Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jan 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1495294)   #1
Jason Whittaker
Rookie

Jason Whittaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Thorn quits Super Cheap Auto

Just reading through some business news: Bob Thorn has quit today as the managing director of Super Cheap Auto. He's pursuing "personal interests".

Thorn, as you'd know, is a long-time V8 Supercar supporter, former driver, and the man behind the naming-rights sponsorships of Paul Weel Racing and the Bathurst 1000.

There's no immediate impact on those arrangements obviously, which are in the middle of multi-year deals. But you'd hope the new guy shares Bob's motorsport passion into the future. And I wonder if his personal interests involve getting back into racing on a day-to-day basis?
Old 5 Jan 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1495296)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Thorn resigns

Bob Thorne has resigned as Chairman of Super Cheap Auto. I wonder what it will mean to the continuing sponsorship of the PWR team and sponsorship of Bathurst in the future.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1495299)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Jason, didn't refresh before i posted. GTR please lock this thread.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1495352)   #4
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The new chief steps up from Chief Financial Officer - would think the sponsorship would need to stack up.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1495354)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this is a little odd... the SMH announced that Mr Thorn was 'retiring'.....

If you look at the growth numbers, the chain is doing very well, with sales improving significantly over previous years, as more and more stores join the group. Except when you go a'diggin... and find that the year on year sales of original stores is going backwards (7.7% in NZ) or pretty flat here in Oz....

This suggests a business that isnt really growing at all.. in the sense that the baseline sales from original stores are regressing.... not much point opening new stores regularly if the Y2 results arent significantly better than Y1.

More curious too is the appointment of the beancounter to the hotseat!!! Scary stuff

The PWR relationship was handled by Mr Thorn personally... I would be curious to see if SCA are getting a return on their investment... or indeed if they are able to measure the success of their motorsport sponsorships given they clutter the media world with Steve Lenda, magazine/catalog and radio advertising.... too much input, difficult to determine purchase intent from each of the different stimuli.........
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1495364)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I think this is a little odd... the SMH announced that Mr Thorn was 'retiring'.....

If you look at the growth numbers, the chain is doing very well, with sales improving significantly over previous years, as more and more stores join the group. Except when you go a'diggin... and find that the year on year sales of original stores is going backwards (7.7% in NZ) or pretty flat here in Oz....

This suggests a business that isnt really growing at all.. in the sense that the baseline sales from original stores are regressing.... not much point opening new stores regularly if the Y2 results arent significantly better than Y1.

More curious too is the appointment of the beancounter to the hotseat!!! Scary stuff

The PWR relationship was handled by Mr Thorn personally... I would be curious to see if SCA are getting a return on their investment... or indeed if they are able to measure the success of their motorsport sponsorships given they clutter the media world with Steve Lenda, magazine/catalog and radio advertising.... too much input, difficult to determine purchase intent from each of the different stimuli.........
old habits die hard GTR, bean counters dont lose their beans
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1495365)   #7
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that SuperCheap's share price dropped about 30c today. I theorised about why it was so, but Bob stepping down from Chairman of the group cancels out my theories.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1495370)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

Half yearly results out, share price down, Bob Thorn retires.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1495371)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
I saw that SuperCheap's share price dropped about 30c today. I theorised about why it was so, but Bob stepping down from Chairman of the group cancels out my theories.
You would like to think the much anticipated official announcement about Mr McConville joining SCAR wouldnt hurt the price that much
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1495382)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, the town where the old man work's their is a SCA store and is more emptier than a large tub of ice cream on christmas day. They are getting more expensive and with rival companies such as Repco lowing prices and giving more bang for buck that is why SCA is losing ground in the finacial market.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1495395)   #11
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, Bob was the CEO and not the Chairman. There is a big difference.

The SCA business is bigger than any one individual, even Bob Thorn.

Bob has done very well out of the public listing of SCA, check out their prospectusfor the Top 20 Shareholders list.

You can't knock Bob Thorn for what he has done in driving the growth of SCA over many years. He is one of my business heros.

The SCA business wil continue to go from stength to strength under the new CEO.

I don't own SCA shares (but wish I had brought at listing).
Old 5 Jan 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1495398)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I agree with you Sol, but the market seems also concerned with year on year growth on comparable stores not being particularly strong

The issue becomes painful when the outlets reach saturation stage, when growth cannot come from new stores, and there must be significant extra sales out of the existing network....

