Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1142880)   #1
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Limit...

Does anyone remember why the 2 hour time limit for the F-1 races was created? I think I know, but the memory is fuzzy as it was quite a while ago. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1142887)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before some wag gets in there first: Is it because to sleep any longer than that would be a waste of your Sunday?
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1142897)   #3
flatlander_48
Racer

I seem to have attracted the unsavory element...
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1142906)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Easily done.

Was it to do with TV schedules?
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1142913)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey! I just might change my user name: Unsavoury Element
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1142914)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nah, we'd know who you were anyway.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1142922)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Nah, we'd know who you were anyway.
You couldn't let me know could you?
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1143782)   #8
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was because the drivers are all a bunch of wimps who can't manage to drive for any longer than that.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1143794)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some very helpful answers already...

I would guess as it pre-dates refuelling, it could be down to fuel levels.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1143800)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely its far more likely to have something to do with TV scheduling........
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1143810)   #11
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rule was brought in before TV started to show F1. But to add to the question, why is there also a 200 mile limit to the race too?
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1143813)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really, that long ago? When are we talking about then?
Old 3 Nov 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1143843)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Gunnell
The rule was brought in before TV started to show F1. But to add to the question, why is there also a 200 mile limit to the race too?
I guess the general change came when the championship became more homogeneous and not just a collection of individual races.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1143855)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well that was in the 50's and they were about 4 hours long then.

Good point about tv schedules though so it may be a combination of fuel capacity and tv schedules.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1143865)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Adam is right on the 200 mile point, it was to bring an equivalency to the races across the calendar, with the lap numbers adjusted to make the same race distance regardless of the track.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1143932)   #16
flatlander_48
Racer

Interesting answers. From what I remember, it had to do with controlling the length of the races. The races were running 3 and 4 hours and it was thought that it was unsafe to run races that long as the cars got faster and harder to drive (higher G forces with better cornering, better brakes and stronger engines). I checked back to 1970 and the races since then were all less than 2 hours + a lap. As someone pointed out, this was before a consistent TV package, so that wasn't the reason for the time limit.

Anyway, I was hoping for some specific statement or article that told the story. Where I was going was that I believe that CART adopted the same 2 hour limit for the same reasons as F-1, but I can't find any info on that either.
Old 3 Nov 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1143949)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
The FIA sporting regs only give the time and distance limit, not the reasoning behind it - so no luck there either!
Old 4 Nov 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1144953)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they had to give reasons for half the rules they had they wouldn't be there in the first place!

Although, "safety grounds" is a remarkable catch-all excuse to pass whatever you like.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1144972)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, "safety grounds" is kind of like "humanitarian reasons"....

Still, I would expect the time limit came about for a mix of safety, logistics and yes coverage. There would have still been radio coverage even if not much in the way of TV.

Edited for typos.

Last edited by Dutton; 4 Nov 2004 at 18:46.