Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Mar 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1539661)   #1
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Midland Hills Training Day

Many thanks to all concerned with the organisation of an excellent day at Clifton upon Teme and then Shelsley Walsh on 5 March. A pity one of our number (you know who you are) couldn't contain his excitement in the village hall!
Seriously, though, a great deal of work from Midland Automobile Club, Midland Rescue, Doc Dave, and many others made it a damn good day in spite of the cold. An excellent way to start the hill climb season.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1539699)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Also like to thank all the gang for the Midlands Hills training. Made up for the loss of the Shakedown Sprint. Haven't got any hillclimbs on my agenda this year, but I'm now having a serious rethink. Lovely venue, great crowd, excellent lunch (thanks you ladies).
Old 7 Mar 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1539786)   #3
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Midland Hills Training Day

As the Lead Trainer glad you guys & gals enjoyed the day. I did and learnt from you guys.

I would like to thank every one who helped, wont name them in case I miss someone out.

I must say a big thank you to Roger Thomas of the MAC though for all his work in booking the hall and arranging everthing I asked for.

I found Scot Morans bit on the Hans Device excellent.

Next year 1st Sunday in March at Loton Park.

If you've got any thoughts on what you would like us to cover please pm me.

Trevor
Old 7 Mar 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1539895)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a really good day, well done to the organisers and special thanks to the club for an exellent lunch. I'm disappointed that Pike failed to ignite himself in the style of his predecessor as we were promised excitement! (Actually, well done, Kev, that was very well done, don't be surprised if we call you Guy Fawkes from now on).

It was very good of Scott to make the journey especially to show us the HANS, and I found it very interesting being inside a well fitting helmet while it was being removed, even if it meant I couldn't hear that part of the lecture.

Thanks all, and what a superb turn-out. A veritable sea of orange, including several new recruits.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1540270)   #5
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it may not be a surprise to learn that I never intended to torch myself! Besides which we were a tad short of petrol so would have been a waste! It was a good day, roll on the season proper.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1540300)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike
Besides which we were a tad short of petrol so would have been a waste!
LOL. Conserving resources. Roger will have been pleased!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1540966)   #7
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As one of the novices I can say that it was very useful and gave an insight into why, sometimes, it appears, from a spectators point of view, that the immediate response is 'slow' or, should I say, measured. I attended because I am willing to be an 'available if needed' person at SW or MAC events and felt that some knowledge is better than none.
I can recommend these training days to anyone who has more than a passing interest in speed events - might there be scope or interest for a one day course with demonstrations just for people who want to know what the marshals and the other course controllers do ????
In passing, reference the attendance, there were about 80 including we 12 novices.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1540979)   #8
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I was the chap showing people round the rescue unit and was pleased with the response from everyone there.
Hope i wasn't too boring for you.

A one day course with demo's sounds like a good idea to me i'm all for chopping something up and if people learn something about what marshalling is all about more the better.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1541677)   #9
Pike
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
LOL. Conserving resources. Roger will have been pleased!
Still used all the petrol though
Old 9 Mar 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1541929)   #10
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike
Well it may not be a surprise to learn that I never intended to torch myself! Besides which we were a tad short of petrol so would have been a waste! It was a good day, roll on the season proper.
Wot No 'barbecued marshal'? Shame on you Trev! It's not a proper training day without someone on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You better give your assistants some more training before next year........
(ignore the greeting!)

Regards from 'A previous Victim'!

PS. Pike, sorry mate you can't use that signature. I've got a previous claim!!!
see the link http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/77.html
Old 9 Mar 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1542000)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLoads
I am willing to be an 'available if needed' person at SW or MAC events and felt that some knowledge is better than none.
Anytime you want to play, just stop by the hut at signing on time and you'll be made very welcome - there's never too many marshals in my book, and if we look small in number, don't wait to be asked, just say hello. Training continues on post too, so nobody should ever feel lost. We're all learning all the time, and the day I think I know it all is the day I'm suffering delusions!
Old 9 Mar 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1542037)   #12
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am always at SW having, usually, spent Thursday and Friday clearing the paths and steps plus raking the track edges to give as much tarmac as possible available to the drivers. Other jobs seem to appear, as if by magic, to get the track etc ready.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1542054)   #13
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLoads
I am always at SW having, usually, spent Thursday and Friday clearing the paths and steps plus raking the track edges to give as much tarmac as possible available to the drivers. Other jobs seem to appear, as if by magic, to get the track etc ready.
some of us are still fully aware of the effort that you (and many others un-named) put into the upkeep and continued running of Shelsley. And what a superb job you do, the Hill has always looked in pristeen condition.

Quote:
there's never too many marshals in my book
maybe there are, at least, that's how my wife read the letter!!.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1542082)   #14
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
maybe there are, at least, that's how my wife read the letter!!.
that doesn't read correctly, it was not a letter from Woolley that she received.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1542168)   #15
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lamb
PS. Pike, sorry mate you can't use that signature. I've got a previous claim!!!
see the link http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/77.html

Not to mention the fact that it was I that started the fires
Old 10 Mar 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1542225)   #16
Pike
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Not to mention the fact that it was I that started the fires
Only a couple of times then your stick fell apart!! My bucket was still intact at the end of it all!! Apologies Jim, new tag line about to be done.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1542321)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
some of us are still fully aware of the effort that you (and many others un-named) put into the upkeep and continued running of Shelsley. And what a superb job you do, the Hill has always looked in pristeen condition.
Yes, that's very true. We're the visible side of the organisation, at least to the public, but there are plenty of other people who do a lot of good work which is appreciated, and it's not said often enough.

Some of the developments that are going on are looking good, and even minor details have already been spotted - Crossing like their new table, for instance! On the training day, there were several faces spotted doing unfamiliar tasks, and the thanks at the top of this thread extend to everyone involved.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1543254)   #18
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, that's very true. We're the visible side of the organisation, at least to the public, but there are plenty of other people who do a lot of good work which is appreciated, and it's not said often enough.

Having been on one or two working parties pre season I for one realise just how much there is to do prior to a season start and a lot of that needs to be done prior to every meeting so a "Big up" goes to all involved with the preparation of the hill which is looking just fine and dandy....