Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2003, 20:17 (Ref:545623)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many cars did Ralf overtake today?

17th to 4th sounds like quite a lot. But given the first lap mayhem and the different strategies, I'm not so sure. Do you know how many cars he overtook on the track?
Old 24 Mar 2003, 05:00 (Ref:545992)   #2
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw him overtaking a Jaguar.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 05:35 (Ref:546001)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah so we bag him because we don't like to admit that he did pretty well.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 05:57 (Ref:546007)   #4
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did a Coulthard. A fairly decent performance but not so stellar as the numbers would have you think. He drove good lap times and kept his nose out of trouble all the while. That takes some doing but I think Schuey Snr and Trulli worked harder and raced better for their points.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 06:07 (Ref:546010)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
He did a Coulthard. A fairly decent performance but not so stellar as the numbers would have you think. He drove good lap times and kept his nose out of trouble all the while. That takes some doing but I think Schuey Snr and Trulli worked harder and raced better for their points.
Agreed but that is what its about when you start from so far back. As to Trulli? He overdrove the car IMO (I can't understand the Turkish commentary so have to make my own mind up).

I made a point elswhere that the Macaroons in the early eighties with Lauda and Watson would qualify badly and race well. Seems that Ralf might be fitting into that mould. His self-induced spin in Aus probably kept him out of the top six.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 06:54 (Ref:546035)   #6
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately. Fast and steady is no bad thing.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 07:08 (Ref:546043)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What more would one expect from Ralf?

This year's car was developed and built around feedbacks made by Montoya, so it'll suit the Columbian more..supposed to

That's what you get from building the car from an inexperienced driver, better off with Ralf's feedback...at least Montoya managed to record some poles last year.

Don't blame Ralf for those awful grid positions, the car was not of his preference.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 07:41 (Ref:546053)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
agreed Jukebox
Ralf drove a steady race and got the points well done Ralf
Old 24 Mar 2003, 12:57 (Ref:546307)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just shows that a reliable car will normally get you in the points if you stick in there!

That's why I always a bit sceptical about all the speed trap data - so what if you can go fast for a few laps - the points scorers are those who have cars that can do 58 laps.

I think Ralf did OK - although appeared a bit embrassed in the post-interview when it was clear he made his way through the field (in the main) by means of mechanical failures and mistakes.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 24 Mar 2003 at 12:58.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:05 (Ref:546314)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Just shows that a reliable car will normally get you in the points if you stick in there!

That's why I always a bit sceptical about all the speed trap data - so what if you can go fast for a few laps - the points scorers are those who have cars that can do 58 laps.
IIRC wasn't Panis the quickest? Yet he was slower through the corners. Its all about balance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
I think Ralf did OK - although appeared a bit embrassed in the post-interview when it was clear he made his way through the field (in the main) by means of mechanical failures and mistakes.
But I think the point is that he did get there and he made it stick.

If you are heading into a corner with cars all over the place you can either drive through it or hit the brakes.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:07 (Ref:546318)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf did pretty well in the race, but he obviously didn't pass many people after his great qualifying showing. Qualifying fourth, miles ahead of his team-mate, ahead of the two Jaguars which have been superfast all year, was a sueprb achievement.... Oh hang on, I've got the grid upside down.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 10:38 (Ref:547275)   #12
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a comment earlier about this years car being developed around Juan, and this being something to do with Ralf's performances being worse than last year. But wasn't the car that Juan qualified on pole so many times last year designed around Ralf predominantly?

Even so, (and although I'm not a Ralf fan), I'm surprised he isn't doing a little better.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 11:23 (Ref:547312)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm not really surprised at all. His style has changed since he first came to F1. He's possibly (as has been pointed out elswhere) overdone the change. But (and this is always my point) he isn't that bad. He is particularly reliable and so far, whilst his qualifying has to put it bluntly sucked, he has scored points.

I rail at the suggestion that he can't overtake when the people who make that suggestion don't apply the same rules to their particular favourite (whoever it may be).

On Sunday he did better than anybody, either by making sure he was in the right place at the right time or by overtaking loads of people. Either way he has so far been on the score sheet twice. That is more than a lot of others.

As to qualifying, I hope he gets his act together soon.