Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Mar 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3216555)   #1
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post Chief Report Form

Hi guys,
During a training session today i had a eeerrrrmmmmm intresting type though as regards to the Post Chief report Form
The form stated if a "Major Incident" form was filled out.
But why does it not ask if a "Serious Incident" form was filled out.
just wondering on peoples sensible answers/thoughts
Old 10 Mar 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3216599)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I've got three versions of the relevant form in the folder I keep my paperwork in. One, MSA-branded, is headed "Major Incident Information", the MSVR version is headed "Serious Incident Information" while the BARC version is a "Serious Incident Form". . . Post Chief's Report Forms ask for a "Major Incident Form".

Just use the form supplied by the organising club, or failing that the MSA version - they all require the same information.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3216600)   #3
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitions, A major incident is when the external services are involved, for example a car jumps the fence and lands in the car park, ambulances/police/fire/hems are called. The post chief will still need to do an incident report, Car 7 hit car 4 car 4 jumps fence but he will also need to do a major incident form.
I hope that was the answer you were after, if not someone else will be along in a while.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3216624)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
Definitions, A major incident is when the external services are involved, for example a car jumps the fence and lands in the car park, ambulances/police/fire/hems are called. The post chief will still need to do an incident report, Car 7 hit car 4 car 4 jumps fence but he will also need to do a major incident form.
I hope that was the answer you were after, if not someone else will be along in a while.
Sorry, but that is NOT the definition of a major incident in this (or probably any) context. The Major Incident (or whatever) form is used to record information relevant to an injured driver, such as times of arrival of doctor/rescue unit, condition of belts & helmet, etc - it does not record any information about the incident itself, that's the function of the Post Chief's Report form.

. . . & a report form should never contain comments like "Car 7 hit car 4 " - that's an opinion. It should be written as "contact occurred" & the events leading to the contact described, with the aid of a diagram to clarify to enable the Clerk of the Course to make an informed decision as to culpability.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3216644)   #5
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was on the understanding that a Serious Incident was when you called rescue/doctor out to an incident and a Major Incident was when emergency services from outside were called in to help.
So the actual information recorded on both these forms are the same ?
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3216645)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
i was on the understanding that a Serious Incident was when you called rescue/doctor out to an incident and a Major Incident was when emergency services from outside were called in to help.
My understanding is that is that there is one form (albeit with different names, as referenced in Dave's post above), to cover all eventualities of a significant nature (e.g. a doctor being called) that can't be recorded on the standard MSA Post Chief's Report Form.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3216647)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
I've never heard or seen definitions of "serious" & "major" incidents. To the best of my knowledge it's just different clubs & organisations using different nomenclature for the same form - the key word there being "same".

The normal report form covers, & is required for, every incident, however serious. The second form, call it what you will, is supplementary to the Post Chief's report & only very infrequently needed, normally if the driver is taken away from the circuit, to hospital or worse.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 10 Mar 2013 at 12:31.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3216666)   #8
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Cheers guys for the replies and i think that clears that one up
Old 10 Mar 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3216759)   #9
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly as far as BARC is concerned it became a 'Serious Incident Form' because 'Major Incident' now has a statutory meaning and we wished to avoid any chance of miscommunication or misunderstanding.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3216791)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A serious incident form is needed if a driver is sent to hospital, the med stats will show this and the MSA Steward will need the form to send to Colnbrook with their paperwork. I am also not aware of any distinction between major and serious.

Common sense says that at the time of an incident you don't know what the outcome will be so if you think that you have someone injured then it makes sense to jot down any relevant detail, timings etc in case you are asked for them later.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3216818)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Sorry, but that is NOT the definition of a major incident in this (or probably any) context.
Actually, sorry to correct Dave, but it's almost the right definition in the context of the emergency services.

Generally speaking, a Major Incident is where the onsite resources are unable to cope with the incident - classic example is a car in a spectator area. Each circuit will have a Major Incident Plan prepared with co-operation from the local emergency services to identify pre-planned access routes and other resiliance points.

Obviously, what was traditionally defined as a "Major Incident" on Observer's/Post Chief's Reports (injury to a driver) may not fall within this definition or require the circuit's Major Incident Plan to be put into action. Hence why some clubs are now defining an injury to a driver etc as a Serious Incident - see what Teletubby says. It's not standard yet, and explains why it's still referred to as a "Major Incident From" on the stanrd Post Chief's Report.

In practical terms - it doesn't make any difference. The "Major Incident Form" (as described on the MSA report) is completed in the event of an driver injury on whatever form the club calls it. If there is a Major Incident, then there will be no additional form the Post Chief needs to fill out beyond those two - just make sure the original report is spot on!! There may well be paperwork for the club / circuits to complete however!!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3216911)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the Silverstone training day yesterday we were told that for the Grand Prix the police objected to it being called a Major Incident form, their definition of a major incident is different to ours, so ours was changed to Serious Incident.

