Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Oct 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1752467)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Racing Series

Yep, we can all add another list of Fantasy Series to look at, because I am starting my own.

My racing series (or the Chatters Racing Series) will consist of 25 rounds, spanned across 5 different continents (Australia, Europe, Asia, North and South America).
Track #1: Picton Race Track

History
After the closure of Catalina Park in Katoomba, there was a void left in the lives of many racers who loved the circuits tricky turns and high speeds. With the lack of mountain tracks in Australia, a group of French enthusiasts started looking for a suitable place to build another track. The relatively small town of Picton in the New South Wales southern highlands was chosen because of its relatively easy access from Sydney and its growing population and economy at the time. Work began on the circuit in July 1978, and was completed in November 1979. Work on the track was very dangerous, with lots of excavation work needed, and the threat of land collapsing, as the track was built on top of the Picton mines, which span under the general area of Picton and its adjoining town of Bargo. On January 1, 1980, the track was officially opened with a meeting of the Australian Touring Car Championship, won by Peter Brock. As a prize, Turn 3 of the track was named after Brock.

The high mountains of the Southern Highlands made the track very challenging and unforgiving, with no room for error, as the only turns that had run off were the final two heading onto the front straight. After a series of horrible accidents, which culminated in 1984, when a Formula Ford driver, David Jenkins, was killed when his car failed to stop for PB Corner prompted the NSW State Government to pass approval for further excavation of the track to provide appropriate run-off at all corners and widening of the track. The track was closed in October 1984 and re-opened in March 1986 with a redesigned PB Corner.

Racing continued normally, with the circuit playing host to rounds of the ATCC, Formula Ford, and many other club events until 1996, when the back straight, which ran directly over a mine shaft, threatened to collapse. The mine shaft, which at that time was disused, was filled in immediately, but the damage was done. The track had to be closed yet again and a new hairpin, back straight and final corner complex was added. The track re-opened in May 1997 and has continued uninterrupted since then.

Lap Of The Track
Running in a clockwise direction, the lap starts with the quick run to the Grand Sweeper. This smooth left hand sweeper is made difficult because it swoops down a hill right at the apex, which understeers the car enormously and forces the drivers to drift right out to the edge of the road. Over the years the turn has seen many rollovers when a driver has taken their mind of the job and dips a wheel into the grass, turning it hard left. With the slope of the hill, the car simply tips over and can roll all the way down the hill to PB Corner. Out of Grand Sweeper drivers must stay alert as they fly down the hill to Courbure Guache, which is a sweeping left hander, still continuing down the hill.

Hard on the brakes into PB Corner, named after the legendary Peter Brock, the steep climb begins up Graham Hill, named for obvious reasons. It is a hard slog up the hill up to Aucun Nom, which translated means "no name". From there the track levels out momentarily until you approach Coal Corner, named after the coal mines surrounding the area. In the early 1980s, when the track was new, coal miners could have their lunch break at a mine and view the racing which could be over 1 kilometre away, such was the spectacular view from the mountains.

Another short climb up to "The Bump" which is a very difficult turn for drivers as it is a blind brow, with a bump in the road right on the apex, which forces drivers out wide to avoid it. Drivers which have hit the bump usually end up on two wheels and into the outside wall. The track then swoops down into Nouveau Hairpin, which means "new hairpin". The track then runs level for the rest of the lap as the drivers go flat out down the back straight and into the Senna Kink which, with it's closeness to the pitlane, has a concrete wall waiting on the outside of the turn for any unsuspecting victim. From there the drivers run up to the CCC, or the Criss Cross Complex, a short series of right and left handers which leads onto the front straight to begin another lap of this daunting, challenging and at some times dangerous circuit.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1752485)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really like it. Problem is turn 1 - looks a bit dangerous considering the pitlane comes out on the outside, meaning not a great deal of run-off. But other than that, fantastic track
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1752633)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first half, from the start to the Bump is really good. Overtaking in Coal Corner must be very exiting. But the safety issues on this track are really worrying, especially the one with the pit building behind the wall at Senna Kink, which is really too much.
You should consider doing something about that in a future version.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1752652)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, think of the Senna Kink as the sweeper at the Adelaide street circuit... flat out, scraping the wall sort of stuff. And the pit building wouldn't be right behind it, it would end before the pit lane comes close to the track there.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1752773)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah but it might be scraping the wall in normal racing, but a technical failure...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1752775)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've edited Chatters' track slightly;

As you can see, I've sort of re-alligned the kink, and altered pit-lane.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1752988)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the original design, you'd get away with the senna kink if you switched the pitlane to the outside.

