Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Mar 2002, 19:42 (Ref:226062)   #1
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas Sheckter crashes into his team owner

I think Tomas a a great talent , and its good to see him in the IRL , Eddie Cheever turned away Al Unser Jnr to give Tomas his debut in the IRL .

So how does Tomas pay his boss back ???...he punts him out of the race on lap 2 !!!

whoops !
Old 2 Mar 2002, 20:18 (Ref:226099)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haa haa hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! had he seen a hooker in the infield or summat??
Old 2 Mar 2002, 20:23 (Ref:226105)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he hung in there and finished 6th, not bad for first race after losing a lap so early on.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 20:47 (Ref:226117)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Ridiculous. Should never have been charging that hard, that early. I'm sure that he could tell before he climbed into the car that it was windy. Cheever gave him tons of room, and was rightfully upset. Actually, that's too light of a word. He was steamin'.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:22 (Ref:226135)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas should never have gotten the seat. Dan Wheldon should have. He would neever knock his team boss out of the race.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 23:47 (Ref:226217)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well i think Tomas has proved that he has alot of talent , but this incident also proved he is very inexperienced.

old Eddie wasnt backwards in coming forwards about it in his interview either and i hope they dont have a major falling out over this , but tomas does need his wrist slapped over it thats for sure.
im sure he will learn by it and hopefully he can make amends in future races.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 10:27 (Ref:226656)   #7
SILVERS95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Tomas should never have gotten the seat. Dan Wheldon should have. He would neever knock his team boss out of the race.
i do like Tomas , he is very fast , but i have to say that the only person that i thought deserved the drive more than him was Dan Wheldon.
but tomas got the drive , so i wil be follwing him this year . But , wow , what a stupid mistake to make on your debut.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 15:47 (Ref:226895)   #8
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
beautiful man....beautiful

such a perfect irl type of move.....

tomas is going to be a crowd favorite.....

eddie......you are so over.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 23:15 (Ref:227355)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was an F3000 type of bonehead move!
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:21 (Ref:227911)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas has proven himself quite quick in these cars, but he has very little racing milage in them. Oval racing is a totally different game than what he is used to, and I think his early success in testing may have made him over confident. Still, the guy got sixth place in his very first oval race in the world's toughest league. He probably got a rabid ass-chewing from Eddie and won't make the same mistake again.
Old 4 Mar 2002, 18:48 (Ref:227942)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by botsquad
[B]
"beautiful man....beautiful"

Well I'd never say when someone gets into the wall its beautiful!

"such a perfect irl type of move....."
You obviously havn't seen the duesls on the big tracks

"tomas is going to be a crowd favorite....."
In time he will be

"eddie......you are so over. "
no yet
Old 7 Mar 2002, 03:57 (Ref:229729)   #12
everett brown
Rookie

everett brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddies teammate

I dont belive the south african will make that same mistake twice. Its going to be a learning experinance all yr long and he will find himself out a ride if it happens twice. Ican think of some guys out iof the super modified series that wouled have been better choices but perhaps it was a "rent a ride" sort of a deal, since most IRL teams are underfunded. Time will tell how he stacks up. He wont ever beat Sam Hornish thas for sure. What a fast smart driver he is.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 22:25 (Ref:230324)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not so sure there.Tomas is very quick.

he could win the championship in his rookie year i think.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 10:21 (Ref:230727)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah. If Penske switches to the ALMS and Hornish gets pregnant.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 17:54 (Ref:231754)   #15
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam is pregnant?
Old 10 Mar 2002, 01:47 (Ref:231990)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
omg , thats amazing congratulations sam
Old 10 Mar 2002, 13:56 (Ref:232193)   #17
SILVERS95
Veteran

Penske in ALMS should be good too !
Old 12 Mar 2002, 16:48 (Ref:233643)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not exactly a brilliant thing to do, crashing into your own team owner. Still, he finished the race strong, in 6th position. Shows he's got the speed, but lacks in experience of course, this being his very first oval race. He's got potential.

Last edited by R; 12 Mar 2002 at 16:50.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 20:02 (Ref:233784)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas has always been on the edge in every series he's ever raced in that ive seen. I think once he settles down abit in th IRL series , he might even have the pace to give Hornish a run for his money.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 16:48 (Ref:237565)   #20
Greg Murray
Rookie

Greg Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a rumour that next year he will be replaced by F1 Red-Bull Sposored Enrique Bernoldi.
Old 17 Mar 2002, 19:13 (Ref:237708)   #21
everett brown
Rookie

Greg, I heard the same thing, i know this much, i have followed Indy car racing since 1957 and feel strongly that Tomas will not make a home there. Indy will be his wake up call, it allways is for a rookie. I wish him all the luck. Even the great Jimmy Clark had a really hard time running alonside a concrete wall. And Jimmy was a gutsy, gutsy guy. Tomas doesnt have enough experince to cut the grade in oval racing, my opinion only.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 00:02 (Ref:237937)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't watch a lot of IRL racing, but if Tomas is as inexperienced as everyone makes him out to be, then he is doing one hell of a job out there! He outqualified his more experience owner by a mile, and was pushing his way through the field when he was forced out with engine problems.

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season, but from what I've seen of him so far, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him win a race or two this year.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Mar 2002, 01:43 (Ref:237997)   #23
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I agree Jay.

he has speed by the bucket full , give the guy a chance i say , who knows he may have just found his place in life where everything gels perfectly.

but then again he may not have.

so far despite his indiscretion at Miami he has been pretty impressive.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 03:36 (Ref:238051)   #24
everett brown
Rookie

Its time to eat some crow. Having gone to the IRL this sunday I can only say that Tomas has shown real class on the Phx mile, he craved his way towards the front only to lose a engine. The Cheever crew loves him, Eddie loves him and i belive he couled be excatly what eddie wants to replace when the slow aging Eddie knows the day is going to come to retire and turn ones attention full time on the team that he owns. |Red Bull will love it because I saw a huge support group for Team Cheever. American Sam Hornish chose to low of gears for 6th gear and therefor watch the Marlboro dueo drive off into the sunset. Good stuff indeed, this IRL oval racing. First rate job by young Tomas.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 15:28 (Ref:256537)   #25
JohnnyBravo
Rookie

JohnnyBravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give him a break! He'll be good given a minute to get to grips with the series and the circuits. He was pretty good in F3 and F1 shame about the hooker though!