Old 26 Jun 2001, 19:35 (Ref:110049)   #1
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid Season Review

Now that we're halfway through the season, who's stock is up, down or even at this point? In other words, what teams have or have not met the expectations you had for them at the start of the season?
Here's my assesment:

Up
Williams-expected to be "best of the rest" after Ferrari/McLaren; they are now Ferrari's best competition.
Sauber-trouble of late, but some suprising results early.

Down
McLaren-Mika is a no-show, they are losing their grip as the equal of Ferrari.
Jordan/BAR-so Honda was NOT the answer?
Arrows-interesting strategy: start last, drive like hell to make mid-field finish.
Minardi-I expected them to be backmarkers, but not so consistently. I thought a new powerplant was supposed to reveal the genius of their design?

No Change
Ferrari-expected them to be leading, and they are.
Jaguar-promising results of late, but they are just starting to make up for a poor start.
Benetton-so inconspicuous I don't remember how to spell their name.
Prost-was that blue car a Prost or a Benetton? who cares? Poor Alesi.

Last edited by Neil C; 26 Jun 2001 at 19:39.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 20:37 (Ref:110062)   #2
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost have made some improvement there car can actully finish a race.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 21:00 (Ref:110072)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil I agree with the majority of your conclusions except for Benneton and Minardi. Minardi with all of their trouble even to make the grid, I didn't expect them to be anywhere but where they are. If anything they are performing better than expected, not by much though.
As for Benneton, to go from a mid-grid team to challenging the Minardi's for last is appalling, and being a works team. Worse than Jaguar last year.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 21:19 (Ref:110081)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Okay, here's my assessment:

UP:
Williams - what can I say? Excellent - Ralf has not disappointed, and JPM should be doing great things soon.
Sauber - two young, quick drivers and a good car. Very pleased to see good results for them
Minardi - considering many people on 10 Tenths (including myself, for a time) weren't expecting to see Minardi on the grid in Australia, they've done an excellent job (not to mention Fernando being convincingly faster than the Benettons - he's going places!)

DOWN:
McLaren - not at all convincing this year...the decline of McLaren has started?
Benetton - a massive decline from last year - Magny Cours will be te make or break point in the season for them

NO CHANGE:
Jaguar - have improved, but not enough yet for them to be regular points finishers
Ferrari - are exactly as I expected at this point
Jordan - Honda hasn't delivered as yet, but given some time they could start getting podiums. Need to sort their reliability first
BAR - ditto, plus ditch the internal politics
Prost - pretty much the same as Jaguar
Arrows - sometimes racing well, sometimes not
Old 26 Jun 2001, 21:48 (Ref:110088)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RG and E-ace have convinced me to move Minardi from "Down" to "Even".
Here's to hopes for an improved second half for a team that deserves a break. Besides, this place is no fun when Minardi Fan is in a bad mood.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 22:06 (Ref:110094)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey, Man, catching up on Speedvision??? I think the big change is Sauber whose tradition of looking good early in the season and trailing out as the season progresses is looking to reestablish itself. Unusually strong form in the early races makes the slide all the more disappointing.

I also rate Jaguar "up". though only slightily, but they are a better team, than last year an I think the improvement will continue.

Benetton is down, but this was never expected to be any more than a development year, though it may ruin the reputations of two fine young drivers.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 22:42 (Ref:110106)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the talk of the pre-season the changes have been -
Sauber, and to think that some thought Kimmi didn't belong.
In relation to Sauber, Prost, can't blame the engine this year.
Jaguar, actually now doing better than I thought after a dismal season last year.
Benetton? Somebody please instigate a search for the plot.
McLaren, we all should expect better. Where's the money gone?
Minardi, it's an achievement just to be there, and thanks for Alonso.
Williams, to be expected, but Ralf???????
Ferrari, I've gone to sleep.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 23:28 (Ref:110117)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UP:

Williams - What can I say that hasn't already be said? Fantastic job, now they just need reliability and consistency from JPM.
Minardi - Thought they weren't gonna make it? Told you they would.
Sauber - Their usual gradual slump hasn't appeared. Yet.
Prost - They finish races, and Alesi has scored twice. Now they need consistency.
Jaguar - As much as I hate to say it, there's definitely some improvement - but management tussles and a naff driver line-up mean Jaguar are not going anywhere fast.

