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 31 Mar 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1880406)   #25
Bigem
Rookie

Bigem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't like the CPS's myself either, but can you imagine how far in front the TWPG cars would have been without some way of throwing a wobbly into them by a possible pit-stop blunder! How it was it was the second most boring round of races since China!! If they are going to have pitstops, make the races all 300ks long, and worthwhile!