Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1001690)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 on Playstation

Later this month Sony launch their latest addition of their F1 series.

There have been good and not so good additions of this series down the years and since this hasn't been brought about for a while I thought I would start a new thread

F1 ON PLAYSTATION, DISCUSS......................................

My personel favourite in EA sports F1 2001
Least favourite, either Sonys F1 2002 or F1 98.

Was 2003 anygood?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1001706)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The one i enjoyed the most, F1 from Psygnosis (1995/96).
After that i haven't really enjoyed an F1 game on the PSX or Playstation 2 ranging from slightly dissappointing (F1 98) to utterly abysmal (F1 Career Challenge)...

Have only rented F1 2003, not much difference to 2002, which sucked, the suckiest sucking game only surpassed by F1 Career Challenge, which was the suckiest of them all.
Looked like it was made by a bunch of hermaphrodite monkeys on crack. Clearly shows that EA just doesn't give a **** about the fans. All the more frustrating as their PC versions are pure gems.

What was i saying again?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1001725)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 and F1 '97 were the best, the original Psygnosis games.

Then they handed the development over to some nobodies and F1 '98 turned out to be disgraceul, a backward step.

The next good one was F1 2001 on PS2.

All EA games are rubbish as a rule.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1001986)   #4
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Except Medal Of Honor games, and Freedom Fighters.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1001992)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sony's new F1 game looks like a rehash of 2003. Which was a rehash of 2002. Which was a rehash of 2001.

The original ones....Formula One, and Formula One '97 are still the best.

F1C on the PC is awesome though
Old 13 Jun 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1002669)   #6
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 and F197 are the best on PS1. F198 was absolutely shocking and I've never bought an F1 title on the PS1 since.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1004179)   #7
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F1 and F1 '97 were the best, the original Psygnosis games.

Then they handed the development over to some nobodies and F1 '98 turned out to be disgraceul, a backward step.

The next good one was F1 2001 on PS2.

Agree 100%. I found every F1 game on the PSX after F1 97 a little disappointing. I sold mine PSX in 2000, so I never got to play F1-2001.

F1-97 even had Murray Walker & Martin Brundle commentating. I can still hear it now

"HE'S OFF!!! --ON THE GREEN STUFF!!"

"That's grass, Murray"
Old 15 Jun 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1004199)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do remember the Psygnosis games on Playstation being rather good, but thats it. I haven't looked at a console since I started racing on my PC. Theres just so much more to offer on the PC that the consoles can't.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1005089)   #9
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...like constant setting and driver problems...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1005117)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PC's can offer a lot.......but not significantly more than a console to put you through constant hell as the computer freezes for the fiftieth time and the game decides it doesn't want to load anymore and the computer shuts down and a nuclear holocaust sets in.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1005342)   #11
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Sony's new F1 game looks like a rehash of 2003. Which was a rehash of 2002. Which was a rehash of 2001.
Yeah, which really ****es me off because a bit like IndyCar Series 2005, I can see myself buying it because it has online play. Damn you, Sony!

Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
The original ones....Formula One, and Formula One '97 are still the best.
Absolutely. I don't think I spent less than two hours a day on Formula One for the first month after its release... happy days those were. *runs off to dig out F1 and F1'97*
Old 15 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1005343)   #12
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to see people rate F1 '97 so highly. That was the best IMO. The only problem was was that it was a little too easy, plus your tyres would go off bang on the half way mark instead of wearing down. Still, the best around if a little overshadowed these days in terms of graphics and speed.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1005651)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking of F1 '97 - did any of you guys find this? When you had a pad in port two, you could hold down select and use the buttons to move the camera about like in the the orig F1 - it triangle would move forward through the cars etc. Seems like I was the only one that knew about it!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1005695)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with nearly everyone here. The first Psygnosis F1 game and of course F1-'97. I think the former was released in 1996? I remember drooling over the previews in gaming mags and literally ticking down the days to the release date. The level of graphic detail combined with the proper franchise was unprecedented at the time IIRC.

