Old 2 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:891256)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farewell Tiago Monteiro

http://w3.flagworld.com/en/news/inde...py?artid=21729

Tiago Monteiro (2003 CART driver for Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing) to dispute the 2004 season in World Series by Nissan for Carlin Motorsport and to be the third driver for Minardi F1.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 14:56 (Ref:891295)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With there being no guarantee of Emerson being able to enter a car this eyar, and every chance that he would require a driver bringing funding, Tiago has probably made the right decision. His contract is rumoured to include a clause that he could take over from Baumgartner based on performance, so it could get him into the race seat
Old 2 Mar 2004, 16:55 (Ref:891429)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a shame. 2003 brought in a lot of new talent. Tiago was a bit outclassed by his rookie rivals, but then again he was on a 1 car team. I'm a firm believer that rookies need to be given some time to develop, so who knows what he could have done in 2004 or 2005.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:20 (Ref:891454)   #4
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wish him well...and I'm sure Liz does, too.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:49 (Ref:891479)   #5
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's too bad. I thought he did fairly well for what he had to work with. Good luck to him.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 18:22 (Ref:891508)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck, Minardi has launched a few drivers careers, he could be another one
Old 2 Mar 2004, 18:33 (Ref:891521)   #7
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Tom Coronel is Minardi's 3rd driver?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 2 Mar 2004, 18:33 (Ref:891523)   #8
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if it's true.

Belgian sites have just confirmed that Bas Leinders will be Minardi's test driver. (and italiaracing.net as well)
Old 2 Mar 2004, 18:35 (Ref:891525)   #9
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Tiago Monteiro (2003 CART driver for Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing) to dispute the 2004 season in World Series by Nissan for Carlin Motorsport and to be the third driver for Minardi F1.
OH NO. Not My BOY!!

I'm e mailing him now There goes my lunch date in Long Beach!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 19:21 (Ref:891570)   #10
suzmac
Racer

United States
Cleveland, Ohio
suzmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
OH NO. Not My BOY!!

I'm e mailing him now There goes my lunch date in Long Beach!!
I knew you wouldn't like this Mags!!! Now we have to find a new "recruit"!!

Sue
Old 2 Mar 2004, 19:57 (Ref:891627)   #11
Mags
Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by suzmac
I knew you wouldn't like this Mags!!! Now we have to find a new "recruit"!!

Sue
I'm CRUSHED!! But, now I have a driver in F1!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 20:35 (Ref:891661)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Mags,
I don't want to bring you down anymore, but here are Minardi's Drivers & Test Drivers for this year and I don't see Tiago's name anywhere....From Minardi's official website: http://www.minardi.it/eng/team/piloti/default.asp#test
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:01 (Ref:891682)   #13
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hey Mags,
I don't want to bring you down anymore, but here are Minardi's Drivers & Test Drivers for this year and I don't see Tiago's name anywhere....From Minardi's official website: http://www.minardi.it/eng/team/piloti/default.asp#test
Well, I have an e mail in to him, so we shall know soon enough!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:13 (Ref:891796)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's definitely racing in Dallara Nissan though.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:17 (Ref:891988)   #15
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
With there being no guarantee of Emerson being able to enter a car this eyar, and every chance that he would require a driver bringing funding, Tiago has probably made the right decision. His contract is rumoured to include a clause that he could take over from Baumgartner based on performance, so it could get him into the race seat
Emmo is still planning on a two car team this year... maybe the second car will kick in later on, but one entry is for certain - that is MIKA SALO ?!?!... the other ride will go either to Gaston Mazzacane or Pedro Lamy ?!

zerO
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:21 (Ref:891991)   #16
zerO
Veteran

Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov

That story is BS just as MarkC's kaka at AR1 - Bas Leinders was just signed on by Minardi as a third driver and Tiago Monteiro went to Carlin of the Superfund Nissan World Series (aka Formula Nissan) ?!

zerO
Old 3 Mar 2004, 06:54 (Ref:892066)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i thought emmo was running 2 cars in 2004
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:06 (Ref:892167)   #18
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
That story is BS just as MarkC's kaka at AR1 - Bas Leinders was just signed on by Minardi as a third driver and Tiago Monteiro went to Carlin of the Superfund Nissan World Series (aka Formula Nissan) ?!

