Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Mar 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1259591)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's News In The Franchise Factory?

Interesting to read the article in MN this week about the AutoBarn group considering their deal with RNR to be invalidated by an inability to run the AutoBarn-backed Alex Davison car for all rounds this season.

If this reporting is accurate, then it sounds a warning to other sponsors and teams in the sport... that the ducks really do have to be in a row before promising a shiny new car with all the sponsor stickers on it, that isnt able to race because the franchise becomes marginalised by the team preparing the car.

I doubt it is an accident that Mr White's BA is painted in the colours of Fujitsu/Adrad etc... admittedly with a couple of personal sponsors on Mr White's car only... to make up for Mr Owen's inability to participate in all rounds of the series.

So where am I headed with this?

Well it was also interesting to read that Mr Burfitt has been reported to have access to the corporate support to purchase a franchise, and preparation facility right about now.

I wonder then... as to the probability of the new sponsors alluded to by the article, and the reportedly discontented Autobarn, into a 2 car Davison Racing team... the 2 brothers racing one another in 2 Holdens or Fords...

Idle speculation as to low flying targets are too easy, and likely wrong... but more than a couple of L1s are for sale... everything is for sale at the right price of course...

Does the silly season regarding franchises continue to generate interest from more corporately aware motorsport patrons?

Imagine a scenario for a minute... say a team that announced a major new sponsor this season, is struggling with the funds coming from that sponsor... as they arent enormous, despite appearances.

Suppose that these two pockets of corporate support come aboard, and take this team out of the marketplace... and integrate the existing sponsorship (at a more realistic branding size...) with these major players...

Then the drivers are reshuffled, the team renamed... all is upside down and back the front....

Would something like that really happen right about now, with the "away" season almost in full swing? Stranger things have happened
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Mar 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1259624)   #2
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This and another post recently have me wondering if I have missed something. I thought it was Steve Owen and Paul Dumbrell that were not participating in all rounds of the series. Now you are suggesting that Davison will be sitting a few out, which fits with the other thing that I thought I had heard and misunderstood, which related to Dumbrell driving for the whole series. Has Larry pulled some magic, and given RNR a discount on preparing the car, on the basis that it won't get as much use as it was going to? (ie swapped the Dumbrell and Davison licences?).

And which team are you talking about, struggling with the funds from their major sponsor? Your description of the scenario doesn't seem to fit the usual whipping boy in these discussions, being Mr Wills. Although one of the Davison boys is supposed to have a contractual link to his remaining licence....
Old 23 Mar 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1259633)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Dumbrell is guaranteed a start at all rounds this year apparently... they played franchise swapperoo....

And there are a pair of Ford teams, and a pair of Holden teams allegedly taking expressions of interest....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Mar 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1259661)   #4
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, Ladies & Gentlemen, please start the speculation on which teams GTR Magic is talking about..... now.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1260085)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTR: Have you been watching a re-run or two of Dallas lately
Old 23 Mar 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1260252)   #6
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercheap? DJR? BJR?
All of those three have signed new sponsorship deals that may not be as enormous as indicated...
Old 24 Mar 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1260326)   #7
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll go with HSV/Buick........
Old 24 Mar 2005, 06:54 (Ref:1260458)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Supercheap is meant to be pretty good, although......well, we will have to see.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1261364)   #9
Bedford
Racer

Bedford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say DJR
Old 25 Mar 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1261387)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id say BJR and DJR are the two on the Ford side of the equation. I dont think Westpoint or BOC are putting the same level of funding into the teams as Shell and Ozemail were.

I think BJR could be the most realistic option. Brad and John arent really competitve in the sprint series races anymore (except when they are the only ones on slicks), Davison and Davidson in Autobahn BOC Falcons come 2006. The team remains BJR with Brad Jones stepping back to take a team management role with his brother. Both Brad and John could be retained for the enduros, or Bowe could try and find a new team at age (late forty something).

On the Holden side, i think GRM might be a target.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1261449)   #11
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the speculation is a long way off reguarding which team it is.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1261519)   #12
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wasnt it suggested the SuperCheap deal in 04 was a contra based around SuperCheap stores selling Castrol - any money came from Castrol not SuperCheap.

That suggests the SuperCheap deal is effectively the K Mart deal following Murph.
I am speculating, I know nuthink!!!
Old 25 Mar 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1261747)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I think the speculation is a long way off reguarding which team it is.
Not necessarily, I think two of the 4 teams have been mentioned here.. and Larko's makes 3....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1261935)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

That's a lot of teams. It must be a buyer's market, which makes a change for this category
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1261939)   #15
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gatorz spend HUGE money on sponsorship in the US. They are obviously looking to get into the Australian market. If things continue as they've started for this year for Gatorz Racing, DJR may have another main series sponsor in the wings for next year.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1261949)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
That's a lot of teams. It must be a buyer's market, which makes a change for this category
Its not really a buyers market... there is only one of them that may have a forced compulsion to sell... the others juat want to maximise the profit from something that cost them 4/5ths of stuff all in the first place..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1261950)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Forced compulsion? Interesting phrase.......based on?
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1261960)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Motorsport is usually structured on a partnership, where a few people are shared owners in a particular venture. When one of the owners doesnt want to play any more, and wants to cash out, and the other owners arent in the position to pay out the exit cost... then it may be a forced sale... not a fire sale... but a forced one nonetheless
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1261962)   #19
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Forced compulsion? Interesting phrase.......based on?
Doesn't that usually mean the creditors call in their debts???
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1261964)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170
Doesn't that usually mean the creditors call in their debts???
Creditors, long suffering wives... same thing really And arguably as ferocious as each other....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Mar 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1261968)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

That wouldn't be a shareholder in a team that runs out of QLD selling out to buy a particular team that runs out of Adelaide? The same shareholder is the manager of the Adelaide teams driver too, for memory.

Last edited by Just Do It!; 25 Mar 2005 at 23:08.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1261969)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Anything is possible

All that is confirmed for now is the franchise market is scheduled to go into overdrive (again... or is it still?) within weeks....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Mar 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1262043)   #23
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if I am wrong GTR but by my cound another 4 could change hands or identity.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1262077)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They could... if someone has enough sponduli to afford them all....

But unless the investment in the team beyond the purchase price is around the value of the purchase price, to upspec equipment and infrastructure, then the team being sold will either maintain position, or fall backwards....

The teams under consideration have not had major capital spent on them for a number of years....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Mar 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1262144)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

How sound are the said teams' naming rights sponsors? Surely that must be a big factor?