Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2001, 16:15 (Ref:160137)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Fisichella made a mistake

I was initially happy to hear that Fisico had was leaving the sinking Benneton team to join Jordan. But lately that Benneton has put in some good performances. He finished 3rd in Belgium and qualified 6th today. Could it be that Fisichella jumped the gun maybe by deciding to leave Benneton in favour of Jordan.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 16:56 (Ref:160156)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Don't think he had a choice in the matter. This was a deal between the two top slimeballs in F1: Eddie Jordan and Flavio Briatore.

Yes, Fisi will once again get screwed and be stuck with the piece of **** Honda powered car. One or two podiums - that's it for next year. I think Benetton is on its way up, and Jordan is the same as usual (stinks).

Boy, I sure would have liked to see Fisi in a top car, but I don't think we'll ever see him there. He's gonna be the next Alesi...
Old 13 Oct 2001, 17:33 (Ref:160163)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Has Fisichella made a mistake ?

Sure he did.

Don't think he had a choice in the matter.

He hadn't. But he said he made the right thing...
Old 13 Oct 2001, 18:45 (Ref:160186)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again fischo finds himself in the wrong team at the wrong time. And history won't remeber him for it. Because history won't remeber him at all.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 18:59 (Ref:160188)   #5
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi undoubtedly got the worst of the deal but he had absolutely no say in the matter.

Over the next fe years Renault (as they will be from 2002 onwards) will becom the second Ferrari in terms of huge works team success. I expect them to outperform everybody else with a similar team such as Jaguar, Toyota, Honda (if the buy out BAR) and be a match for the current big three.

Fisi might see a small short term improvement in his fortunes but let's face it, Jordan have ben treading water in F1 for ten years. They never make that last step into the big time. If anything they have gone backwards since 1998-9 when they did at least win a few races with Frentzen.

Jordan to me are like David Coulthard - ie "Next year will be our year!". Except that it won't and never will be. I don't think Eddie Jordan will ever take on the big three of Renault unless he is bought out by a manufacturer, restructured and truly (no pun) top drivers are brought in along with a superstar tech guru such as a Newey, Brunner, Rinland, Brawn etc.

So in other words Fisi is ****ed. For the record I rate him as one of the most underrated drivers currently in the sport.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 19:13 (Ref:160193)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono

Jordan to me are like David Coulthard - ie "Next year will be our year!". Except that it won't and never will be. I don't think Eddie Jordan will ever take on the big three of Renault unless he is bought out by a manufacturer, restructured and truly (no pun) top drivers are brought in along with a superstar tech guru such as a Newey, Brunner, Rinland, Brawn etc.

So in other words Fisi is ****ed. For the record I rate him as one of the most underrated drivers currently in the sport.
LOL, you're right... DC and Jordan are a match made in heaven...

I REALLY would love to see Fisi take TGF's place when he goes.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 19:17 (Ref:160197)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be great, let's hope you're right.

I agree with what the rest of you are saying. I'm afraid the move from Benetton to Jordan is a bad one for Fisi - a really bad one. It's a shame, because this is a guy I would really love to see in a competitive car.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 00:46 (Ref:160294)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It was sad. Fisi did all the hard work and put up with a really lousy car for most of this year, and now he is dumped. The only consolation is that he is not going to Minardi.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 01:39 (Ref:160299)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
He did'nt have a choice so this is pointless.

Although I agree Jordan will never be a front runner, I would never discount Honda. Are we all forgetting that just like Renault, history shows that they are not here to make up the numbers. And with Toyota coming in, expect a either an improvement next year, or some drastic changes in management.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 17:32 (Ref:160550)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota's entry could indirectly really help GFisichella, as Honda will have to pull out all the stops to beat their fierce Japanese rivals. They will almost certainly commmit to 1 team for 2003 and I think that will be Jordan, with Sato's arrival and BAR's current decline in form. Maybe some day it'll become the works Hodna team if they make an offer Eddie can't refuse. They could be just as strong in the long term as Renault, and being contracted to a team as opposed to a corporation would give him more scope to move on to eg Ferrari in say 2004.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 17:39 (Ref:160552)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm with the consensus here. Fisi wanted to stay at Benetton, but he had no say in the matter. Unless Honda really make some big steps forward, Fisi will be a footnote. Its too bad. He's a nice guy and a quick driver.

The thing is, Trulli may have burts of speed, but i think Fisi is better ove rhte full race distance. I really don't know what Flavio Flave was thinking.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 19:07 (Ref:160580)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
The thing is, Trulli may have burts of speed, but i think Fisi is better ove rhte full race distance.
I agree. My sentiments exactly. IMO Fisi is in the top 5 in the current crop in terms of speed over a complete race distance.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 02:08 (Ref:160703)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Geez, R, at least you could have fixed the typos in the quote!!!!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 02:50 (Ref:160709)   #14
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I really don't know what Flavio Flave was thinking.
Flav was thinking cash - Fisi was too pricy to keep (snowball contract, money keeps getting bigger) and he needed to do something nice for Jarno (that's what managers are for)
I reckon Flav is the biggest danger to F1 there is - he owns too many drivers and unless Renault is smart and sends him sideways then he has too much manufacturers clout too. He is only a used-tie salesman after all ....
Jordan's four leaf clover might sprout next season, and Renault may not get an angle on the engine after all - thing is Fisi had no choice about where he was driving. He just needs to be thanking his lucky stars Flav didn't try to sway him with Ferdy instead!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 11:46 (Ref:160833)   #15
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are all wrong in your criticisms of Jordan. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Renault will be back to winning championships soon enough, but I think you really are underestimating Jordan.

