Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 May 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1606733)   #1
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does Australian motorsport have too many classes?

Interested to hear other poeples point of view.

I think that it is evident that there are a number of classes that are well, struggling for numbers and having to compromise aspects of specifications and race formats to fit into others, I have heard the comment so many times at the track like "we have to many classes" and "CAMS need to have a good look at what they sanction".

Now i know that you are never going to please everyone but why am i starting to think that there is growing anomosity amoungst the ranks about how Australian motorsport is being developed?

Personally, i think that there could be some "culling" but where do you start??? There is sooooooo much potential but at the same time i think that there is so much frustration with the lack of guidence in developing Australian motorsport.

I wish that people who push the buttons for motorsport in this Country would put a little more emphasis on other classes outside Tony "i wanna be like Bernie" Cochrane and V8Taxies which in my opinion are boring as bat**** to watch.

Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts... rant over

Go the Datto!!!
Old 12 May 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1606738)   #2
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Culling is not the answer as there will be some who have invested quite a lot into their respective classes. Merging is possibly the better answer...
Old 12 May 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1606747)   #3
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look what happened - when was it? 2-3 years ago when CAMS said they would no longer allow any new categories because there were too many already?

Then immediately announced 2 new categories - and, since then, CAMS haven't said a word.

How would you handle, say, the HQ evolution into Kingswoods? The current GT 'sub-classes'?. The Production Touring Car Class? One make series?

And then throw in the AMRS/AASA versions as well.
Old 12 May 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1606752)   #4
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its absolutely stupid that there are this many categories, and what is even worse is the polotics or bickering category managers do between themselves when it comes to a "split category". One Production category wont speak to another and will do things differently on race day even though they dont make logical sense, just so they are "different".

Dont kill the categories, bring them under one banner.
Old 12 May 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1606795)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Look what happened - when was it? 2-3 years ago when CAMS said they would no longer allow any new categories because there were too many already?

Then immediately announced 2 new categories - and, since then, CAMS haven't said a word.

How would you handle, say, the HQ evolution into Kingswoods? The current GT 'sub-classes'?. The Production Touring Car Class? One make series?

And then throw in the AMRS/AASA versions as well.
I think you hit the nail on the head. CAMS is the problem.
Old 12 May 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1606800)   #6
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do CAMS get money from licensing new classes?
Old 12 May 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1606816)   #7
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes there are too many classes . As I said in another thread, there are a lot more "Touring Car Classes" now than there ever were. If you were too merge some it would make more sense.. Classis exmples the two basic production classes in the AMRS and the CAMS series. Viola you would get 22 cars into one class.
Old 12 May 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1606838)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Except that the AASA/AMRS version wouldn't be accepted into CAMS (forget the politics for a minute) - their version (AMRS) is to have basically a 'road going' car race whereas the cars CAMS puts into the APCC are anything BUT road going cars.

Thats the first obstacle you have to overcome (and I am not saying either of them is right or wrong - they just have different philosophies)
Old 12 May 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1606989)   #9
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have to say, I've been rather confused by all the different classes ever since Procar died. I thought it was a shame when GTP and APCC were split up, if you could have those two plus the AUSGT under one banner, that would be a interesting series I think.
Old 12 May 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1606997)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
Culling is not the answer as there will be some who have invested quite a lot into their respective classes. Merging is possibly the better answer...
Absolutely!

To make someone's valuable property worthless with the stroke of a pen is irresponsible, destructive and shortsighted. If a class is struggling to field a full grid, merge their races with another comparable class in the same boat.
Old 12 May 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1607403)   #11
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it keeps evolving

The classes are constantly evolving.
Leave aside the V8s & Carrera Cup that are ruled by a group (s) intent on making a dollar from the sport (hey, not arguing) - see the Saloon Cars marching onward & upward, meeting at the VS Commodore, the Commodore Cup - should the casual race goer know there is a difference, is there ?

The evolution is competitor driven - the HQs, historics, saloon cars ..

Sports Cars - just take the ongoing, circular arguments of the protagonists on this forum - all love the sport but want their template applied & even more rigorously oppose the other - me, I just love sports car racing & know there are lots of cars that rarely see the light of day.

Too many classes: always been a problem for Aus motor sport.
Old 12 May 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1607451)   #12
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Except that the AASA/AMRS version wouldn't be accepted into CAMS (forget the politics for a minute) - their version (AMRS) is to have basically a 'road going' car race whereas the cars CAMS puts into the APCC are anything BUT road going cars.