Quote:
PC's can offer a lot.......but not significantly more than a console to put you through constant hell as the computer freezes for the fiftieth time and the game decides it doesn't want to load anymore and the computer shuts down and a nuclear holocaust sets in.
Ahh so it's you that has caused this warm spell is it? Does that mean it's going to start snowing next week?

Last edited by Spudgun; 16 Jun 2004 at 10:49.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1005742)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imiss the murray comment myself-but i finf F12002 ok-if a bit tedious to get all the cards and the interactive pitstops are more luck it seems than skill. graphically they are nice, sounds too.
in the F1 on psx with Murrays comments it was funny how he'd say "oh no its...(and the poorly merged name he'd scream) "
i kept hearing "oh no its... katayama!" "he's off"
it seems the Ai for Katayama was verybad.
hah hah
Old 16 Jun 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1005840)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or the infamous "He's shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car!".
Old 16 Jun 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1005876)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
If you sat still on the track for ages he's say" Oh no, he's stalled!" or something. The commentary was rreally something else back then. Presumably they have James Allen in again for '04? :S
Old 16 Jun 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1005918)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I've just had a race in Formula One, and it's by far the best race I've had against AI in ages. I really forgot just how racey they were.

Battling again Damon Hill and David Couthlard in Rothmans WIlliams Renaults, playing as Nigel Mansell in a McLaren? I think I'll stick to this instead of getting F1 04
Old 16 Jun 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1005957)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 '97 was a great game as was the original F1 game based on the 1995 season. Played both for hours on end and they were immensely enjoyable.

F1 '98 was poor by comparison and I've never got into the EA series as they look good (sorta) but their gameplay is hideous.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1014214)   #20
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got F1 Career Challenge on XBOX the other day and can't believe how you can get a F1 game so wrong. The sound is the worst thing though, every time you steer it seems to drop 10,000 revs! Wtf?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 07:19 (Ref:1014219)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Used to be true, but not any where as much now. With higher spec pcs proliferating and with mods for pc sims coming with all-inclusive installer packages, the problems of fiddling with files and altering things through wordpad or whatever are beginning to recede into the distance. If all you want to do is drive/race, don't waste your money on a cosole or vastly inflated games. The pc is infinitely better.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1014273)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by 00 XR8
I just got F1 Career Challenge on XBOX the other day and can't believe how you can get a F1 game so wrong. The sound is the worst thing though, every time you steer it seems to drop 10,000 revs! Wtf?
Nope, that's a thing called 'auto-lift', and the sad thing is.. you can't turn it off...
Get rid of that game ASAP if you want to remain sane!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1014704)   #23
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Nope, that's a thing called 'auto-lift', and the sad thing is.. you can't turn it off...
Get rid of that game ASAP if you want to remain sane!
I had that for the PS2, unbelievably bad, the sound and handling were horrible, i'm glad to have got rid of it!

Apparently there's a career mode in Formula one 2004 so i'll look forward to trying it out.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 24 Jun 2004 at 15:25.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1030398)   #24
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1'97 was the reason why I bought a Playstation in the first place. Yes, I did know you could watch the other cars with the second controller and sadly I've devoted many an hour to these virtual drivers (can it really be sadder than some of the many hours I've watched 'real' racing? OK, yes ) I must have spent months of my life fine tuning the car setups. Nothing on PS or PS2 has been as anoraky (read great) since. In the recent titles, you can usually run the same settings at most tracks. Terrible.

I'll probably end up buying the new Sony game, think it's great, beat it, and feel cheated as usual.

As a newcomer to pc-land what can anyone recommend. I know GPL is it, but I've still no wheel or joypad. Have you played GPL on a keyboard? Scream!!! Beautiful though. What's 'modern' and good? EA's F1 games on the playstation have been a disgrace.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1030444)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EA's F1-Challenge on the PC is great. Tons of Mods to go with it as well.
And buy a wheel!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"