The entrance either from just on the straight, or the outside mid way around the final corner with a large loop allowing for run-off.

The pit exit rejoin would be just after the apex of the Grand Sweeper.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1753030)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

That edit makes the track really great, martin-1.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1753317)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Here is the official edit, folks. martin, while I do like your edit, you have removed the Senna Kink completely, something which I feel challenges the drivers.

In this edit, the Senna Kink has been moved back, reducing speed and putting further distance between it and the pits, allowing runoff.
Old 3 Nov 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1756732)   #10
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Track #2: Heathrow

"Heathrow is one of those tracks that you can't help but enjoy. You couldn't imagine that what I thought at first sight was a dull track could actually turn out to be quite exciting." -Enzo Ferrari

Welcome to track 2 in the Chatters Racing Series: Heathrow.

History
In the 1930s motorsport in Britian was relatively small. Despite plenty of enthusiasm to build a dedicated circuit, local Governments were reluctant to set aside such a vast amount of money to gain little profit in return. However with the opening of Heathrow Airport in the early '30s racer saw a potential race track, with the airport at that time primarily used for testing.

Designers, with the help of Enzo Ferrari, originally created a series of straights running along the runways, similar to the then unthought of Silverstone circuit from the '50s. In 1938 the track held its first race. However racers claimed this was too boring, and in 1942 the track was closed in what was expected to be some simple redesigning to add new corners. However the owners of the airport at the time, Fairey Aviation, stepped in and refused to allow the upgrades to go ahead, claiming that the developers who wanted to redesign the track couldn't pay the compensation for the profits that would be lost by closing the airport.

So, once again, motor racing seemed destined to be pushed back into insignificance. All hope seemed lost until 1949, when Enzo Ferrari donated a large amount of cash for the purchase of land and the construction of the redesigned Heathrow track outside of London. Construction began in March 1950 and was completed in August 1951. The track was merely a warped rectangle, but was used for many years as a testing ground cars and bikes alike with very few races being held there.

So it was again with great sadness that in 1959 Heathrow was closed yet again while designers went back to the drawing board and came up with a brand new track using very little of the original track, had lots of elevation changes, plenty of corners, and a heap of overtaking opportunities. In 1962 the redesigned Heathrow was once opened and racing began straight away, with the first ever race fittingly won by Enzo Ferrari in a "Past Masters" series. From then on the great Enzo had two corners of the track named after him, Enzo and Ferrari corner. In 1968 the circuit gained the rights to hold a second British Grand Prix in 1969, which was a huge honour at the time. However Formula 1 never gained a chance to race there after the owners of the track went bankrupt and the circuit was closed yet again. Enthusiasts managed to buy the track off the owners before they sold it to land developers and in 1970 racing resumed.

The track is known as a relatively safe circuit, with plenty of run-off all around the track. No fatalities have been recorded in official racing, however a young drag racer did pass away while testing illegally at the circuit in 1984. However safety is still paramount to the owners of the track, and continual upgrades of barriers, run-off and spectator safety is always being carried out to assure the fatalities remain at a minimum.

Lap Of The Track
Running in a clockwise direction, the lap starts with a long run around Runway Corner, which has drivers on edge as they cannot around the corner unless they are on the outside due to the pit wall on the inside. From there you quickly accelerate to turns 2 and 3, known as "The Loop". Turn 3 starts to dip down as you go down the hill into Enzo Hairpin, which is quite a bit lower than the main straight it runs parallel to. From there a quick burst of acceleration brings you to Ferrari Corner, which can be taken very fast for those drivers with no fear.

Out of Ferrari corner the track begins to climb again, and as you turn left into Foster's Chicane it is single file all the way as after the right hander is a blind brow before the track swoops down to 747 Corner, a sort of helixed corner where the track banks and also heads down. The track flattens yet again for the next turn, a right hander, before once again heading down the hill into Parallel Park, named because drivers going side by side can drive so slowly they are almost stopped. This part of the track is easily visible from the main straight, as it is lower than both the main straight and Enzo Hairpin. Out of the hairpin it is a gentle climb up the hill on the approach to Windsock Corner, which then flows into Burns Corner, named after the great Richard Burns.

From there the long back straight beckons, gently curving its way into the new AB Corner, which stands for Accelrate/Brake Corner. The chicance was put there to slow the drivers approach to the final corner which brings them onto the main straight to complete another lap of the Heathrow circuit.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1757460)   #11
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Your pretty good at this Chatters, I'm looking forward to see the rest!
Old 4 Nov 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1757468)   #12
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
No-one else seems to think so, or they'd be commenting on my good work.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1757598)   #13
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to your next track,because the two tracks which have you made are pretty good.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 4 Nov 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1757686)   #14
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like Heathrow Chatters, some people could say that it's perhaps a bit too tight in sections, but on closer inspection - I don't believe that to be the case.