Arguably SCA is already workinga round this by venturing into the camping stores... to keep the growth numbers tickling, while not actually enjoying a vision to develop the stores they have already....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Jan 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1495457)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lenda

That Steve Lenda living next door would be enough to bring the strongest to tears....heres hopeing the new beancounter-lead Supercheap continues to support Motorsport
Old 5 Jan 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1495491)   #14
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of months ago I met someone who told me that Thorn was going to get pushed off the board, I thought at the time "yeah right" but look at this hey!!!
Old 5 Jan 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1495814)   #15
cavvy
Veteran

Succinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Well, the town where the old man work's their is a SCA store and is more emptier than a large tub of ice cream on christmas day. They are getting more expensive and with rival companies such as Repco lowing prices and giving more bang for buck that is why SCA is losing ground in the finacial market.
Thanks Greg, sure beats buying the Financial Review.

Can you analyse Repco next for me, ta !
Old 6 Jan 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1495967)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol
Firstly, Bob was the CEO and not the Chairman. There is a big difference.

The SCA business is bigger than any one individual, even Bob Thorn.

Bob has done very well out of the public listing of SCA, check out their prospectusfor the Top 20 Shareholders list.

You can't knock Bob Thorn for what he has done in driving the growth of SCA over many years. He is one of my business heros.

The SCA business wil continue to go from stength to strength under the new CEO.

I don't own SCA shares (but wish I had brought at listing).
The SuperCheap business may not be any bigger than any individual, but to the average person, Bob Thorn was fairly proactive and prominent as the face of SuperCheap....even the best of my recollection of NZ TV ads don't ever spring Steve Ellery or his race car for mind. Even Greg Murphy hasn't really featured, and certainly not the team mate that was never meant... errrr, it was always Steve and Bob. Hopefully Steve continues as he is very funny.
Based on his proactive stance, Bob will be hard to replace as not only was he sharp as a businessman, he was also extremely personable. And, no, you can't knock him at all.

At the share price peak, I am reliably told that he had AUS$30 million in shares. One could live on dividends I am sure.

The future direction of the company shall be interesting to see. I am always impressed with their variety and store layout
Old 6 Jan 2006, 05:57 (Ref:1495984)   #17
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Sponsorship

So do we know what effect (if any) this will have on SCA sponsorship for the 1000??
Old 6 Jan 2006, 06:49 (Ref:1495998)   #18
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the >>>$27 million Bob Thorn is investing 05-06 into BCF ( BOATING, CAMPING, FISHING) chain of sports stores? totally seperate from motorsport, is that owned by Thorn himself or by SCA?

A lot of QLD fishing tackle stores are a bit worried about this chain store onslaught to their business!
Old 6 Jan 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1496041)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SCA I would think, as SCA already have interests in that field.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1496042)   #20
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any CEO that puts himself in the ads is not thinking about the long term well being of the business...if he doesn't plan on being there for the long term.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1496055)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

I think CEO's actually need to take a more proactive stance in marketing their companies. Besides, Bob may never have envisaged what has happened
Old 6 Jan 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1496065)   #22
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BCF business is a paert of Super Cheap Auto Limited, not Bob Thorn's personally.

The two things that I really admire about Bob and Reg Rowe (the founder of Super Cheap), is that Thorn had the vision and drive to build the business from a few stores to a market leader in a relatively short space of time, and that Reg Rowe was smart enough to let Thorn drive the business and give him the control and support he needed to do it.

I think it is coming to light that Bob Thorn has probably masde the sort of mistakes many CEOs of newly listed companies make - disappointing the market.

After successfully listing the company, Bob may have decided his feels his job is done and it is time for someone else to take over whilst he enjoys the fruits of his hard labours.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1496083)   #23
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Sol, apparently they're not "friends" outside, they may not even really like each other, but Reg was smart enough to just let Thorn alone to do his job, being on a the stockmarket though and things change significantly.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1496087)   #24
team drinkalot
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
team drinkalot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not surprised of the sales downturn. I used to shop there but I quickly realised that they sell mostly crap, it is supercheap JUNK.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1496143)   #25
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by team drinkalot
I am not surprised of the sales downturn. I used to shop there but I quickly realised that they sell mostly crap, it is supercheap JUNK.
And expensive too, $12 for a pair of working gloves? they should be either 5 or 6 bucks.