Official: Bridgestone for 2008-2010

Not really a suprise...

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press...050706-01.html
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1648939)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I would think that slicks would be on the cards for next year.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1648948)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Also,Microsoft MES are to be official ECU supplier.http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17087.html
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1648964)   #4
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Microsoft
Uh oh...

Last edited by KevinS; 5 Jul 2006 at 15:46.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1648979)   #5
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or....

Old 5 Jul 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1648986)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom

To switch off your engine click on start.

Let's hope Bill Gates doesn't get too involved.http://www.musclecarclub.com/humor/h...ve.shtml#gates

Last edited by Marbot; 5 Jul 2006 at 16:28.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1649012)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a good one !

OH, and 2007 Bridgestone will be sole supplier due to absence of "others" suppliers...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1649013)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure why you have quoted a word that wasn't used, Bon, but, yes, it rather confirms no Michelin for 2007.

Btw, martyn, the original link of this thread tells us about the Microsoft MES supplying ECU's.

Anyway, as to the subject at hand: no surprise at all.

As has been said, all that waits to be seen is whether or not we'll see slicks come in for '07.

Last edited by Dutton; 5 Jul 2006 at 17:11.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1649015)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
As has been said, all that waits to be seen is whether or not we'll see slicks come in for '07.
And I guess they won't come.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1649020)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am not sure.

It would remove one level of *****ing and moaning about Ferrari getting golden rubber (note that none of the other Bridgestone runners would gain an advantage...).

It could be introduced if there is adequate agreement, but, well, we all know how tricky that can be.

I am not worried either way; however, some others wil be.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1649034)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Taken from the ITV-F1 site...

"In addition, the World Council agreed to consult with F1’s Technical Working Group to devise ways of reducing cornering speeds, which have risen sharply this year due to advances in aerodynamics and tyre technology..."

Now for the sake of almighty, attack the aero and not the tyres this time!!!

Knowing the FIA and the TWG we will get a 5th groove in the tyres, woopee, I wonder how long it will take them to come up with that plan... etc etc.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1649060)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's more likely than a complete change to slicks, now having only one supplier and being Bridgestone, they can argue that they won't have time or resources to change it for the next season.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1649085)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

Btw, martyn, the original link of this thread tells us about the Microsoft MES supplying ECU's.
Yes i know,just thought i'd bring it out into the open a bit more.

Can't really see why Bridgestone would continue with the grooves.It would obviously help Ferrari if they did and we'd just get loads of conspiracy theory threads.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1649088)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That's more likely than a complete change to slicks, now having only one supplier and being Bridgestone, they can argue that they won't have time or resources to change it for the next season.
Surely they'll have some left over from 97.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1649112)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Surely they'll have some left over from 97.
They want to look at 1992 for tyre inspiration...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1649128)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1972?

I am disappointed with all this, but it has all been said before so I won't go on about it.

Let us hope that they don't go boring and safe. Make a tyre that needs looking after by the teams and drivers.

As for the ECU. Again disappointing, but if it gets rid of TC (etc...) then maybe it is a necessary evil. Evil it is though. Standard parts? boo....
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1649156)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ECU I am in favour of as it has been said this will get rid of driver aids. And that would be magnificent.

Tyres. It's a silly idea really, as F1 is no doubt doomed to run on granite compounds now.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1649164)   #18
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first instinct on the tyre thing is that its a big edge for Ferrari at least at the start of the season.

Seems to me the competitive Michellin teams (Renault, McLaren, ???) will have a lot of work to do the get their cars to work with their new suppliers.

Plus, Ferrari and Bridgestone are *cough* *cough* 'very close friends'. Not that I would imply that Ferrari would do anything to pressure Bridgestone to give them any kind of preferential treatment. I would never imply that. Never.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1649166)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I still think it would be cool if we had like 5 manufacturers, and the teams could take any compound of any brand at any point in the weekend.

I guess the one thing with getting rid of the tyre war is the removal of tyre testing. This will supposedly reduce the testing load...although, tbh, I would think they will just test other stuff instead.

I am fortunate, I guess, in that I like both tyre wars and single suppliers (different pros and cons), so either way I am happy enough.

Regarding Ferrari preferential treatment:

If Bridgestone are providing every car of the field, then what does it matter to them who wins the race? What about the other Bridgestone teams, in the aftermath of the switch, do they not get an advantage over Michelin runners?

Actually, nevermind, yes, absolutely, it is all a conspiracy to help Ferrari (oh, wait, no, the tyre war was...)...

Last edited by Dutton; 5 Jul 2006 at 21:30.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1649167)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that is a forlorn fear.

The team that does the best job with the tyres will win. Bridgestone are guaranteed to win, so I assume they won't care which team does it for them.

As for getting rid of tyre testing.....well, there will still be some tyre testing for various reasons. And when they aren't testing tyres, they will test aero parts.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1649189)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Ferrari/Bridgestone fear is unfounded. It is easy to make the connection, but ultimately has no credence.

There may well be an advantage at first because they work with them now, but I feel some of this may be logistical rather than knowledge of the tyre. The tyre is likely to be quite different. Beside as time moves on then any initial advantage will reduce as everyone gets used to it.

Then there is the suggestion that Bridgestone will somehow favour them by giving them better tyres. This is false. The tyres will be allocated randomly and compounds checked.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1649198)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ah, Adam, you forget that it is the FIA randomly (rather, "randomly") allocating the tyres.

It is a rather big mover and shaker in the Grand Conspiracy.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1649265)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I'm sure that the ECU's will still allow for remapping etc and will also allow the driver to play X-box games whilst waiting in the garage during qually.

Not be too long now before the tyres are just those "round black things".
Old 5 Jul 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1649267)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Don't get your hopes up...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1649272)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
There could be an argument that maximising your tyres is going to be more important than ever: if you do it better than your opponents, then you have this advantage over EVERYONE.

There will be no differences between manufacturers (duh!), but also no inter-team compound variations (beyond the hard/soft option).

Also, tyres is just one part of the puzzle. Those who are expecting it to make a massive difference to the racing on the track should not get overly excited.