Looking good.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1757690)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Love the design. However it doesn't really strike me as an airfield circuit - not that that matters
Old 4 Nov 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1757715)   #16
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heathrow looks cool chatters. Keep it up.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1757870)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a circuit I think it's ok, I'm not sure about the Fosters/747/Parallel Park section though
Old 4 Nov 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1757879)   #18
Yannick
Veteran

Your 'official' edit of Picton brings back a great track that had been voted out for safety reasons. Thanks.

Regarding the 2nd entry in your series, the first thing that I noticed is that the shape of the 'old' track looks very similar to the old Silverstone, where Runway would be Copse and Burns would be Club Corner. I feel something like Parallel Park would destroy Silverstone, so I prefer the pale grey shortcut that pushes 747 Corner back a few hundred yards.
But I also feel that I'm too biased towards the old version to say anything really productive about your current version of Heathrow.
Old 4 Nov 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1757954)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Well as I said in the history Yannick, it was originally built on an airfield similar to the origin of Silverstone, so maybe that's a factor too.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 05:28 (Ref:1763236)   #20
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Track #3: Paris International

"I love Paris International. The run up the hill is amazing. You want to stop, hop out of your car, and admire the view. In fact, I recall I did that once..." - Jean Alesi

Welcome to track #3 in the CRS: Paris International.

History

Old 11 Nov 2006, 05:39 (Ref:1763241)   #21
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Oops, that wasn't meant to post... Check back later, I'll finish it off.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1763419)   #22
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Looks great mate!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1763472)   #23
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me a bit of Sears point, and cadwell, interesting, i like!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1763548)   #24
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 100th post

Great track! And I have reached my 100th post!
Old 12 Nov 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1763752)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Track #3: Paris International

"I love Paris International. The run up the hill is amazing. You want to stop, hop out of your car, and admire the view. In fact, I recall I did that once..." - Jean Alesi

Welcome to track #3 in the CRS: Paris International.

History
Motorsport in Europe has always been a huge market. Many tracks in and around France have been built, and many are still maintained today. But none are quiet as unique as the Paris International Race Track.

In the early 1970s developers were looking for a site to build a new race circuit capable of holding a 24 hour race to exist alongside the Le Mans 24 Hours. It was a simple idea that turned into a huge success for France, and motorsport in general.

Construction on Paris International began in 1975, although it was not all smooth sailing. A dispute between local residents and developers over the amount of sound that would be generated because of the racing caused construction to be delayed while the case was taken to court. In July 1976, after construction had been stopped for 8 months, the track developers won and the track began to come together. The track was finished in August 1977 and the first race was held in September.

The track was originally built without the Lyon Corner to TT Turn section. However in an attempt to increase the maximum amount of entries for races, the entire set of turns and corners began construction in 1984 and was finished in October 1985, increasing the amount of maximum entries to a healthy 65.

Drivers had continual complaints about Turn 12, saying it was too tight and too slow. In July 1990 the Chicane Ruse was moved further towards Hell Hairpin to allow a easier turn and a more challenging chicane and hairpin combo.

Lap Of The Track
Runnning in a clockwise direction, the lap starts off with the flatout run through Strasbourg, a long, left hand sweeper. The track continues turning left all the way to the braking zone for Turn 2 at the Northern Loop. Right out of there, and a quick burst of acceleration before Turn 3, which is followed by another long, bending straight.

As you hit the brakes for Lyon, the track slowly starts climbing on the approach to the corner. Turn 5 is on a sharp gradient as the cars make their way up the hill. Through Turn 6 and the track dips down into The Bowl, a long, hard left hander sweeping turn, which climbs up again heading into Bourdeaux, the highest point in the circuit. The track then runs flat along the run to Paris, which has a spectacular view. In fact, after winning the World Touring Car Championship in 2003, Jean Alesi stopped up the top of the hill and posed for the cameras on top of his car.

Coming out of Paris the track begins a gentle descent down the hill, with the TT Turn section providing drivers with a tough challenge, as understeer is common in those parts. On the run down to Turn 12 the track once again evens out to run level with the main straight. Out of Turn 12 a quick burst on the throttle sends you into Chicane Ruse, a tight left-right corner. Quickly on the brakes into Hell Hairpin, and 100% throttle as you make your way to the start finish line to complete one lap of Paris International.