Thats the first obstacle you have to overcome (and I am not saying either of them is right or wrong - they just have different philosophies)
There's only 2 road-regoed cars in the AMRS series I know of - Nat Wilmington and Tony Saliba. I *think* Roland McIntosh's Pug might still be, but the BMWs, the 380, and Satria GTi are not as far as I am aware. Don't forget that the BMW 130s were bought to run in the CAMS series, but the split occurred before the cars got here and Kelly and Searle had to run PTCC due to their loyalty lying with the AMRS. David Capraro's Alfa which gave them a good run for their money at Wakefield is logbooked for 3E Production Cars and was a competitor in the CAMS series previously - as was the Roylett Proton (formerly Kosi's championship winning car).

It would be good to have a combined field, but as pointed out - it will never happen
Old 13 May 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1607482)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher
I thought it was a shame when GTP and APCC were split up
I too don't know why that happened.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1607509)   #14
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know anything about the politics of these categories, but I really enjoy both classes and would love to see them amalgamate.
Please don't shoot me I'm sure there are many reasons why they can' but it would make for fantastic racing.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:12 (Ref:1607523)   #15
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IMO no.
Old 13 May 2006, 05:16 (Ref:1607595)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I too don't know why that happened.
At the time, there was plenty of cars and enough support to split the categories. I think the GT-Performance guys didn't like having to race with "lesser" machinery as well. But hey, it got them to a point where they could go it alone. It may be time for them to merge back given recent fields, but time will tell.

Kerri - I like both Production classes too, but honestly don't think there should be two categories with so much obvious overlap.
Old 13 May 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1607609)   #17
AverageRaceFan
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
AverageRaceFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Searle and Kelly BMW's were not bought for the CAMS series, both cars were bought after the AMRS announced the Production Touring Car Championship, to be run in that series. Congratulations to Peter for your first round win at Winton.
Old 13 May 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1607627)   #18
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[I thought it was a shame when GTP and APCC were split up
Actually it would have been smarter to have ONE LARGE GTP catergory in PROCAR. Why Bog standard productions cars were hived off as seperate class is beyond me.
Old 13 May 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1607714)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That is right, as the AMRS version, those cars have to be "street legal" so I doubt whether the CAMS class could merge into AMRS, but could the AMRS merge into CAMS?
Old 13 May 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1607724)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course there are too many classes.

And in many ways it's not just about how many cars each category attracts, for instance;

- GT-P, APCC as mentioned should/could go together, and Saloon Cars and even Commodore Cup are in the same realm, do we really need these 4 as seperate categories?

- The well-documented GT/Carrera Cup stuff.

These categories are all based along similiar lines and similiar competitors.

Lets be honest, nothing is likely to be done in the close future is there?
Old 13 May 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1607786)   #21
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageRaceFan
The Searle and Kelly BMW's were not bought for the CAMS series, both cars were bought after the AMRS announced the Production Touring Car Championship, to be run in that series. Congratulations to Peter for your first round win at Winton.
Is that correct? The cars were on order for a very long time, long before the PTCC was started.
Old 13 May 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1607787)   #22
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
That is right, as the AMRS version, those cars have to be "street legal" so I doubt whether the CAMS class could merge into AMRS, but could the AMRS merge into CAMS?
Street legal except for the cages of course
As far as I can tell, all of the AMRS cars are legal for the CAMS series.
However, the AMRS doesn't allow turbocharged cars or anything over 4L in capacity and maximum of 6 cylinders. So that rules out the SS Commodores, XR6 Turbos and XR8 Falcons which currently run in the CAMS series.

However, due to the people and organisations involved, I don't see a merge ever happening.... but I thought that of ChampCar and IRL too....
Old 13 May 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1607791)   #23
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
- GT-P, APCC as mentioned should/could go together, and Saloon Cars and even Commodore Cup are in the same realm, do we really need these 4 as seperate categories?
Same realm? As in they generally have 4 doors? Or that they are all cars?
Old 14 May 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1610076)   #24
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that if CAMS cancelled a category and the competitors took CAMS to the ACCC then CAMS would lose.This is the major reason why CAMS is not proactive in rationalising the number of categories.
Old 15 May 2006, 00:30 (Ref:1610082)   #25
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Same realm? As in they generally have 4 doors? Or that they are all cars?
No, he's quite right. If some simple forward vision had been applied when these categories were formed, then we wouldn't have a GTP/APCC, Saloon Cars/Commodore Cup or GT/Carrera Cup/Lotus trophy. Each of these groups would be one category. So straight away you have 7 categories becoming one.

What would be so wrong about having a V8 and 6 cylinder division on Saloon cars to incorporate Commodore Cup? GTP/APCC would be a cinch to re-amalgamate as would GT/Carrera Cup/Lotus Trophy if ego's, corporate profits, predatory marketing and self-interests were put aside.