Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:17 (Ref:634415)   #1
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton park 28th June

Who's going to be at Oulton on the 28th June, someone will have to be there to pick us up and dust us off when we've buried ourselves up to our armpits in them blasted barriers!!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:33 (Ref:634432)   #2
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave and I'll be there but we won't know which post(s) until the day. Which Championship are you racing and what number/colour and make are you? Don't forget the nice big gravel traps and tyre walls.

Old 17 Jun 2003, 16:56 (Ref:634529)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
And that will be my first adventure into the world of marshaling as well! I even sacrificied a nice dinner to do it (even it is will be expensive, tacky, pointless.... )
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:37 (Ref:634860)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
And that will be my first adventure into the world of marshaling as well! I even sacrificied a nice dinner to do it (even it is will be expensive, tacky, pointless.... )
Remind us, nearer the time, to look out for you on the Saturday, and providing he's there and they have enough Observers, you should go on Cliff's Tour it's an integral part of the training at Oulton and also all guest marshals are encouraged to go on it.

Last edited by KayBee; 17 Jun 2003 at 20:37.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:634906)   #5
woody148uk
Rookie

woody148uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i will we there
bob u have only paid for the black area so keep off the green bits there ours for sunbathing
ASP hope u enjoy your first meeting
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:50 (Ref:635239)   #6
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Myself and my son will be in F/Renaults No's 8 and 16. We know about the black bits, but Oulton is one of those circuits where compliance is difficult to guarantee.
Was the expensive, tacky and pointless bit the meal or Oulton Park?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:10 (Ref:635260)   #7
woody148uk
Rookie

woody148uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we will give u a wave bob and son good luck enjoy the meeting c u saturday
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:13 (Ref:635263)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking forward to another good day. Anyone know which circuit we are using?

Jim
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:18 (Ref:635268)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Middle sized circuit, i.e hairpin along Lakeside just before frightening left hander
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:32 (Ref:635277)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Middle sized circuit
Ah, sounds like what we call the Island circuit. Good, it is not so often used. It will be interesting to see what people think of the new Knickerbrook section (so far this year I have only been to meetings on the Fosters circuit which omits the chicane.)
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:14 (Ref:635304)   #11
Bob Pearson
Veteran

The previous chicane was a bit silly, so it is hard to see how the new layout will fail to be an improvement.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 11:52 (Ref:635418)   #12
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pearson
The previous chicane was a bit silly, so it is hard to see how the new layout will fail to be an improvement.
I added a laugh for me when a Jag driver mistook the fosters exit as the entrence to the Knickerbrook Chicane
Old 18 Jun 2003, 15:24 (Ref:635619)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pearson
Will Hoy once described it as being laid by a drunkard who was given a tarmac-laying machine. At the same time he said there was story as to why it was called Knickerbrook, but wouldn't explain it on a family show. I've always been baffled by that one.:confused:

Quote:
Was the expensive, tacky and pointless bit the meal or Oulton Park?
The meal, definately!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 15:45 (Ref:635635)   #14
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
At the same time he said there was story as to why it was called Knickerbrook, but wouldn't explain it on a family show. I've always been baffled by that one.:confused:
Most Oulton regulars should be able to explain it to you and you may find out if you do Cliff's Tour meanwhile have you heard of Blaster Bates because he tells a very good corner naming story.

Old 24 Jun 2003, 15:52 (Ref:641574)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there too Bob, watching your every move
Did you mention that you would have the kettle on in your garage for us ten-tenthers to pop round and be sociable?

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 24 Jun 2003 at 15:53.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:50 (Ref:641798)   #16
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Got the Timetable etc. but can someone tell me what ROL Sportscars are?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanx!

Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:53 (Ref:641806)   #17
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Did you mention that you would have the kettle on in your garage for us ten-tenthers to pop round and be sociable?
Ditto for me as well.

Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:54 (Ref:641807)   #18
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Ditto for me as well. Don't know if we're trying the rolled up trouser leg, as identification, though.

Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:47 (Ref:642325)   #19
Bob Pearson
Veteran

I'll speak to the catering manageress about remembering the kettle. We either forget the kettle and have garages with power, or remember the kettle and have no power. If I remember rightly there is power in Oulton's garages.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 14:12 (Ref:643765)   #20
Flying Muppet 2
Rookie

Flying Muppet 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KayBee
[B]Got the Timetable etc. but can someone tell me what ROL Sportscars are?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanx!

I think (by a process of elimination - and not by using the letters R, O and L!) that it is what previously was the AMOC Intermarque Challenge. AMOC dropped the series at the end of last season, but the idea now continues with BARC. Should be spectacular if previous years are anything to go by.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer (sometime), but since I'm still working on getitng Command Approval to attend, that might not happen anyway!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 15:04 (Ref:643818)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying Muppet 2
AMOC dropped the series at the end of last season, but the idea now continues with BARC. Should be spectacular if previous years are anything to go by.[/B]
Motorsport News lists it as 'Intermarque', so I think you're right. That will be fun!

Quote:
I'm still working on getitng Command Approval to attend, that might not happen anyway!
Maybe going to see a musical might not have been such a bad idea........
Old 26 Jun 2003, 18:13 (Ref:643965)   #22
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid point Reg (or Dave);

I've just (5 mins ago) lost the battle, after putting up a valiant final defensive stand and will therefore be assisting with laying a patio instead (not in the biblical sense, obviously). Hurrah.

Maybe see you on the 5th July ....

Old 26 Jun 2003, 18:20 (Ref:643973)   #23
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
Ah, sounds like what we call the Island circuit. Good, it is not so often used. It will be interesting to see what people think of the new Knickerbrook section (so far this year I have only been to meetings on the Fosters circuit which omits the chicane.)
Jim,

I started a thread about the new chicane after the first meeting to use it (BARC - 26 April); unfortunately nobody could be bothered to answer, so I guess no-one has an opinion (unusual for these pages). :confused:

The problems at present seem to be with the MSA - they don't seem to want to sanction the creation of a second marshals post for the 'in' part, nor move any of the flag points, which is just silly. The observer in the existing box cannot possibly get a decent view of any outbraking manoeuvres going on 250 yds away.

Having said that, the views from the bank are quite spectacular, especially from beneath the commentary box. Talk to Dave Kane nicely (who I believe is allocating the Observers) and who knows - perhaps you could start another thread about it on Sunday!!
Old 27 Jun 2003, 20:27 (Ref:645079)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
The observer in the existing box cannot possibly get a decent view of any outbraking manoeuvres going on 250 yds away.
Yes, I did hear some comments to that effect. I shall bring my binoculars (and possibly a pair of radios for the In flag point) just in case.

Jim
Old 29 Jun 2003, 09:46 (Ref:645867)   #25
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a weekend!

Managed to take part in 3 races (greedy I know!). Enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Top marks on the Marshals around the circuit, flagging was top drawer, especially as a lot of drivers seemed intent on having a closer inspection of the barriers, each other and gravel traps. Plus quite a few waved at the end, which hasn't been the case at a few of the circuits I've been to this year..

I was in the Green Ginetta, mostly number 77, sometimes 37.

Whilst we did come up with some stickers for your "badge cadge" I didn't have any sew on badges to hand, but will bring some to Croix, in July, for those who are going to be there.

Thanks for the hard work, there did seem to be a lot of incident on race day and there was a lot of rain on the Test day, (quite similar to last year I think).

Richard (Hollebon) who I think the marshals nominated as Driver of the Day, was a bit embarrassed, but his throttle stuck open and he did all he could to minimise the inevitable (as he was heading in to Old Hall at the time... )

Phil