Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1039155)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie & Qualifying changes

Maybe this is mentioned somewhere, but I was away...

I saw an interview with Bernie on the big screen at Silverstone last week...where he again slated the qualifying system post the 'slowest lap' competition in pre-qual (don't know why everyone's saying the spectators were cheated...I loved it...they sped round the track and parked in front of me at Pit Straight A!)...

Anyway...he seemed insistent that these "silly" rules would be dumped by Hockenheim...other talk was that was Minardi who had not agreed to the change for Silverstone to ordinary qualifying, due to the fact they probably wouldn't be in the race as 107% would be back in.

No word so far as to whether Bernie has acheived a change in qualifying yet I believe?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1039163)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosport says no changes for Hockenhiem.

An FIA spokesman told Reuters "We have not yet received that unanimous support".

It looks like any chages, if they do come, will come after Hungary.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1039166)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good.

Keep it until the end of the season.

Each round should be carried out with the same format.

The off-season's the time for changes.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1039168)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry if this seems a bit off message but.................. ******** I can't be @rsed.

I really want to contribute to this but I'm going to be shot down by the current regs or I'm going towards the "old fogey" bit.

Its F1. Live with it.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1039187)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is anything wrong with qual, its just the first session thats pointless. They may as well do a 30 min free for all warm-up before qual to give them track more track time. Then have a bag of balls and pull out numbers to determine the order of qualifying.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1039190)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just don't have qualifying full stop.

Hey! It would end all the ********!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1039192)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Just don't have qualifying full stop.

Hey! It would end all the ********!
Agreed. Let's not race either.

Problem solved.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1039194)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now you've just went to far.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1039224)   #9
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey! I'd rather have just qualifying than the race, at least you get different results!

Pretend F1 scored on qualifying (poor Sauber)

Code:
M Schumacher	86
R Barrichello	61
J Button	57
J Montoya	45
J Trulli	37
R Schumacher	36
F Alonso	34
T Sato	        23
K Raikonnen	20
M Webber	14
D Coulthard	8
O Panis	        4
G Fisichella	3
M Gene	        1
Old 17 Jul 2004, 23:15 (Ref:1039317)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and still that german fellow leads

Ciao Marco
Old 18 Jul 2004, 02:33 (Ref:1039377)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Can someone please tell me what was wrong with last season?

I'm not a purist like many here I suspect, and fully supported the Superpole concept. However, I would like to see it done with low fuel.

I have 3 ideas for quals :

1. Do it like 2003. We have mixed grids, more overtaking, and more mistakes from drivers (I find it hard to believe some are against this, but support the banishment of driver aids, I suspect its because 'their' driver does'nt go as well as Michael in 1 lap quals)

2. Just do the friday low fuel quals. This will bring some interesting results, some teams find the sweetspot quicker than others, and we get to see the cars go flat out. Then the teams have time to practice and set-up with the race plan alredy in mind (making it easier for a car to comeback after a screwup)

3. If Quals must be on Saturday, then just have 1 session in championship order (dont like this pulling names out of hat thing).

Reverting back to 1 hour is boring, and for those craving overtaking, you have forgotten what happens when the cars grid up in order of speed. We will only see overtaking when faster cars are behind slower cars, and even then it is hard.

Look at Suzuka, a nail-biting finish to the championship because of one lap quals. Otherwise Micky would have been out front, and we would'nt have had that glimpse of Sato in 'Battle' mode. Top stuff.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 03:46 (Ref:1039395)   #12
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with pulling names out of a hat?

The first Grand Prix grid was set like that.

I hate the idea of pulling names out of a hat.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 03:55 (Ref:1039399)   #13
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or they could set the start order the same way as WRC.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1039422)   #14
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or a swimsuit contest