Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2003, 13:49 (Ref:653875)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Done ITV

Well done ITV - putting adverts on during the last lap and slowing down lap and then playing music when they went to the ad break at the end of the race.

Well Done ITV
Old 6 Jul 2003, 13:52 (Ref:653877)   #2
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear, hear.
(in parliamentary speak)

Did ITV have some sort of technical glitch because things like that shouldn't happen.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:03 (Ref:653887)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice of them to apologise.

On a general note: James Allen was particularly bad today. "Martin what is the psychological situation at Williams" - give me strength. Combine that with Jim! Argh!
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:653890)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
My favourite Allenisms from today was "Martin, is that team-orders?" when referring to Montoya easing off at the end.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:653898)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was ITV's game?

The Radio 5 extra coverage ended very quickly as well.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:13 (Ref:653900)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the R5 coverage tends to go away quickly they just do the race really. Only a few minutes before and after. They normally stick around for the last lap though
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:16 (Ref:653903)   #7
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMAO!

I didn't get adverts on the last lap in the HTV region.

Poor you!
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:17 (Ref:653905)   #8
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was apalling, they could at least have apologised for the cock-up. I was sitting through the ads thinking "what the **** are they doing" and positively fuming when that bloody music came on, plus James Allen was embarassingly bad. The was he introduced Mike Gascoyne, by shouting "MIKE GASCOYNE, RENAULT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR" made me cringe.

And don't forget the Count, who made his own cock-up introducing Louise Goodman as Ted Kravitz (I think) and then making an irritated noise over the top of the interview with DC to boot.

I miss the BBC.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:18 (Ref:653907)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nor me down here in the south. Unlucky guys.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:20 (Ref:653912)   #10
ribbo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Southampton
ribbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and when they missed rubens spin at the start.. although that was largly the fault of the aussie director.. planks!
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:23 (Ref:653915)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing with Jim introducinh Louise as ted amde me laugh, although Murray introducing "Louise Allen" twice i the same race was worse.

The whole coverage seemed poor today. Budnle assumig that the smoking Reanult was Trulli was especially slack.

No adverts on the last lap down here, what a silly mistake that was.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 14:26 (Ref:653918)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Budnle assumig that the smoking Reanult was Trulli was especially slack.
not after they had just been told that Trulli had an engine problem. A natural assumption really.

"...and Ralf Schumacher goes STRAIGHT OFF THE TRACK!!"

he he
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:03 (Ref:653936)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yes, he got very excited about what was quite a minor moment. James is going to get the shock of a life time when he meets the fans at Goodwood next week.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:10 (Ref:653941)   #14
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The adverts thing... On Yorkshire it went to ads, so I switched my TV to Central. That was fine, so I watched the rest of the race on that
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:16 (Ref:653947)   #15
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Serious question: do you think there's any chance James will get the boot at the end of the year? His employers must be realising both what a **** job he's doing and how unpopular he is with the fans....we've speculated about replacements before but is there actually anyt chance?

I think I'm going to set the TV to mute next time and listen to the R5 commentary instead.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:53 (Ref:653973)   #16
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the "commentary" performance of the last couple of races has been particularly appalling - it sounds more like a chat over dinner than commentary on a motor race.

It also seems to me that they've dropped the noise of the cars so low in the mix that the continuous droning of JA has become even more sleep inducing.

Lets hope someone in the ITV echelons takes notice soon.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:56 (Ref:653977)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It's one of these threads again. Hmmm lovely. Time to mutter (type) those two words of reminder.

Ben Edwards.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 15:57 (Ref:653978)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I don't actually think they have noticed, why would they, there is no other option so they have nothing to gauge it against. If you go over to the ITV forums I'm sure you'll find no topics such as this (although I haven't actually looked). I fear drafting in Ben Edwards is still some way off .
Old 6 Jul 2003, 16:00 (Ref:653981)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Bad coverage today, but also a bad (boring) race.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 16:04 (Ref:653986)   #20
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
It's one of these threads again. Hmmm lovely. Time to mutter (type) those two words of reminder.

Ben Edwards.
Couldn't agree more - especially since he's on the ITV books as well.

As for it being a boring race, yes it was - but the skill of a good commentator is to make a boring situation interesting rather than making it almost insufferable.

I found myself wishing for the ability of muting the commentary and just watching it with the rest of the noise intact.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 6 Jul 2003 at 16:07.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 16:21 (Ref:653998)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
[B}The Radio 5 extra coverage ended very quickly as well. [/B]
I think 5live end pretty quicky due to the Wimbledon final.

As for the ITV problem, looks like it was just a YTV problem not an ITV wide problem.........

Last edited by rdjones; 6 Jul 2003 at 16:23.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 16:23 (Ref:653999)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
As for the ITV problem, looks like it was just a YTV problem not not ITV as a whole problem.........
Ah it's grim up north

Saved us from some of James doing his little round up. Silver lining.

Last edited by Adam43; 6 Jul 2003 at 16:25.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 16:25 (Ref:654001)   #23
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV coverage has been an absolute joke since day one. I knew it was going to be pants as soon as I heard that bloody signature tune (it's still rubbish by the way) as opposed to the Fleetwood Mac (I think) music on BBC. "dang dang dang dang dang dang dang da da daaaang. Remember?
I think they reached an all time low today when Jim (I know **** all about any type of motorsport whatsoever) was interviewing Flavio B and started asking him about his taste in bedtime companions. If i'd have been FB i'd have given him one on the chin that he wouldn't forget in a hurry. Cheeky ****! At least we were spared the cringe inducing "Martins grid walk" Comme back BBC PLEASE.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 17:03 (Ref:654016)   #24
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
As for the ITV problem, looks like it was just a YTV problem not an ITV wide problem.........
Nope, wasn't just Yorkshire, it was Granada as well. I'd only got home and switched on the TV with 5 laps to go. Then it cut to the ads on the last lap, mid ad break it went back to the track for a split second, looked like it was just after Ralf had crossed the line, then a bit more adverts, Montoya approaching the line for a split second, then back to adverts. It was difficult to tell what we actually saw of the finish because we saw so little of it.
If there was an apology I didn't hear it, decided I was fed up with it and switched off the TV.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 17:59 (Ref:654046)   #25
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were we spared a Brundle grid walk just in case someone said a naughty word again.
Norbert and DC will be no-go for " live " interviews from now then.
ITV are way too sensitive about it.