Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Apr 2003, 19:05 (Ref:579777)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When To Hang It Up

After watching Mario Andretti's rocket-like take-off and the horrific landing that followed, I pose a question: When is it time for an athlete or driver to hang it up, to retire for good and should anyone be held responsible other than Mario himself? I mean the man is 63 years old! Do any of you know anybody that age that can perform at a professional level in any sport? Do you think his reflexes can possibly be as quick as they were in his twenties , thirties, or even forties? His bones, joints, and ligaments are certainly not as stong and loose as they should be, and what about eyesight and hearing? I think he's lucky as hell to have walked away!

I think this was a stupid thing to do, we almost lost a national treasure yesterday, and for what? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I posted this here because of what Mario means to CART.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 20:16 (Ref:579870)   #2
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose only Mario can make that decision, and I think that when it comes, it will be sudden.

Many drivers (and other professional sportsmen) have walked away when they no longer enjoy their trade.
In motorsport, this means that the risks no longer outweigh the sheer love of racing.

In Andretti's case, his love of racing seems to be all-consuming, and that is the central issue.

Perhaps its different if he were actively racing (someone correct me if he is racing regularly), because that puts additional risk on those around him.
(but... thats assuming that age makes mistakes more likely, which is not necessarily accurate)
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:11 (Ref:579923)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters. If a guy like Mario was 80 and wanted to drive, but was only fast enough for Barber Dodge that's fine. Most drivers seem to feel like they've accomplished what they've set out to and hang up their hat. Mario competed in so many series because he likes it. It's not a surprise that he's still doing it.

That said, when you get older the consequences get higher. Mario's no spring chicken and he can get injured more easily then a younger guy. As long as he's satisfyed with the risks I guess it's okay. He raced in an era not nearly as safe as it is today...even the crapwagons.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:29 (Ref:579942)   #4
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWIW, it has been reported that Mario had a physical before undertaking this little endeavour - and his eyesight was deemed to be as good as it was when he quit full time racing 10 years ago.

At the end of the day, it's Mario's decision, and I really believe that he wouldn't endanger other drivers by being out there if he wasn't up to the task.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:579945)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, in Mario's defense, he only wrecked because Brack left his car strewn across the track.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:59 (Ref:579965)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more Lee. I don't think top (younger) drivers like PT, Vasser or a M. Schumacher could have got out of the way in time from colliding with pieces of Brack's car.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 21:59 (Ref:579966)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, in any case, before allowing any driver into an important series, be it CART or IRL, they have to have a minimum of physical abilities and Mario has them.

He's doing whatever he wants, and we should not decide for him... To me he could do the full CART championship...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:05 (Ref:579971)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Marios been burning to get back in an Indycar since he left, deep down I reckon he wishes he could race it. I remember him in the 70s in F1 and he was the racer no doubt. Sure he got involved in incidents with Hunt, Watson , Scheckter etc but thats because he always will have the fire burning in him.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:26 (Ref:579986)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I feel at some point, the governing bodies of these sports has to step in and say no, you can't race anymore, or box, or play football. Of course Mario's desire is still there, but is he blinded by it? Shouldn't an outside voice of reason and authority step in and say no?

Also you have to ask the question, was he being used by the IRL for his name? Whether he broke the track record or crashed(which he did!) they got alot of publicity out of it, so it was a win win situation for them. Did they act responsibly?

In my gut, I just don't like it, senior citizens shouldn't drive race cars(no offence to any seniors!)

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:33 (Ref:579992)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

You're completely entitled to your opinion, but I'd bet money on Mario still being able to wipe the floor with _anyone_ on this forum.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:42 (Ref:580001)   #11
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In an interview with Maguire, Mario said that Paul Newman was his measuring stick and that he would never officially retire from racing again. Mario has been racing for decades, in the times when drivers were still dying left and right. He knows the danger as well as anyone. Old age is nothing to a born racer if they still have the skills. I once read a story on this forum about a decrepid Fangio who shocked everyone with his driving at a charity/racing event. What happened at Indy was a near tragedy but Mario still has the "juice" and he has my support as a fan if he wants to keep racing.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 23:47 (Ref:580039)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe his reflexes aren't as fast, but there is a wealth of experience there. Remember: "Age and cunning will beat youth and speed every time!" Mario has the cunning - and still has the speed.

From what I've seen, nobody could have avoid the wreckage from Brack's car no matter what their age. If Mario wants to go out and show these guys what real talent looks like, I say go right ahead! If he still has the ability to compete, then age should not be the determining factor. It would be like telling Einstein "You are too old to think, stop it!" While this does not entail the same physical risk I think you get the point.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 00:20 (Ref:580048)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think he should be driving either. If he wants to drive, get him in a sportscar or something.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 00:31 (Ref:580050)   #14
Prost!
Rookie

Prost! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
In my gut, I just don't like it, senior citizens shouldn't drive race cars(no offence to any seniors!)
SSSHHHHHH... lest they place asterisks next to events Paul Newman won as a senior citizen.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 00:40 (Ref:580052)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JonesF1
I once read a story on this forum about a decrepid Fangio who shocked everyone with his driving at a charity/racing event.
I've read two stories about that, actually. One in which Fangio nearly demolishes pre-war lap record at Donnington in a pre-war Mercedes GP car that sat in a museum since the war broke out, on the very same tires it was parked with!

The other was about him absolutely stunning everyone present while trying out a small formula car at Brands, while there to decide whether or not to buy some of the cars for a racing school in Argentina. Again, nearly besting the lap record for the car, while short-shifting the whole time as he was told to baby the motor.

