Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1402112)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JB settlement in sight ?

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for the Jenson Button situation (will he drive for BAR or Williams) ? When will we know when all this will be clarified ?

This whole issue is preventing the drivers market to settle.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1402115)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
September the 15th is a key date, because that's when Williams have to decide whether to exercise their option on Nick Heidfeld.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1402125)   #3
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Does anyone know if there is a deadline for the Jenson Button situation (will he drive for BAR or Williams) ? When will we know when all this will be clarified ?

This whole issue is preventing the drivers market to settle.

So what else is new? Didn't we go through that last year as well mainly due to Buttongate 1? It seems that this trend is here to stay. Contracts are more sophisticated each year it seems with drivers (or driver agents/lawyers) writing in "what if" clauses that essentially keep most doors open; signed contract or otherwise. The rumoured "agreement" between Nick and BAR is indicative of the direction they are going, which amounts to a 12 month-per-year silly season.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1402126)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Jenson's hints in the news conference this afternoon - I think we'll see a deal done and he'll stay at BAR.

I had previously thought Frank would be insistent on keeping him, but I think he may now believe the best bet is to sell Jenson to BAR and Nick to BMW.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1402223)   #5
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I had previously thought Frank would be insistent on keeping him, but I think he may now believe the best bet is to sell Jenson to BAR and Nick to BMW.
[emphasis added]
I must confess I haven't been keeping abreast of this situation, but I'd presumed it would be an either/or decision: if BAR buy Jenson out of his Williams contract, then Williams would keep Heidfeld.

If Williams do sell both on, who would they be looking to put in the second race seat? Pizzonia? Rosberg? BMW would have to offer a fair pile of cash to make either of these a more attractive option than keeping hold of Nick, IMO.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1402250)   #6
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are indeed all looking forward to seeing that bl***y first domino falling such that we see the others finding their place.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1402253)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore
I must confess I haven't been keeping abreast of this situation, but I'd presumed it would be an either/or decision: if BAR buy Jenson out of his Williams contract, then Williams would keep Heidfeld.

If Williams do sell both on, who would they be looking to put in the second race seat? Pizzonia? Rosberg? BMW would have to offer a fair pile of cash to make either of these a more attractive option than keeping hold of Nick, IMO.

But we know Nick has signed for BMW for 2007, which makes selling him a good idea.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1402306)   #8
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If Williams do indeed sell on both drivers could this finally be a chance for a certain Mr Davidson to get a shoe in at Williams? He is British so it may help Frank with the sponsors, although I accept that Button has a higher "image value" Come on Rennen...tell us whats going on!
Old 8 Sep 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1402312)   #9
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
But we know Nick has signed for BMW for 2007, which makes selling him a good idea.
Precisely; I thought Williams' willingness to let Nick go implied that they had decided not to sell Button--not that they were going to let both go.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see Davidson given the drive, and giving a seat to a tester / back of the grid race driver wouldn't be without precedent at Williams...
Old 8 Sep 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1402326)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Precisely; I thought Williams' willingness to let Nick go implied that they had decided not to sell Button--not that they were going to let both go.

But that wasn't a willingness to let him go - this is a deal for after his Williams contract ends and which they could do nothing to stop.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1402423)   #11
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would the fact that Jenson has made it fairly clear that he now wants to stay where he is have an affect on Franks decision? By that I mean would having someone in the team environment that doesnt want to be there be the best thing for the team as a whole or do these guys just get on with it regardless?
And what if the situation is no Jenson and no Nick for next year - who then??
There is a decision that obviously needs to be made regarding Klein and Luizzi - could Williams get one of these guys through the ties with Cosworth next year perhaps?
Old 9 Sep 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1402433)   #12
Schultz
Rookie

Schultz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
would the fact that Jenson has made it fairly clear that he now wants to stay where he is have an affect on Franks decision? By that I mean would having someone in the team environment that doesnt want to be there be the best thing for the team as a whole or do these guys just get on with it regardless?
And what if the situation is no Jenson and no Nick for next year - who then??
There is a decision that obviously needs to be made regarding Klein and Luizzi - could Williams get one of these guys through the ties with Cosworth next year perhaps?
Well Button was where he didnt want to be this year.
Old 9 Sep 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1402435)   #13
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it is quite amasing (amusing) that there is so much controversy over JB...

All engines are new for next year (except Minardi but they don't count)
All chassis ditto
It is a complete unknown ?

I don't think it will matter where he is next year...

DKGandBH
Old 9 Sep 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1402445)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
I think it is quite amasing (amusing) that there is so much controversy over JB...

All engines are new for next year (except Minardi but they don't count)
All chassis ditto
It is a complete unknown ?

I don't think it will matter where he is next year...

DKGandBH

I agree, except for the bit about Minardi...And *late breaking* news is that Jenson Button also signed a contract to drive the School bus for Round Rock ISD? Can anyone confirm this
Old 9 Sep 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1402453)   #15
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Contracts are more sophisticated each year it seems with drivers (or driver agents/lawyers) writing in "what if" clauses that essentially keep most doors open; signed contract or otherwise.
It is just too easy to always blame the lawyers. They work hard and barely have time to post on discussion forum . The problem with JB (and possibly in the BMW/JV situation) is more that it has become normal in f1 not to honour a contract).