Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:19 (Ref:871396)   #1
Michael McDowel
Rookie

Michael McDowel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McDowell Faces Sitting Out 2004

McDowell Might Be Forced to Sit Out 2004

Michael McDowell, following current politician’s lead, is putting together a grassroots effort to secure the necessary funding for his 2004 Pro Formula Mazda effort. After a very successful season in the 2003 Star Mazda Pro series, in which he ended up Rookie of Year and Runner-Up, he is now facing the possibility of sitting out 2004.

McDowell has been working day and night to put together a successful program for the past year but has come up short. It is now the eleventh hour for McDowell and he is reaching out to all of his past and present sponsors and supporters. The goal is to raise $100,000 by February 20th.

People can contribute by visiting mmcdowell.com and donating with their Master Card or Visa. Everyone who contributes will be given mention on McDowell’s web site and people who give $5,000 or more will receive a spot on the Star Race Cars Formula Mazda and chance to come out to the world famous Bob Bondurant School and do some driving.

McDowell, with the help of the Bondurant Super Karts Schools, will be able to put on a fun event for his sponsors with food drinks and the grand finale, a race in the Bondurant Super Karts.

For more information please visit Michael’s web site or contact him directly by phone or email.

Michael McDowell
www.mmcdowell.com
michael@mmcdowell.com
Cell 602.738.7584
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:26 (Ref:871403)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can raise $100k in a week, you should stay out of racing and go into real business.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:32 (Ref:871406)   #3
Michael McDowel
Rookie

Michael McDowel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,
Today was very successfull raising $12,000. Don't forget this is not something I just threw together in a week I have been networking my whole career. This is way for all the people that have wanted to help but haven't to be able to step up and support my carrer. Check out www.mmcdowell.com for more details.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:42 (Ref:871412)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Mazda?? Dont mean to be rude but I've only ever seen the car at Van Diemen's. What the publicity like, TV etc?? What made you choose it over more traditional routes in US or Europe??
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:43 (Ref:871414)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Mazda is probably the best single seater championship in the US. Renault looked like it would take over going into 04, but they made such a mess of 03 they've had to start over. Plus they have the ALMS support bill. Neat racing (with the old cars), they slid around a hell of a lot
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:46 (Ref:871415)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go on im interested Ross, Ive not really heard anything about it over here. What drivers have done it in the past??
Old 12 Feb 2004, 02:20 (Ref:871427)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

No one of note, I could name some atlantic guys but I dont know if your eyes would light up. Problem is the 200k you need for F2000 or Mazdas, then the jump to the million dollar Atlantic teams.

The old car was a mazda rotary engine in a reliable and stury tube frame car with wings. Interesting tire. Instead of getting say, Ford 1600 sideways and drifting around a corner, they look more like rally cars onboard with the driver constantly working the wheel through just a bit of opposite lock and neutral steering. Like they're going around the corner attached to a rubber band at the center. Fun to watch, pretty good racing.

We basically had Formula 2000, Mazdas, and Barber Dodge Pro. All providing similar lap times at a similar cost, Barber Dodge having the benefit of being an FPA stye arrive-and-drive and a better CART linkup. Mazda tended to have more amateur racers at teh back of their rather large grid, because thre were some regional/club championships for Mazda, similar to F2000 having its club equivalent in Formua Continental.

They all were in a joint tie for the same spot. Then Renault came in for 03 and killed themselves off,and barber Dodge pro is out for 04 (and hopes to be back in 05). So we're really left right now with USF2000, the new carbon van diemen Mazdas, and whatever Renault salvage.

btw is it just me or does the VD Mazda look like a tweaked FPA car with smaller tires?

http://www.starmazda.com/results/200...al/index1.html

Those are some shots of the previous generation car.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:08 (Ref:876395)   #8
b.luther
Rookie

b.luther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck to you Michael, as you continue your not so easy search for the holy sponsorship...

p.s. great job last year I remember watching a few races.

PEACE
Old 23 Feb 2004, 22:27 (Ref:883334)   #9
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MM You looked good on the World Motorsport Show on Sky TV in the UK tonight so good luck with the sponsorsip search.