Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

View Poll Results: Which file format do you shoot in?
RAW 9 39.13%
Jpeg 14 60.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1371367)   #1
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex
Allen Mead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RAW or Jpeg?

Which format do you shoot in?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1371369)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always shoot jpeg, don't know why I just do.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1371376)   #3
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
Yeah, me too
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1371444)   #4
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use JPG. My PC just cannot handle the size of RAW files... so it has to be JPG. Also I've never been able to open raw .cr2 files directly in Photoshop 7, which doesn't help.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:27 (Ref:1371462)   #5
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Mead
Which format do you shoot in?
I only ever shoot RAW. For no other reason than I will have so much more flexibility further down the road should I need to. In fact, I don't think I have ever shot a jpeg image out of any of my 1D's, either when I shoot motorsports or my other line of work, horses.

Initially when I started shooting RAW it was a pain, but to me worth it to have a greater control over the end product (of course it makes sense to get it right first time as inevitably that saves you time when you have deadlines and such), that said, with the introduction of PS CS and now CS2 with the the Adobe Bridge software, I cannot see any reason for shooting JPEG aside from what others have said, and that being storage.

But storage is relatively cheap now, and CF cards are certainly not expensive anymore and I just cannot see any benefits. With RAW you have so much flexibility.

Andrew
Old 3 Aug 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1371474)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jpg.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1371532)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPG. Quicker with my camera.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 05:37 (Ref:1371619)   #8
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPEG can be sent straight from a laptop without much editing, Raw requires a bit more work so is not really suitable when publications wanted pictures yesterday.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1371648)   #9
ehasler
Rookie

ehasler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both

RAW + small jpg

The small jpgs are great for being able to stick up on the net quickly and for sorting out what images are keepers, as at 15MB each, browsing a whole lot of RAW files takes an age, even on a fast PC... Once I've sorted out the good ones, I've then got the RAW files to process for any images which warrant it.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1371665)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I keep meaning to give RAW a real shot but I dont currently have the time to put the post shoot processing in. Then again I'm also not 100% with what exactly is involved so have shyed away from it. That should perhaps be my project for the off season while also trying to diversify. Can anybody point us RAW virgins to a good publication/website about the joys & benefits of RAW???
Old 4 Aug 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1371675)   #11
Allen Mead
Racer

United Kingdom
The only thing I don't like about RAW is the file size, on a 1gb card, I can fit 241 jpeg images at full res, with RAW, this gets reduced down to about 71 pics which is less than half!

However, compairing both formats last night, I see why people use RAW
Old 4 Aug 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1371740)   #12
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
JPEG can be sent straight from a laptop without much editing, Raw requires a bit more work so is not really suitable when publications wanted pictures yesterday.
i can imagine the reaction from our picture desk at 3.45 on a saturday afternoon or at the end of a GP if i said "hold on i've just got to download and do post production on my raw files"

cue -
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1371866)   #13
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPEG, not had a chance to try RAW yet, besides my pc is not the best in the world to process images on!!!!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1371875)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
JPEG - I can get more on my card and I'm hopeless at editing the pictures anyway (other than cropping).
Old 4 Aug 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1371986)   #15
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
i can imagine the reaction from our picture desk at 3.45 on a saturday afternoon or at the end of a GP if i said "hold on i've just got to download and do post production on my raw files"

cue -

There'd be no need if you have your workflow down. For example I will not wait until the end of the day to dump images and edit. Editing happens throughout the day and subsequently the only batch that you're likely to have left to process would be the end of the race/final events.

When I shoot CHAMP I shoot for LAT and they have all my images ready to go Sunday night. Using CS2 and Adobe Bridge to process (convert/crop/color process etc) my edits to JPEGS is really very straight forward and simple (dump cards, edit and process - I simply leave my laptop processing images whilst I go off and shoot some more - plus I don't shoot everything that moves as there's no need).

Plus, I feel you're providing a better quality image IMO and it doesn't take me anymore time than someone handling jpegs.

Andrew
Old 4 Aug 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1372059)   #16
kdr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew W

There'd be no need if you have your workflow down. For example I will not wait until the end of the day to dump images and edit. Editing happens throughout the day and subsequently the only batch that you're likely to have left to process would be the end of the race/final events.

When I shoot CHAMP I shoot for LAT and they have all my images ready to go Sunday night. Using CS2 and Adobe Bridge to process (convert/crop/color process etc) my edits to JPEGS is really very straight forward and simple (dump cards, edit and process - I simply leave my laptop processing images whilst I go off and shoot some more - plus I don't shoot everything that moves as there's no need).

Plus, I feel you're providing a better quality image IMO and it doesn't take me anymore time than someone handling jpegs.

Andrew
i don't really have time for that at most events i cover, i'm more worried about getting my pictures sharp!