Don't for get that in the Blue Book Post Chiefs are still called Observers in some places so it will take a while for MSA to catch up!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3216933)   #13
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
Actually, sorry to correct Dave, but it's almost the right definition in the context of the emergency services.

Generally speaking, a Major Incident is where the onsite resources are unable to cope with the incident - classic example is a car in a spectator area. Each circuit will have a Major Incident Plan prepared with co-operation from the local emergency services to identify pre-planned access routes and other resiliance points.

Obviously, what was traditionally defined as a "Major Incident" on Observer's/Post Chief's Reports (injury to a driver) may not fall within this definition or require the circuit's Major Incident Plan to be put into action. Hence why some clubs are now defining an injury to a driver etc as a Serious Incident - see what Teletubby says. It's not standard yet, and explains why it's still referred to as a "Major Incident From" on the stanrd Post Chief's Report.

In practical terms - it doesn't make any difference. The "Major Incident Form" (as described on the MSA report) is completed in the event of an driver injury on whatever form the club calls it. If there is a Major Incident, then there will be no additional form the Post Chief needs to fill out beyond those two - just make sure the original report is spot on!! There may well be paperwork for the club / circuits to complete however!!
Exactly.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3216938)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post

Well, I never knew that! My apologies to anyone I may have misled. However, in the context of the original post it's one & the same form.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3217026)   #15
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All local authorities have a Major Incident Plan - e.g. the petrol depot blowing up in Hertfordshire; terrorists blowing up London's transport system; an aircraft crash landing on the M1 etc etc.

There is an attempt (probably quite rightly) to distinguish between an event occurring in the county that requires implementation of this plan and an event at a race circuit that can be dealt with by the circuit resources (i.e. us). Given that we use (often) open radio channels, a PC calling in a "Major Incident" may be misunderstood by a passing county official.

Funny the things you pick up at a training day ...
Old 11 Mar 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3217080)   #16
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the concern from the external services is that we have a tight definition of a major incident. A basic interpretation is where the resources required go beyond those immediately available. So in the example given earlier a car in a spectator area may not be a major incident if there are enough ambulances available to deal with the casualties. I have made ambulances 7 (i.e. get me 7 ambulances pronto) at incidents before and not declared a major incident. Whilst this is OK at weekends (more resources) it would not work in the week (less resources at night). So a taxi involved RTI on a Saturday night may not be a major incident whilst one a Wednesday could well be. The problem is that as soon as an emergency services bod hears the phrase 'major incident' we tend to change tack and start involving a whole command structure that reaches up to God himself. The most recent major incident for my ambo service was the M5 at Taunton. I would say that 'major incident' encompasses the Le Mans 1955 incident and possibly the recent NASCAR at Daytona, though that may well have been stood down quite quickly.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 17:23 (Ref:3217095)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we're at real risk of making this a lot more complicated than it ought to be!

If you have a scenario where you think a driver (or marshal or spectator) might be shipped off to hospital then assume that you may have to fill in a serious incident form for the MSA's benefit.

To add more confusion every circuit will have a Major Incident Plan as well but this is not what is being discussed.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3217139)   #18
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
a Major Incident was when emergency services from outside were called in to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Generally speaking, a Major Incident is where the onsite resources are unable to cope with the incident
glad to see i wasn't dreaming that one.
but the issue is now looking a lot clearer
Old 11 Mar 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3217186)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Anybody else spot the irony here? The original confusion appears to have been caused by a change in terminology apparently intended to avoid confusion!

. . . and the moral is?
Old 11 Mar 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3217215)   #20
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
. . . and the moral is?
Ignore Dave Brand as he`s becoming old and senile !!!!!!
Old 12 Mar 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3217361)   #21
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
becoming ?
Old 12 Mar 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3217374)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
. . . & a report form should never contain comments like "Car 7 hit car 4 " - that's an opinion. It should be written as "contact occurred" & the events leading to the contact described, with the aid of a diagram to clarify to enable the Clerk of the Course to make an informed decision as to culpability.
Off Topic: I was RECENTLY given report forms which were in the handy "Tick the box and fill in the numbers" style. Among the options:
  • Car ___ crashed into Car ___
  • Car ___ rammed Car ___
Erm... NO!
Old 12 Mar 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3217423)   #23
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is currently a tick box for "Car Lost Control".........how do we know that?
Old 12 Mar 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3217462)   #24
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
There is currently a tick box for "Car Lost Control".........how do we know that?
I thought it was the driver who was supposed to be in control. In my limited experience if the car's in control you're already on your way to the scene of the accident .

Steve
Old 12 Mar 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3217570)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Crook View Post
Ignore Dave Brand as he`s becoming old and senile !!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding View Post
becoming ?

Dave Brand . . . who's he?