Just goes to show... With some guys, it's learned... With others, driving a race car is just second nature.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Apr 2003 at 00:41.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 00:42 (Ref:580054)   #16
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met Mario for the last time about eight months ago, when he autographed a picture I had taken with him early in the 2002 season. We chatted about the (then) possible development of a (Mario) Andretti Racing Team, and I had the chance to ask him "would you like to go back and drive one day?".

Then I did one of the most stupid things I have ever done, as I immediately added "I mean, not Champ Cars, but maybe historic rallies or the Monterrey Historics..."

He pretended (or not...) to get angry with me and swifly replied "what do you mean by not doing CART?", looking deeply in to my eyes. Everybody around stopped and the silence was oppressing. One could hear a pindrop, and I could feel the heat blushing my cheeks, as I was extremely embarrassed.

He noticed that, just to put a hand in my shoulder and proceed "hey, let's take a walk in the paddock and see if you can find me a place in one of the teams, who knows..."

What a man.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 00:48 (Ref:580056)   #17
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: When To Hang It Up

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I mean the man is 63 years old! Do any of you know anybody that age that can perform at a professional level in any sport?
Gordie Howe. He did pretty well too, well, not bad anyway.

Mario is a legend, and why would a car designed with so much downforce take flight like that? What is this, powerboat racing? Oh right, it's the IRL...

My advice for Mario, "Don't do anything stupid." But who would listen to me anyway...
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:04 (Ref:580065)   #18
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to be on the track at better than 200mph, I would rather have Mario next to me than 3/4 of the field that will be running the 500 on race day.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:22 (Ref:580081)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario's done racing at Indy:
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0423/1543659.html

Is it just me or has the Team Green car gone from one of the nicest in motorsport last year to a candidate for the most butt ugly car ever?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Apr 2003, 01:25 (Ref:580083)   #20
Prost!
Rookie

Prost! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Maybe his reflexes aren't as fast, but there is a wealth of experience there. Remember: "Age and cunning will beat youth and speed every time!" Mario has the cunning - and still has the speed.

From what I've seen, nobody could have avoid the wreckage from Brack's car no matter what their age. If Mario wants to go out and show these guys what real talent looks like, I say go right ahead! If he still has the ability to compete, then age should not be the determining factor. It would be like telling Einstein "You are too old to think, stop it!" While this does not entail the same physical risk I think you get the point.
I couldn't agree more. It reminds me of FAA rules forcibly retiring commercial pilots at age 60. I believe each case should be judged on its own merits. If a pilot, or a driver, in Mario's case, can pass physical agility, dexterity and or eye exam tests, then age should not be a factor.

In the case of Mario, I believe if he decided to qualify a good car, he would put the damn thing up towards the top half of the field. He did not embarrass himself yesterday, nor would he in May if he decides to qualify a car. The only problem I can guess for Mario, would be in an actual racing situation. Remember, Mario has not been in race conditions for a long while & may have some difficulty dealing with the traffic. Qualifying & racing, as we know, are two very different situations.

I seem to recall Big Al stating towards the end, when he was running at Indy only, that the traffic aspect(i.e. racing?!)was most challenging after a long layoff.

Personally, I've always worried more about guys whom are making their first run at Indianapolis without prior USAC, CART or IRL racing experience. Indy hardly seems the grounds for cutting one's teeth so to speak. The Clarks, Brabhams & Stewarts of the world nothwithstanding, guys like Phillipe Gache, Jack Miller, & a whole host of Japanese drivers that are able to receive backing because they & their sponsors wish to partake in such an event - those are the guys that just might scare the devil out of others at Indy.

Lastly, if you research commericial airline disasters, a disproportionate amount of accidents where human error was involved have been attributed to, according to many final crash reports, that most pilots in such cases had far less experience in terms of flight hours compared with their older, & more experienced peers. In the case of a pilot, I'd bet he'd be more likely to crash as a result of a heart attack rather than human error!

That said, Mario's vast experience has got to count for something around that place, and if his bones are more brittle than a younger mans, than so be it. The choice to dust off his helmet ultimately belongs to Mario. To his credit, yesterdays accident was not a result of slow reflexes, or poor eyesight or anything else attributable to his age.

I'm with Lee Janotta on this one... who are any of us to suggest restrictions on a guy that would mop up the place with all of us?!

Prost!
Old 25 Apr 2003, 03:01 (Ref:580117)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mario feels he is still up to it both physically & mentally i say good on him as i don't feel age has anything to do with it, only one person will know when it's time for him to hang up his helmet & that is Mario Andretti.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 16:41 (Ref:580769)   #22
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's another article. Sounds like he's done to me. But I don't think his age had anything at all to do with the crash. I'm just glad he walked away from this one & won't get back in one of those things.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-1715-037.html
Old 25 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:580770)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Prost!
guys like Phillipe Gache, Jack Miller, & a whole host of Japanese drivers

It's hardly fair to compare Philippe with someone like Doctor Jack.....
Old 25 Apr 2003, 18:02 (Ref:580867)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double post.

Last edited by Liz; 25 Apr 2003 at 18:03.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 18:03 (Ref:580868)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as someone wants to pay Mario to drive, or give him a drive, then he has inspired someone to believe that he's better than all available alternatives. And if that is the case, why should he not continue to drive?

Having seen him at Le Mans 2000 (and having noted like everyone that he was 8 seconds off the pace and causing his co-drivers to triple-stint to make up for him), no one could doubt his heart and soul is still in racing. When he's no longer capable, someone will say "No."