Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:23 (Ref:477640)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL's George sees no auto racing merger

By Richard Truett
Automotive News / January 15, 2003

Don't expect a merger of the Indy Racing League and Championship Auto Racing Teams, or CART, Automotive News World Congress attendees were told.

"I don't see the two organizations coming together," IRL CEO Tony George said. "The IRL has an idea of what it wants to be. CART needs to adapt a vision and adhere to it."

For 2003, George said, IRL will:

Stick to oval race tracks.

Strictly regulate engines and cars to keep performance roughly equal and competition intense.

Begin promoting its drivers as stars, much like NASCAR drivers.

Build the IRL brand through media coverage, video games and by getting drivers involved with fans before each race.

Encourage more women drivers to join the league.

Continue to hold down costs for racing teams by requiring them to buy their engines and chassis from approved suppliers.

Perhaps the biggest challenge for George will come from trying to keep down costs while welcoming Honda and Toyota into the league as approved engine suppliers for the 2003 season.

"What we hoped to have accomplished with the league and formula is a level playing field, where having access to virtually unlimited resources won't get you the kinds of gains that give you a huge advantage," George said.

"We think the competition is very close. Someone with fewer resources can compete with either the manufacturer-supported teams or the ones that have high-profile sponsors."

George said it is unlikely any races will be added to the roster at the Indianapolis International Speedway, which hosts the Indianapolis 500 in May, the Brickyard 400 in August and the United States Grand Prix in September.

Regarding the competition with CART, George after his speech said that motor sports is a big enough arena to accommodate both.

"By focusing on ovals, we can develop our niche and grow our business," he said. "Likewise, CART moving toward road courses, they should be able to develop that as well."
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:56 (Ref:477678)   #2
Hsaavedra
Rookie

Hsaavedra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why bother posting what is already true As?
We all know TG doesn't want to merge with CART, although it's odd that he of all people would offer advice to them.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:17 (Ref:477712)   #3
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because some people were under the mistaken impression that he really wanted a merger, for the good of open wheel racing.

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 17 Jan 2003 at 21:18.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 02:40 (Ref:477907)   #4
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think it points out something which during the course of the silly season is becoming increasingly obvious, and that is both series and their fans are going to have to learn to live with each other. Their niche markets and target audiences are demographically quite different with little overlapping, their products are inreasingly diverging what with CART ousing more on the international market, cutting costs, and focusing on road courses. So while understandably there is a lot is much acrimony arising from the actions of individuals over the past decade, and I share that, it seems neither series is going away any time soon although a merger might be good for open wheel motorsport in the US. The next best thing is to cut the confusion between the two series among the layman, and focus of great racing at great venues. Pook is seems, has given CART a vibrant and workable model of the future, and without him, CART would have surely died at the end of 2002.

The teams that have gone to the IRL are forgotten as far as I'm concerned; drivers will move between the two series as they do with other racing series, and each team, with a series and across series will compete for sponsors.

I vote that we all relax and cut out the acrimony between fellow motorsports enthusiasts, even if you don't like the racing or series they follow. I'm guilty of it too...2003 is going to be a great year in ChampCar and the future is bright.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 02:50 (Ref:477910)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously realizing that CART is harder to kill than originally thought TG seems to be mellowing his tone.

I think he is mistaken though when he says
Quote:
"What we hoped to have accomplished with the league and formula is a level playing field, where having access to virtually unlimited resources won't get you the kinds of gains that give you a huge advantage,"

Having virtually unlimited resources IS the huge advantage. You can spend the dough to make many small gains in a tight formula (or market) the combination of which puts you and keeps you consistantly at the front.

I actually did a paper in college (20 years ago) on Honda's corporate philosophy specifically in that regard. There's even a Japanese word for it which has slipped my mind. It seems to have kept them in the "industry leader" mode for a long long time.

Last edited by Flatspot; 18 Jan 2003 at 02:56.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 02:51 (Ref:477911)   #6
3state
Racer

3state should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One more thing. Motorsports survives on sponsorship and as we all know sponsorship is becoming increasingly scarse. The best thing we as fans can do for CART is get out there and support it; be it at the races, or by ensuring those ratings are high. When you buy that Ford or those bridgesones, why not send feedback to the company, saying its because they support of CART? A loyal, savvy fanbase is a sponsor's wetdream. Without being evangelical, as it is only sport get your friends who aren't necessarily into motosports into it. Invite them to races, or for a BBQ, beers, and to watch a race for example. Once they come to know some of the teams and drivers, and watch the action, I'm sthey'll be hooked

Sponsors left the series and a leaving motorsport generally because they don't feel in this economic climate, they're simply not getting their money's worth. This year its up to us to prove them wrong.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 04:17 (Ref:477935)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: IRL's George sees no auto racing merger

Quote:
Originally posted by ¡As-de-mim!
Begin promoting its drivers as stars, much like NASCAR drivers.

Build the IRL brand through media coverage, video games and by getting drivers involved with fans before each race.
I am totally against the IRL and all it stands for, but I must say those are two ideas Champ Car should work on a bit harder.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 07:26 (Ref:477971)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From this side of the pond , i have to say i think the IRL is a fantasticly exciting series !.....I prefer Cart if i had to chooose between them , but i dont see why the 2 series cant both be strong without seeing each side slag off the other side ?....and that goes to the fans too !.....why cant racing fans enjoy both series ?.

i do
Old 18 Jan 2003, 09:43 (Ref:478028)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
**** the IRL!

I think they should have bumper stickers saying that. Tony George wanted war. He's got war.

CART had consistently held out olive branches over the past 7 years, as they knew the bitter feud was destroying open-wheel racing in the US, but every time CART offered, he swatted away. Well, TG can go screw himself now. CART is coming back, bigger and stronger, and he'd better be careful.