zerO
Tiago Monteiro signs for Minardi
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:25 (Ref:892184)   #19
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We believe that Tiago, and fellow tester, Bas Leinders, will be able to help us achieve our goals in this area"

Racing in Nissan, testing F1 seems like a good move for him, i wish him well.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:44 (Ref:892201)   #20
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiago has signed for minardi

Tiago has signed for minardi for this year
Found this on www.autosport.com

In a separate deal, former Champ Car racer Tiago Monteiro has also signed up as a Minardi test driver. The 27-year-old, from Oporto, Portugal, will assist the team with its test and development programme in the course of the year, dovetailing these commitments with a full season competing in the Dallara Nissan World Series, where he will drive for Carlin Motorsport.

Cheers from down under!!

Last edited by Aus.CARTfan; 3 Mar 2004 at 10:47.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 14:22 (Ref:892404)   #21
zerO
Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Farewell Tiago Monteiro

Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Tiago Monteiro signs for Minardi
whooptydo... so he'll do two or three test runs for Minardi this year - Leinders is The Tester and the 3rd driver - Monteiro will race in Formula Nssan full time ?!... why is it so difficult for some to understand these things ?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 3 Mar 2004 at 14:24.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:05 (Ref:892539)   #22
Mags
Veteran

Official Press realease from FAI GT

MONTEIRO APPOINTED MINARDI TEST DRIVER

and will compete in the World Series Nissan with Carlin Motorsport

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, March 3, 2004 – The Minardi Cosworth Team is today pleased to announce it has signed Tiago Monteiro as an official test driver for the 2004 season. As such, the 27-year-old, from Portugal, will assist the team with its test and development programme in the course of the year, “dovetailing” these commitments with a full season competing in the World Series, where he will be driving for the highly regarded Carlin Motorsport organisation. He will not take part in Friday test sessions during Formula One weekends.

Monteiro has certainly not trodden an “accepted” route to the top levels of motor racing, having started his career in 1997, in the French Porsche Carrera Cup, after being inspired by his father, was also a competitor in the series. Since then, Monteiro has raced successfully in a wide variety of categories, including the French F3 Championship, French GT Championship, Andros Trophy (ice racing), and FIA International F3000 Championship, while also competing in a number of significant one-off events, such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Macau Grand Prix, Korea Super Prix and Marlboro Masters. In 2003, he joined Fittipaldi Dingman Racing for a season in the hard-fought Champ Car World Series, once again proving himself to be both versatile and highly competitive, having achieving a Pole Position in Mexico City and having leading the St. Petersbourg and Mid-Ohio races.

“We're very pleased to have signed Tiago as a test driver,” says Minardi Cosworth Team Principal, Paul Stoddart. “It is precisely because of his extensive motor racing experience, and his obvious adaptability to widely differing types of machinery, that we felt he could be of real assistance to us in developing the Minardi Cosworth PS04B this year. The new car has shown distinct promise in pre-season testing, but we are very aware that nothing in F1 stands still – we need to have a solid test programme in place in order to work on steadily improving the new chassis. We believe that Tiago, and fellow tester, Bas Leinders, will be able to help us achieve our goals in this area.”

“I am truly pleased for having been chosen as an Official F1 Test Driver for Minardi, which will give me the opportunity to participate in the development of the new car. I will certainly take the most out of this opportunity, evolving the car and, as a driver being a close observer of Formula 1 cutting edge technology, during the 2004 season. I consider this occasion to be of paramount importance for me and for Portugal, which has once again a foot in the F1 world”, explained Tiago Monteiro. “Along with the F1, being able to participate in the World Series by Nissan, in such a renowned Team as Carlin, is a great honour for me. I have the opportunity to come back to Europe and join a Team that will be fighting for a top spot. I want to thank Paul Stoddart (Minardi) and Trevor Carlin (Carlin Motorsport) for this opportunity, and also my partners Santogal, Brose, Iberotel, Cheers, Brisa and Elf for their support.”