NO CHANGE:

Ferrari - Snooooze...

DOWN:

Arrows - The speed they had last season has gone.
McLaren - The decline has definitely begun.
BAR - All that cash and yet still they languish firmly in the midfield. Villeneuve needs a kick up the *rse too - a lucky third place doesn't make a season.
Jordan - It's like 1999 never happened - Trulli and Frentzen deserve more reliability from their cars.
Benetton - A chassis that doesn't work, and an underpowered developing engine. This season was never going to be good.

Heeeeey Neil C - there's no new powerplant in the back of the Minardi - it's the SAME engine they used in 1998...
Old 27 Jun 2001, 00:22 (Ref:110146)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Hey, Man, catching up on Speedvision??? I think the big change is Sauber whose tradition of looking good early in the season and trailing out as the season progresses is looking to reestablish itself. Unusually strong form in the early races makes the slide all the more disappointing.
Actually EERO i heard on Speedvision's Nurburgring coverage that there was a rumour that Sauber might get Ferrari qualifying engines for the second half of the season. Who knows, maybe with a little help from their friends they might not make the slide.
Here's Hoping!
Old 27 Jun 2001, 03:05 (Ref:110175)   #10
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UP:
Obviously Williams. Grown into a winner. Capable of winning every time out.
Sauber. This pesky little team has quite a chasis and combined with the ferrari engine and the skills of KIMI and NICk are 4th in the constructors.
Prost: From No points a year ago to 3 points is quite a jump considering they have a lower budget than Minardi
Jaguar: Better than last year, Podium in their 2nd season. A good job for their 2nd season. Great engine. Chasis needs a little work.
Arrows: considering what they've got work with, Excellent position. Great strategies have earned them a deserved point.

SAME:
Ferrari-Still Great Chasis and engine.However, I don't see any improvements from last year.

Down:
Mclaren: Big time Drop off. Chasis suffers from understeer, Engine off pace compared to the BMW and FERRARI. Still capable of winning tho.
BAR: Basically Chasis is last year's. Not alot of development. The reynard chasis just doesnt have enough aero efficiency. Honda Engine is also wayyyy behind the front runners. Some say 40bhp off the BMW.
Jordan: Expected to be one of the contenders this year with the HONDA engine. However, Chasis maybe a little improved, Reliablity is another question. 4th straight race where cars didn't finish.
Benneton: Horrible Chasis, Vibrations due to the "revolutionary" renault 110 degree v. The Engine is Detuned.
Minardi: What can you say except the car sucks
Old 27 Jun 2001, 03:22 (Ref:110177)   #11
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PoweredByHonda
DOWN:
That they weren't even supposed to make the grid, and at times they've shown quicker form then a few teams with budgets well above twice their size?

That they're stuck with an engine that was a backmarker in 1998?

That they show more heart and class than all the other teams on pitlane combined?

That hating Minardi is F1's equivalent of hating Santa Claus?

I could go on. I can say a lot more.

{P.S. My edit was to change UP to DOWN, as I messed up the quoting a tad.)

Last edited by Victor Broccoli; 27 Jun 2001 at 03:23.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 03:25 (Ref:110178)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Victor,

I like a lot around here would agree - they have made established drivers in light blue cars look very weak indeed.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 12:34 (Ref:110260)   #13
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly - PBH, get over it.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 22:29 (Ref:110489)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PoweredByHonda
There's only one critic in this forum
Old 28 Jun 2001, 01:43 (Ref:110568)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Award for most improved

Can I have the envelope please........Williams. Sir Frank and his team have really made some major steps forward this year. Although in the end they may still finish 3rd, next year looks very very good.

And the runner up....... Sauber. Excellent young driver line-up combined with excellent use of last years championship winning engine is making the Honda teams look second rate.

Award for biggest step backwards

And the winner is Benetton. This car is a dog. The only saving grace they have is that point in Brazil that will keep them ahead of Minardi. Don't despear though, will probably win next years "Most improved" award.

And the runner up......McLaren. The laws of gravity are starting to bite. It was a good run Ron, but its time to regroup so you can at least keep 3rd in your pocket. Williams could'nt even control that slide.