Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Feb 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2392290)   #1
draig
Rookie

draig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for info re Thundersaloons Oulton Park circa 1980

Hi to everyone, my first post here

Many years ago we were Marshalls at Oulton Park (my husband and myself) and I am trying to help someone over the history of their car they have restored.

Does anyone else remember Mike Wilds driving a Ford Capri as a Course/Pace car during the early 80's. I remember being a passenger going back to my post at Lodge after visiting the Paddock.

Many Thanks
draig
Old 10 Feb 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2392432)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
draig,
You may have more luck posting this on the "Motorsopt History" forum.
You'll be amazed at the wealth of knowledge.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2393737)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Didn't they use the BRSCC Capri as Pace Car for early Thundersaloons races? (The same car that the BRSCC used to parade race winners on their lap of honour. It had the tailgate removed for that, and the drivers stood in the back holding onto some sort of scaffolding?)
Old 11 Feb 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2394520)   #4
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe worth contacting Mike himself for any memories?
I know that links are frowned upon here, but firstnamelastname and a dot com will find him.
He gave us a fascinating talk at our monthly marshals' meet last year & is a regular coach to training days in my Subaru club too.

Cheers, David
Old 11 Feb 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2395493)   #5
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to Ten Yenths, draig, do stay, I'm sure you will enjoy the forum.

I can certainly remember Mike driving the course car there around that time, and am fairly sure it was the BRSCC Capri.

Another source would be the official history of Oulton, writen by a good friend of mine. Not sure if you can PM as a new user, but if so I can send you his details.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2397335)   #6
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look for Mike on facebook, he has lots of old stuff there, and I am sure he will reply to you
Old 31 Dec 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2809782)   #7
Grant Coo
Rookie

Grant Coo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi There Chap's,
Still trying to find Info,,this the "X" pack capri that I have owned for many years now,you may have seen the same type posting on other sites some time ago,Gregor has helped trying to trace any previous history on the car but unfortunatley to now avail,(thanks again Gregor,hello and hope your books nearly finished now about your late dad Gerry)
This car was used in 1980/81 as a pace car for the BRSCC and driven by Mike Wilds at many of the usual tracks,Brands,Oulton etc, it was originally Fords Press Car for the "X" pack range,the first to be built (mk3) as the test bed and promotional car for the seiries "X" conversions,As you can see it was Silver 3.0S series "X" with all the Mods including triple webers etc,As you can see it was pictured beside one of the Gordon Spice race cars you have all been talking about on this thread which is why I thought I would try this posting here,
I have accumulated alot of history of it in its early days when it was Silver and have plenty of photographic evidence of it from ford etc of these days,autosport magazines,car and car conversions etc,BUT... following those early days it then was loaned to Mike Wilds who also used it as his road car,I cannot find any photographic evidence of these race track days,I have writtten and personally spoken to Mike Wlids with reference to this,but,he has lost any photos of it from those days in various house moves.Although he said it was one of his favorite cars!!
Does anyone have any pics or reconize it from those days,Any Pics would be happily paid for by myself to support its history of those days and the new Ford RS colour's it was painted in.
Im sorry for the chaps that have read postings relating to this before,I dont want to bore those people.
Any info would be so much appreciated
With my best regards
Grant
The bottom pic is another early autocar test,the pic above that is one of its Mike Wilds Course car Days.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 31 Dec 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2809783)   #8
Grant Coo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Didn't they use the BRSCC Capri as Pace Car for early Thundersaloons races? (The same car that the BRSCC used to parade race winners on their lap of honour. It had the tailgate removed for that, and the drivers stood in the back holding onto some sort of scaffolding?)
YES Viva GT,it was this car your refering to.
Best Regards
Grant
Old 31 Dec 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2809785)   #9
Grant Coo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim69 View Post
Have a look for Mike on facebook, he has lots of old stuff there, and I am sure he will reply to you
I Have contacted Mike on several accasions but unfortunately he has lost any pics in various house moves.
Best Regards
Grant
Old 6 Jan 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2811963)   #10
Grant Coo
Rookie

I can certainly remember Mike driving the course car there around that time, and am fairly sure it was the BRSCC Capri.

Another source would be the official history of Oulton, writen by a good friend of mine. Not sure if you can PM as a new user, but if so I can send you his details.[/QUOTE]

I have tried to contact to Derek lawson on his email address ntlworld.com but it comes back as undeliverable mail,would anyone have a current email address for Derek please and thank you chaps
Grant
Old 6 Jan 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2812082)   #11
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is of any help, Thundersaloons started in 1985.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2812923)   #12
Grant Coo
Rookie

Ive now contacted Derek so hopefully he may have something
Best Regards
Grant