Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2002, 16:20 (Ref:258232)   #1
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geoff Willis says BAR well behind F1 world!

WILLIS FIRES BAR WARNING - www.itv-f1.com

New BAR technical director Geoffrey Willis says the team is well behind the rest of the Formula 1 world.

Willis, who joined BAR last month after 12 years with Williams, has taken stock of the resources at his fingertips and believes the team has a lot of work to do to catch up with the opposition.

He said: "The positives include good team motivation, good communication and a positive approach, but there's a lot of work to be done because technically we are behind.

"Most issues are relevant to technical design quality. We have the people and the resources but we need to point them in the right direction.

"The car is behind the times. I don't think there has been a lot of understanding of development in F1 over the past four or five years, when the opposition has got a lot better."

Willis explained that there were structural issues to be addressed as well as problems surrounding weight distribution, centre of gravity and deficiencies in aerodynamic performance.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! THIS IS MORE BAD NEWS FOR THE BAR TEAM WHICH ALREADY HAS ENOUGH PROBLEMS!!
GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE JACQUES!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 16:44 (Ref:258253)   #2
icu_jo
Rookie

icu_jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jv is a quality driver and me = fan!
bit of a soft spot tho for BAR - they gave me wrk experience last yr and a wicked crowd - also luurve the HQ!

best case senerio therefore: BAR show us what ther're all capable of (specially with that budget!) and Mr Villeneuve to hang in with them - but drop the attitude and co-operate with the commercial dept!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 16:50 (Ref:258259)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that was all obvious after the last few years... Especially this year, where they were so sure to be headed in the right direction, only to produce a car that rivals the Minardi. Honda haven't helped either...

The good news is that they now have technical director that (hopefully) knows what the right direction is and can begin to steer the team in that direction.

As for JV....If I were him, I would have taken that seat at Renault...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Apr 2002, 16:55 (Ref:258264)   #4
icu_jo
Rookie

i think that he would have found him self with a slightly lighter pay packet if he went to Renault. Less money therefore to buy 19yr old ballet dancers named ellie....
Old 12 Apr 2002, 17:00 (Ref:258268)   #5
icu_jo
Rookie

.....or sorry has she hit the big 20 yet?!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 17:01 (Ref:258269)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If JV ever has time to read the posts on this site he might develop a complex. It is true. He is stuck with a slow car and a weak motor. He will not have many options though. Does anyone know what kind of offer he had a Renault? I am sure at the time BAR seemed the more prudent choice. After all Benniton was fighing Minardi for a huge part of the season.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 17:49 (Ref:258299)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When JV had to decide between BAR and Benetton, Benetton was fighting BAR for 4th place. Renault's performance last year was probably some consolation to him, but I wonder how he feels now?

Anyway, what do expect Willis to say? He's only confirming what everyone else was thinking. At least he's not lying. Now he's just got to help clear things up.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:33 (Ref:258374)   #8
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
yeah i suppose it does have a good side....at least BAR has someone there now who can tell them that they are wayyyy off track and start putting them in the right direction...however I don't see BAR challenging the big boys for another 2 or 3 years...JV should go to Renault win a couple titles with them for 2003/04 then come back to BAR and win 05/06....well that's what would happen in my perfect world of course...
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:57 (Ref:258391)   #9
Daytona Donald
Rookie

Daytona Donald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
willis is only stating what dave richards would expect him to say! bar are finally going to make that move forwards i think, but we won't see the results for quite awhile!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:00 (Ref:258394)   #10
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by icu_jo
i think that he would have found him self with a slightly lighter pay packet if he went to Renault. Less money therefore to buy 19yr old ballet dancers named ellie....
Ok I would like to sum up once and for all why Jacques Villeneuve gets paid as much as he does. It's similar to why Michael Schumacher gets paid as much as he does (the richest man in all of sports)...besides the fact that Jacques is the only other driver currently in F1 with a WDC under his belt (that means he has shown he is supremely talented so worth the money on it's own) but also he has tremedous market value...much like Shumacher (Ferrari and BAR are making a mint off these guys despite their saleries believe you me!!!)