Don't forget that since Peugeot left Jordan in 97 (I think) they have been running with a customer engine. Even Williams couldn't run competitivly with a customer! This year was their first year with works Honda and i think we all know that the engine wasn't exactly a top performer. If you look at the last two years Jordan have had a reasonably fast car at the start of the year, but due to reliability problems have not been able to improve the performance of it and instead have had to concentrate on making it reliable.

Next year I expect the Honda to be a bit more up to standard and maybe then we'll see an improvement. If Honda can sort the engine, and Jordan can recapture their 1999 reliability then I think they'll be for a winner.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 11:50 (Ref:160834)   #16
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thought I'd add a bit:

Honda's engine this year was pretty conventional, nothing very experimental in there. It wasn't particulaly small, light, powerful or anything. It didn't excell in any area, but was adequate in them all.

Renault on the other hand were very unconventional, it didn't help them this year, but I bet that by next year the engine will be one of the best (maybe next year is a bit optimistic, maybe not).

Honda are supposedly being a bit more experimental next year. I hope they are for Jordans sake.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 15:37 (Ref:160925)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something that I think everyone is missing thus far - the car (whatever car, Jordan in this case) is made better partly by the driver's input. F1 is build a team, develop a car, build it, test it and THEN race it. Look at how the Bennetton has come-on - that's as much down to Fisichella as anybody. Witness Button's comments about how well his team mate had got to grips with a difficult car, and how he (Button) had struggled.

Mid-field cars don't have to remain so. One of the star qualities that MS possesses is to build a great team around him. Twice world champion in a Bennetton, and then a complete re-build of Ferrari...

I realise that Bennetton's slow start this year was partly down to the use of a development engine, but if Jordan could improve next year by the same degree as Bennetton have this year (instead of pretty much standing still) they could be right up there.

And, as has been touched on by others, Fisichella has superb race speed from start to finish - whereas Trulli often produces stellar qualifying form, followed by a disappointing Sunday.

Tall order though, partnering Sato - makes Fisichella's role in development all the more key, as I see it.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 16:53 (Ref:160955)   #18
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"I think next year's engine is going to be good," Panis told F1i.com. "It is a big, big step. I trust Honda and know they need to have a good engine for the publicity and I'm very positive about the next engine."

Panis also confirmed exclusively to F1i.com that Jarno Trulli was desperate to stay at Jordan next season because of the strength of next year's Honda engine.
Why write off the engine that powered Senna to the Championship.

I expect Fisico to be fighting for the WDC in 2003. EJ has modelled himself on being another Ron Todt Williams, it makes people hate him but it gets the job done.

Last edited by drexel; 15 Oct 2001 at 16:58.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 18:57 (Ref:161019)   #19
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
And history won't remeber him for it. Because history won't remeber him at all.
Now if i had said that in the f3 forum i would have got an ear bashing! but hey i admire ur realistic attitude - its the way i think to!!!

But no fisichella has most def. made the wrong choice - i mean he left jordan to benetton as jordan began to get good now hes goin benetton to jordan just as benetton seem likely to be better than jordan! poor bloke! maybe he can prove me wrong!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 19:03 (Ref:161025)   #20
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Don't think he had a choice in the matter. This was a deal between the two top slimeballs in F1: Eddie Jordan and Flavio Briatore.

Yes, Fisi will once again get screwed and be stuck with the piece of poop Honda powered car. One or two podiums - that's it for next year. I think Benetton is on its way up, and Jordan is the same as usual (stinks).

Boy, I sure would have liked to see Fisi in a top car, but I don't think we'll ever see him there. He's gonna be the next Alesi...
very cynical of eddie jordan and briatorie...i can seee what you mean with ol' brio, but eddie? nah...

fisi i can see being the next alesi...

Last edited by Number Juan; 15 Oct 2001 at 19:04.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:28 (Ref:161115)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

...i can seee what you mean with ol' brio, but eddie? nah...

Just look at the way he treated Heinz Harold!!! EJ's a tyrant just like all the other team bosses.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:30 (Ref:161117)   #22
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

fisi i can see being the next alesi...
yep i can see that too - i don't think he will ever be world champion!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:43 (Ref:161125)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff

yep i can see that too - i don't think he will ever be world champion!
If he gets a McLaren or a Ferrari, maybe... but this seems very hard to happen.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:49 (Ref:161131)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

If he gets a McLaren or a Ferrari, maybe... but this seems very hard to happen.

Oh yes... pleeeeeeeaaase! Luca, Gianni, are you listening??? Sign Fisi for 2004 after TGF retires. Make the tifosi happy!!!

Per favore!!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:59 (Ref:161145)   #25
R
Veteran

Fisi driving for Ferrari - I like the sound of that. But, like Bononi, I can hardly see it happening.