Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Apr 2003, 18:39 (Ref:575812)   #1
johneturbo
Rookie

johneturbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would this cracked windsreen pass

scrutineering? its not in the line of my vision and out the the steering wheel line what do you guys think

Last edited by johneturbo; 21 Apr 2003 at 18:43.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 21:20 (Ref:575920)   #2
egomeister
Rookie

egomeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No idea about your question - sorry! Its a 205 isn't it? What do you compete in?
Old 21 Apr 2003, 21:27 (Ref:575923)   #3
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd remove the arrow.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 00:37 (Ref:576032)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You call that a crack? British scrutineers must be anal.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 05:27 (Ref:576118)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect it would pass but then again wouldn't it be better to replace it anyway?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:48 (Ref:576224)   #6
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your not sure change it. Its hard to tell from the photo how far it goes up, but it will be pointed out and its not worth being stopped from racing for something you think you should change.
Lee Janotta unlike in most European countries and over the pond here they check the car inside and out. They do more than kick the tyres.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 13:37 (Ref:576468)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by brickkicker
Lee Janotta unlike in most European countries and over the pond here they check the car inside and out. They do more than kick the tyres.
Quite a shame. That must send budgets through the roof.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:53 (Ref:576548)   #8
brickkicker
Veteran

Quite a shame??? Why? Because we don't want any unnecessary injuries. Its an expensive game and anyone who wants to play has to pay.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:35 (Ref:576593)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we are being somewhat tough on Lee there. To my best understanding the US is as stringent with its safety requirements as the UK. Especially when one considers the litigious nature of that country. I suspect that's why there are so many yellows in Nascar and Indy etc.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:48 (Ref:576830)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Rather elitist attitude there, brickkicker. But it keeps out that "undesirable element", huh?

Actually, Peter, there are quite a few reasons for all the yellows. Really, they're the only possible way to clean up an accident on an oval. Likewise on street courses, since we can't afford those huge cranes you see at Monaco and Melbourne. But on road courses, they're mostly just used to bunch up the field, and to allow time for commercials. Kind of contrived, I'll admit.

As for US scrutineering standards... Actually, the waivers are usually upheld in the courts here. In the pro series, sure, everything needs to be in top condition for the race, but... Well, lemme put it this way.

http://www.shadybowl.com/photos/images/sb81.jpg

If he got that bumper secured, he'd be ready for the next race.

In road racing, standards are a bit higher, but you can still see lots of cars with mildly cracked windshields, crumpled fenders or home-made spoilers racing in the Improved Touring or other lower club racing classes.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:33 (Ref:576904)   #11
brickkicker
Veteran

No I don't think it elitists at all. The rules are the rules for everyone not just the top teams. Everyone who races has to appreciate the costs of competing

Quote:
In the pro series, sure, everything needs to be in top condition for the race
Why? are you saying if you cant afford it you don't need to change it?? Bit of a stupid way of looking at it.

As for the picture isn't that banger racing, if it is then there is no comparison.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:40 (Ref:576916)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

It's elitist if it's there to keep out the riffraff. It's the rule I'm arguing with, not the application of it.

And yeah, that's from a Beater Stock race. I was using it as an extreme example. But the case is, you can find some pretty well-worn vehicles at the back of most sportsman grids here that wouldn't get past UK regs. That's the upside of the sport being considered a hobby rather than a career.

The downside, of course, is that it's damn near impossible to find a third-party sponsor at anything but the highest levels.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:47 (Ref:576925)   #13
brickkicker
Veteran

Its not there to keep anyone out, they are there for safety reasons.
You can find 'well worn' cars in the UK but most are still well looked after all the person looking after it is generally the one say in it when its on the track.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:58 (Ref:576950)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest if you need to ask the question - will it get through scrute - change it!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:576955)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Rather elitist attitude there, brickkicker. But it keeps out that "undesirable element", huh?
Well no. It keeps out the unsafe element. Racing is dangerous enough without allowing people to take unnecessary risks.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:41 (Ref:577047)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh well. Still can't see what difference a little crack in the windshield is going to make.

Forgive me, I just get rather steamed anytime I think how much this sport actually costs. It's absolutely insane.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 22 Apr 2003 at 20:44.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:55 (Ref:577095)   #17
brickkicker
Veteran

Well if your travelling at high speed and the screen fails what will happen then? The driver may lose control and hit a wall or another driver. This is just to big a risk to take. And as ss_collins said if you need to ask you already know the answer.
I totally agree that motor racing costs are far to high but you should not put a price on your own (and that of other) safety.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:03 (Ref:577335)   #18
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At some of our meetings now vehicle/bike scrutineering is random examination and when you sign in you sign a slip stating that your vehicle meets all current regulations for your class.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 06:27 (Ref:577638)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Blimey,

I can see the philosophy behind that. It makes every individual responsible for his/her actions. Trouble is you need to be more stringent in your policing.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:43 (Ref:577799)   #20
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the reasons for this is if your vehicle passes scrutineering and then has some type of failure there is always the chance someone will consider the scrutineer liable for the incident and say why didn't you find it,with signing a disclaimer there is no comeback on the scrutineer,it is up to the individual to make sure they comply,some people will always take shortcuts and they are generally the ones who get picked for the "random" checks.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:52 (Ref:577811)   #21
brickkicker
Veteran

This is what I meant about other countries not taking the same responsibility as we do over here. You have to remember your not just looking at his car for his benefit but for the other competitors. As for liability, the driver is solely responsible for his car scrutineers cannot be held responsible for any failures (its in the blue book somewhere).
Old 23 Apr 2003, 11:22 (Ref:577880)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aircraft Standards

Believe the aircraft industry has higher standards than racing cars and this one seem s to have passed scrutineering
Attached Thumbnails
iwindscreen crack.jpg  
Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:07 (Ref:579552)   #23
johneturbo
Rookie

johneturbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanx for the replys.. picked up a windscreen from the local breakers £25 so not to costly..just hope this one lasts more than 2 races
275 GTB-4 that is a nasty crack
all
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:39 (Ref:579950)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Ah, well, that's a nice end to it then.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:25 (Ref:579985)   #25
PDL
Rookie

PDL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, I fitted a brand new screen for Donnington and mine's chipped as well now after Brands, though luckily its tiny and passable. £25 seems like a bargain. Do the screens come out easily then from cars then? I must remember that. Top tip for screens!

Good luck for Snetterton. I may be spectating, but I won't be competing.

Phil Law