Think about it people! Villeneuve is one of the most recognized names in F1 (behind perhaps Schumacher and Senna) people loved his father and most of those people love Jacques too....so by a team signing Villenuve they not only get his superior talent but they also buy the rights to use his name on all the merchandise they sell. Think about how many hats, flags, keychains, bags, umbrellas, posters etc, etc, etc BAR would have sold without Villeneve's name and face plastered all over them????? Just think! Let's face it not many people go rushing after Oliver Panis gear!
Any other teams would die to have JV racing for them and will still offer him huge contracts because of the attention and extra sales he brings to a team...they have to do this because they know they would be robbing the poor guy blindif they didn't!
We know this is a business guys and drivers are not only paid by their performance but their image as well. And JV is worth every penny in both areas...just get him in a good car and you'll all be reminded of that!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:08 (Ref:258404)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
BAT like him as well for their Lucky Strike fags.
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:09 (Ref:258405)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
BTW icu_jo, how did you manage to get work exp. with BAR?
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:12 (Ref:258409)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Oh yeah of course that too Nich......a name like JV and a previous WDC also draws in big sponsers for a team!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:48 (Ref:258440)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What else do you expect from Oastler - he's only ever designed 'customer' formula cars before....they should have fired him after the first car,let alone let him loose on two more....
Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:54 (Ref:258447)   #15
icu_jo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
BAT like him as well for their Lucky Strike fags.
yeh - gd for the image. Can't imagine a nice guy like trulli for ex., or even panis, really suits the lucky strike bad boy image like villeneuve does. i reckon the only other one that BAT would go for would be Montoya
Old 12 Apr 2002, 23:04 (Ref:258541)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like Teddy I reckon that this is good news. Willis is in there making a go of things, telling it like it is and recognising the problems. This is good, compared to the usual "we are improving all the time, we are moving in the right direction, it's Honda's fault" bull**** that we are used to from BAR.

I've got a hunch on Webber being at BAR next year. Just a hunch. I had a similar hunch at the start of last year on Raikkonen being at McLaren for '02.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 02:03 (Ref:258606)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Webber still has a Renault contract its unlikely that he'll go to BAR. I still think Honda stould eitehr do something risky in the hope of getting a good engine, or duck out of the kitchen in which they seem not to be able to stand the heat. Compared to Toyota, let alone Ferrari and BMW, they are an embarrassment. Jordan and BAR are both having otherwise competant efforts scuppered by weak engines, how else can great racers like JV and Fisichella have no points yet?
Old 13 Apr 2002, 03:25 (Ref:258631)   #18
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Like Teddy I reckon that this is good news. Willis is in there making a go of things, telling it like it is and recognising the problems. This is good, compared to the usual "we are improving all the time, we are moving in the right direction, it's Honda's fault" bull**** that we are used to from BAR
Finaly...whe finaly get the truth from BAR....and we finaly see what Jacques really pushed to score points in the last 2 seasons.....The engine and the chassy...are ****....not up to the challenge.....too bad they did not make engineering changes earlyer....
Old 13 Apr 2002, 03:30 (Ref:258636)   #19
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Areo Package....

And now we understand Jacques comment in Autralia...the he was amazed that they did not have a good areo package after 3 years.....all his comments where the only way he had to try and get changes to the team. Since that control was in Reynards hands...and he was not listening to the team at all.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 17:48 (Ref:259179)   #20
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Looks like Willis may have put a few aero touches on the BAR already...JV 10th in quals today!! (although you could see he was being really agressive too) ...and as I said in another post the Honda imporvement couldn't have hurt either
Old 14 Apr 2002, 00:43 (Ref:259445)   #21
icu_jo
Rookie

careful - i don't wanna get 2 xcited bout it - may jinx the lad.
altho - we all know wat will happen - he'll have a g8 start, but then one by one lose places and eventually give up blaming it on hydrolics or something ...blah blah ...we all know the story