Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Who belongs in Touring (as many as you like)
James Kaye 10 35.71%
Gavin Pyper 14 50.00%
Norman Simon 5 17.86%
Tom Boardman 7 25.00%
Mark Fullalove 2 7.14%
Spencer Marsh 5 17.86%
Jim Edwards Jr 11 39.29%
Alan Blencowe 2 7.14%
Rob Collard 2 7.14%
Someone else (please name) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Jul 2002, 10:55 (Ref:346179)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which production drivers deserve a Touring Class Place

Most people will probably agree that, with Harrison, Moen, Jackson and Graves MIA and O'Neill and Howell in the touring class, the field isn't as strong as last year. But there is some talent in BTC-P

So my question is, which of these drivers do you think deserve a placve in the 17 car Touring field more than some of the current drivers?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:09 (Ref:346282)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think just about all the guys in the Touring class deserve their seats, all are doing a fairly good job with the equipment they have got.

As for the most talented BTC-P driver, if i had to choose one, probably Norman Simon, but close behind are Boardman, Pyper and Kaye.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:11 (Ref:346286)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
James Kaye with Works Honda
Gavin Pyper & Alan Blencowe with works Alfa Romeo
Old 30 Jul 2002, 15:49 (Ref:346430)   #4
SolemHill
Rookie

SolemHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boardman deserves to goto Touring class, would liven up another season for muller...something \ someone else to complain about.....when will that car get him home???

other than that I think Mr Pyper deserves a bash, damn fine driver
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:39 (Ref:346554)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon we will see Tom B in touring cars and maybe with Simon along side him.

Couldn't understand why Kaye is in proddies this year - obviously doesn't want to go up.

Jim - def. want Jim in there.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:31 (Ref:346589)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Boardman in the Touring Class, now THAT would be entertaining! I'd say all the drivers deserve a move up.

I think James says in his Autosport.com interview that what Synchro and himself do next year is up to Honda Motor Europe, and from my memory I think he also said something about Accords being built for BTCC and/or ETCC.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:53 (Ref:346608)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Kaye was offered the Barwell seat but decided to go with Synchro instead. He's had connections with Honda for years and it was Honda Europe who asked him to get involved.

Never mind Tom B in a Tourer, at Snetterton he was talking about wanting a go in one of the Historic Group C monsters
Old 30 Jul 2002, 20:21 (Ref:346626)   #8
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

Never mind Tom B in a Tourer, at Snetterton he was talking about wanting a go in one of the Historic Group C monsters
And he was confident/cocky (delete where applicable) to say that he could handle one and bring it back in one piece!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 21:23 (Ref:346675)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gavin pyper. badly. he spanked everyone during the first race on sunday, showing what a god he is. althpugh it remains to be seen if he's always damn good, or whether he's a bit occasional like the car...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 21:41 (Ref:346689)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please someone keep Tom Boardman away from the Group C Historics. Bodyshells for BMW 3-series are fairly easy to come by...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 21:46 (Ref:346691)   #11
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think any of the drivers on the list would be OK is BTCC Touring!!
Old 31 Jul 2002, 10:03 (Ref:347002)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not so sure that all've these guys could do it in Touring. Kaye could, but he's winning the series in a vastly superior car, and with much more experience than anyone else. Boardman is getting there, but he could probbably still do with another year in Production, he still crashes a bit too often, same for Fullalove. I'm surprised Simon has only had 2 votes, he's taken great results considering that he doesn't know the cars or the tracks. Pyper I'd agree with, and Spencer Marsh has to be a contender. I think the B&Q bias has led to excess votes for Jim, although he certainly could do it, so could Rob Collard in my opinion.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 10:38 (Ref:347022)   #13
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm surprised Simon has only had 2 votes.

I think he's a good driver. Whether he'd be any good in a front wheel drive car though....

Last edited by Vatanen; 31 Jul 2002 at 10:41.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 17:30 (Ref:347281)   #14
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A thought to add to this discussion, I was speaking to a very experienced driver, with Touring car experience at the top level, he believes that only 3 drivers in the production class are getting the maximum performance fron the cars.

The three he said???

Norman Simon, James Kaye and Gavin Piper.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 20:00 (Ref:347356)   #15
Mocko
Rookie

Mocko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pyper maybe needs a touch more experience, I think, to get the hunger for Touring and the confidence. In my opinion he'll need to achieve more in Production, as with Boardman.

With whatwe've seen with Pyper being able to match Kaye, I don't know if Kaye, Blencowe or Saunders could make the grade in Touring as a real good drivers. Pyper is catching Kaye in relevant sub-standard machinery.

Someone who I want to see is Shedden. Pole and a win at Knockhill last year in a substandard Ford. Got to count for something.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 20:16 (Ref:347365)   #16
Tim Harvey Fan
Racer

Tim Harvey Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone really deserves a BTCC touring ride it is Roger Moen...what is he up to now anyway?
Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:11 (Ref:347439)   #17
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the likes of James Kaye and Simon Harrison IMO don't get the seats because of the 95/6 BTCC seasons with works teams. Teams may think the same will happen again. They are also a bit older and young drivers are getting the seats.

Pyper should be in a Touring seat i think he deserves it. maybe he could calm down his racing a bit but at least he is fun to watch!
Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:16 (Ref:347442)   #18
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point I agree about Rob Collard hes obvisouly quick but could do with something more reliable than the Renault. Perhaps collard should replace a certian mr Bennett before the season is over.
Good idea?