ChampCars Forever!!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:39 (Ref:478175)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1manoz, I respectfully disagree. CART has consistently stuck it to the Speedway in this rift, starting with the boycott and U.S. 500 in '96. The olive branches were veiled tin cups. Finally, FINALLY, CART gets it and is going road and street and international and leaving the ovals to the series that wants 'em. Previously, when CART had an Indy-centric anti-focus, all it wanted to do, instead of building its road-course product with some direction, was play a public war with the Speedway. Now that they're going their separate ways, the war is ending with a semi-official divorce. THAT's what's needed here.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:39 (Ref:478176)   #11
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be a constant sticking point with Tony George - ovals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he basically set up the IRL because he doesn't like road courses? As long as that stays as his opinion, the two series won't join. As the 3 big single-seater championships in the world go, you've got IRL if you just like ovals, CART if you like road courses/street courses and ovals (although a couple more ovals would be nice in my opinion), and F1 if you just like road courses/street courses (and aren't too bothered about whether the cars actually race each other).
Old 18 Jan 2003, 14:23 (Ref:478203)   #12
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds pretty right to me, Paul...although I think TG doesn't hate road courses, but he's just set up his series to run ovals around the "500." Kyle Krisiloff, his nephew, is in the Atlantic series.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 14:29 (Ref:478213)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: IRL's George sees no auto racing merger

Quote:
Originally posted by ¡As-de-mim!
By Richard Truett
Automotive News / January 15, 2003

"I don't see the two organizations coming together," IRL CEO Tony George said. "The IRL has an idea of what it wants to be. CART needs to adapt a vision and adhere to it."

For 2003, George said, IRL will:

Encourage more women drivers to join the league.

"What we hoped to have accomplished with the league and formula is a level playing field, where having access to virtually unlimited resources won't get you the kinds of gains that give you a huge advantage," George said.

"We think the competition is very close. Someone with fewer resources can compete with either the manufacturer-supported teams or the ones that have high-profile sponsors."

Old 18 Jan 2003, 14:33 (Ref:478215)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(1) I think CWS has developed a vision and from what Pook has said, is sticking to it.

(2) I can't imagine how encouraging more women drivers to sign up is going to be an advantage. Drivers should be hired on the basis of their talent, not on the basis of what's inside their underwear. [I do, however, admire his restraint for not adding "and minorities" as the ultimate way to pander to the PC crowd.]

(3) As for the last two paragraphs, I invite Mr. George's attntion to Formula One, which is at the point of collapse due to trying to do exactly that. IMO this is the kind of wishful thinking that make people believe communism will work if they just try it this way.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 15:09 (Ref:478238)   #15
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The IRL needs to take the formula from last year and replicate it for the future. Races finished by one tenths of a second is very exciting stuff. Better than one decided on a one or two stop pit strategy. I think putting a spending cap on teams is a good way to level the playing field. That is someting all series will need to look at.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 15:18 (Ref:478244)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Sounds pretty right to me, Paul...although I think TG doesn't hate road courses, but he's just set up his series to run ovals around the "500." Kyle Krisiloff, his nephew, is in the Atlantic series.
Remember also when the IRL was first set-up, road coarses were mentioned as being included in the league.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:478278)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IRL has already featured several women and ethnic minority drivers, Sarah Fisher and George Mack to name but 2. Tony is right that their series should concentrate on oval racing, as it does this very well, with much more exciting races than CART gets on ovals.

I'd neve rhtought I'd agree with rush about anything, but he's right about the spending cap. If it can be enforced, it'd be highly beneficial in other championships.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 20:17 (Ref:478381)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
I think putting a spending cap on teams is a good way to level the playing field. That is someting all series will need to look at.
That's just it... in Formula 1, the field is presently divided in three ways;

1) Factory teams-namely Ferrari, Jaguar, Renault, and Toyota.

2) Semi-Factory teams- McLaren-Mercedes, Williams-BMW, BAR-Honda, and Sauber-Ferrari

3) and, the Privateers- Jordan and Minardi

in the scheme of things, going with a Spending Cap wouldn't make things equal at all. The first group would still have the better of it, as any part or component could be refined by their R&D guys, without the extra cost. The second group would get them but it would be by decision of the company heads.

...as for the third group, they would have to go through a total budget re-working in order to attain those parts, with no going back if they prove to be worthless.

Enforcement is not the problem. As it has shown in other sports, the more able of teams will always do whats necessary to maintain their high level, while the lower halves will struggle by throwing money, incorrectly, at quick fixes, and sinking further.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:29 (Ref:478621)   #19
Liz
Veteran

In short, whatever you do, the wealthy teams are going to find a way to "finesse" (as a polite way to say cheat) the rules and the privateers are going to be priced out of the market.

That's what I think I was trying to say.

And I have no objection to any driver of any gender, colour or previous condition or servitude on the grid, provided he she it or they can drive the car. I do object to picking drivers by their body shape or colour, which has nothing whatever to do with whether or not they can drive.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 00:56 (Ref:478640)   #20
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, TG can go screw himself now. CART is coming back, bigger and stronger, and he'd better be careful.

To put a finer point on it, the chances to combine forces and unify openwheel racing haven't been taken, so both sides now have to lay in the bed they have made.

CART has consistently stuck it to the Speedway in this rift, starting with the boycott and U.S. 500 in '96.

There may not have been a boycott if the speedway didn't introduce the 25 and 8 rule. It said to Cart teams at the time that if they didn't compete in the IRL then only 8 spots at Indy were open to them. The speedway stuck it to them, they responded with the U.S.500.

As for cost containment the IRL has several moves like the 3 year life span on chassis etc that Cart has needed to pick up on for our series. If some cap an be in place, policed and maintained to keep available resource levels closer then all the better.